One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-20 22:11:40

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: End Trigger

3dzZ0DL.png

Another week of glorious bug fixes.  The list is still pretty long, but I made a dent in it.

Over the past few weeks, I've been watching the server-wide arcs rise and fall.  More recently, the arcs have been getting shorter and shorter.  The arc currently ends when there's only one family left, and families have been dying out very quickly.

For example, here's the family population graph of a recent arc:

yXFYI8W.png

Total server population is on the Y axis, and each family's portion of that total is represented by how thick their color band is.  For example, the forest-green band represents the Kelderman family, which got thin after about an hour and a half, and then made a bit of a comeback after that before finally dying out.  But what actually happened to the Keldermans?  To help us answer this, let's take a look at Wondible's amazing family tree visualizer:

https://wondible.com/ohol-family-trees/ … id=2076067

Some of their fate was player-driven, and that's fine.  In fact, that's partially the point of an arc end condition:  to put the fate of the server into the hands of the players.  But we can also see a lot of rectangles at the end of their family tree.  Rectangles are boys that cannot have babies themselves.  Thus, it's possible for a family to die out simply due to a random fluke of genetics.

While this may be true in real life too, and is somewhat interesting, over the long haul, this particular fate is likely to befall every family eventually.  When an assortment of families is what's keep the arc from ending, this kind of randomized attrition doesn't feel right, because it's completely outside the realm of player control.

So, among loads of fixes and improvements this week, I adjusted the gender distribution algorithm to force girl babies if a given family has less that three potentially fertile females left alive.  With this change in place, we'll see how long the arcs last, and what the family population graphs look like, over the next week.

You can see the full list of server-side code fixes in the change log here:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … ngeLog.txt

This week's content fixes can be viewed here:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeD … its/master

#2 2019-09-20 22:24:56

Stormyzabeast

Re: Update: End Trigger

I was in the last family to survive last night. The Apocalypse got us thank God. People were just slaughtering to slaughter. Me and one guy survived and busted ass on a pretty great Eve starter camp. Pretty cool. You HAVE to do something about griefers though dude, you just have to. They don't add interest at this point. It's just bloodbaths. People smartly just let twins and triplets die because we know they're just there to cause bs. Maybe unlimited cursing? Idk. It's almost unplayable

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#3 2019-09-20 22:43:00

Booklat1

New gender distribution should definitely make arcs last longer. I hope this isn't a permanent solution but I have little doubt it'll be an efficient one. Drift is a pain in the ass, it's definitely powerful enough to kill populations.

Hopefully one day we'll have high enough player population to allow for natural gender distribution again.

#4 2019-09-22 17:07:47

Joseph Stalin

fix griefers, just ban the ones we all agree are griefers or something... do something please its ruining your game

#5 2019-09-22 19:38:50

sigmen4020

Joseph Stalin wrote:

fix griefers, just ban the ones we all agree are griefers or something... do something please its ruining your game

Yeah, banning the widely known griefers would be a great deterrent to at least stop the griefer bragging that's happening on the forum and discord. It might also help fighting griefing in general, since they lose the attention they so desperately crave.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-09-22 22:59:17

miskas

just Curse them guys, cursing last 7 days now

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#7 2019-09-23 22:00:30

Joseph Stalin

it aint gonna be enough

#8 2019-09-25 03:06:19

fug

C1wMxD5.jpg

Tarr: 1
Jason: 0

Rift still allows items to fly over.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-09-25 08:49:24

testo

Some thing just don´t have too much game sense. Does people here care about a family more than others? Are we trying to play which family wins the Arc? Why do we care about which family survives or dies? Since we can´t choose a family anyways, are we supposed to play over the same Arc and pretend we didn´t play the last hour in the closest family? What about the limited resources, I tapped 2 mines took all the iron between 2 families should I go share some south or just get it all north in my hometown? In my next life south do I plan a raid to take back the iron?

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer