One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-22 23:04:35

Morti

I hate when I'm tired at the start of an arc.

That's all I really have to say. =/

I had some good plans, but, I ran into some speed bumps...
They really took the wind out of my sails.

I wish the last arc had lasted long enough that I could have finished the roads, but I just didn't get around to completing the southwest leg of the X.

Then this arc, I changed plans. I wanted to make a nice city, but people threw up fences in most of the corners, and that makes it hard to get back to my tools from one family to the next.

I'd make walls for every city town, but the Newcomen and diesel engine people cause too much drama at the smithies. So, it's best to just make my own forges and gather my own iron in remote corners, then I can make all the shovels and chisels I need and focus on the walls, then later engine makers can move in.

I'm tired though.

Normally I could stay awake playing this for 20 - 30 hours, but there's just too many arcs, and all that work, all this time.

It's for nothing.

I really hope things change soon. I don't want to throw everything away, every day.

I hope some of you have enjoyed using the roads and felt safe inside the big stone walled towns.

Really doesn't help that Jason has basically given up on the game. All he's done is add a bunch of automation. His contributions for the last year have been so miniscule compared to the year before. His lack of enthusiasm for this project, is really hurting. Jason't friends don't care about the game, his boys don't care about the game, no one that matters to him, cares about what he's working on, so, I don't blame him. And he doesn't care about us, the people who loved this game before the content-less arc, automated bullshit, so whats the point?

Sorry.

Time to rest.

#2 2019-09-22 23:53:22

TitaniaDioxide

Re: I hate when I'm tired at the start of an arc.

Just so you know, Morti, I really appreciate the work you've done.  I'm hoping that the arcs start getting a little longer soon, especially once Jason fixes the horse carts.

I totally get it that you're worn down.  Just know that you have one fan here who loves what you do, and I definitely want to help out with the roads once I'm experienced enough to survive while doing it.

#3 2019-09-23 00:20:47

SirCaio

I get what you are saying man, just tried a life and couldn't play more than 20 min. and quit just out of pure boredom. I haven't been interested in playing anyways, but there is just something that keeps me so hyped about this game still. I find myself scrolling through the forums and looking at the live dev changes at the Discord all the time, even though nothing REALLY has happened in quite some time.

#4 2019-09-23 09:12:12

miskas

Morti you made the best towns I have ever lived in and the road project was one of the greatest ideas.
Thank you.  Hope to see your work on the next arc after you take a rest on this one.

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#5 2019-09-23 09:17:17

Morti

TitaniaDioxide wrote:

Just so you know, Morti, I really appreciate the work you've done.  I'm hoping that the arcs start getting a little longer soon, especially once Jason fixes the horse carts.

I totally get it that you're worn down.  Just know that you have one fan here who loves what you do, and I definitely want to help out with the roads once I'm experienced enough to survive while doing it.

There's a few tricks to making big projects life-after-life, staying warm and living off the land are the most important. Coordinate mods help a huge deal, but aren't necessary if you just get to a corner and work your way out.

For the roads, it takes me 3-4 lives to get to about this point: dslLKe6.png

What this does is allows anyone traveling, with or without coordinate mods, to figure out where they are in the world as they are passing by the wells.
At the very least they can run in any diagonal direction, and see if I've (/anyone has) either started working on the road from that corner, or perhaps that leg is finished.

Let me be clear here. These roads are for people like me who want to work on big projects mostly as well; they are for people who want to find new iron deposits, new oil, to find new places to make towns they started, by the will of their own desire. But they are also used by raiders, murderers, thieves and people who don't care to be creative or productive for everyone's sake. Just because something can be used for something we don't like, doesn't mean we should necessarily avoid it. Population density is nice, trust me, I wish we could all be one big seething orgy, I did calculations once, after imagining the whole Earth as one giant organism and found https://pastebin.com/dUuCiXnB (I was going to repeat what I've been saying for years to people into conversation, that we could transform the planet into a sextillion human beings worth of biomass, but looking at the limiting factor again, I guess that joke ('sex'tillion) has been in error. The carbon, hydrogen, but especially, nitrogen, limit us to 82 quintillion people's worth of biomass... (!))

Sorry, tangent, but as I was saying, it's nice to be a sea of people, but, for people like me with decade+ old computers, that's not a very productive experience on my end. My computer struggles to deal with the game at that point, when there are more than 20 or so people in a fully loaded chunk of the map. SO for me, getting out and seeing the world, really frees me up in a lot of ways. That's also why I make the walled areas so big, I want everyone to have their space as well, and not feel penned in like sheep, but still feel protected.

It's sad that Jason added the things to the game that the more vociferous people were asking for, and in so doing, turned away most of the people over the last year and a half that I have enjoyed playing the game with. Back when city walls were made of adobe and people first started talking about having guards watching gates... oh well, we are where we are.

When it comes to making these roads, you really learn the landscape first hand. It helps to have a knife and thread, for making snakeskin fruit boots, seal coats, and to know where wolves, bows and arrows are scattered around the map, so that when your wolf hat rots away you can remake one. Warmth is really key for surviving on your own, you don't want to be consuming more food than the land can provide naturally. When I'm getting flat rocks from deserts, I pull every fruiting cactus I see. I have a mental map of all the locations of wild gooseberry bushes, and I know where all the, relatively, untouched sources of non-replenishing forageables are, though I try to avoid consuming them if I can help it.

If it comes to the point I am about to die, I go about 100 steps away from where I am last working and park my old ass behind a tree or bear cave, and then, five minutes later, I'm back in my nice warm clothes and bringing in flat rocks or carts or horsecarts of piles of stone.

That's another thing worth mentioning, the horsecarts, you get to know where the tiny little biomes are where you can park your horse so you can reliably find it when you get back. Or, if you have a shovel and are removing stumps and rocks for the road, you can use your adze to make a fence, hammer the road stakes in where you left off and tie it there. So many players just live life-after-life inside the fence they were born, people rarely get outside.

Another beauty of seeing the land is you can make huge, HUGE, fields of milkweed, right near clusters of ponds or freshly dug shallow wells, then you can tame all the horses you like. Just water 8 at a time if you don't want someone coming along and turning them into a bunch of junk boxes for their town, or a bunch of arrows, or whatever.

This is the beauty of open space, odds are good, and always have been, that if you position your farm, field or smithy anywhere outside a fence, that most people will never see it. But you can't grow attached to anything and you have to rebound if a family has moved into your forge. I mean, that's the point, ultimately. But you cannot expect new players to know enough to maintain a little one man operation.

Speaking of which, that's something I don't do often enough, make little yum stations around the map.

Look, this is the most important thing, no matter what other people say, no matter how much they cry about new players or bad players, or whatever, you just do whats right. You do what's best for everyone, yourself included, but any and everyone. This is not property, they're pixels. We are playing the absolute most basic games, with numbers, and their are no winners, and no losers. Just things, and experiences, between things. I mean, that goes for real life too, but values are nearly as immortal as matter, so long as knowledge is passed on. Just as DNA, has been passed on. "I care because you do."

You really need to have the drive to get out there life-after-life and keep working on what you love, for everyone. Every one.

So, after the guide springs have been marked, and you could really do that with just two stakes or even just laying a few flat rocks on diagonals near those roads and probably get all four legs done in two lives easily, but I make them 3, 4 or sometimes a dozen tiles wide for starters, just so people are more likely to catch sight of them if they happen to be passing between them
(-Follow the fault lines if you're going east-to-west.
-Start from a spring or well if you are going north-to-south.
-Springs are 40 steps apart.
-Springs don't show up on tundra, desert or jungle biome tiles.)

Really, making the roads and/or walls deserve their own separate guides, but I suck at making guides, obviously I'm disordered already with this one.

Look, here's a picture I've been wanting to make for some time, this is how I collect flat rocks for the roads.
4e1aiur.png
This is why the ends and the centers (red and purple) are often the last to get built. So for those parts you really have to creep out farther to gather flat rock.

Obviously the roads don't use them all, and the flat rocks respawn after awhile, I'm not exactly sure on the mechanics, but it's something like a few hours of no one being in that chunk of the map. You really have to try and balance things out so you aren't stuck at any section having to travel halfway across the map, for instance, to get flat rocks from one zone, let's say green's far end, to purple or reds.

Even right now, typing this up, there are people taking the flat rocks and using them for roads around berry bushes and to go twenty steps to the nearest oil. >_<

I am almost 100% positive that there are enough flat rocks at the start of the arc, to make 8 legs of roads.
0VUabVJ.png
But doing that would leave next to none to be used for smithy-to-oil roads, for gravestones, or for "art" projects.

And I don't take from smithies and rarely will I take from graves. If someone has put a flat rock to use, that's it, it's basically off limits. Unless the graveyard is in a really poor location and is just blocking the flow of traffic around very busy areas, so, let that be a reminder to those of you who want to mark your loved one's final resting place. Don't do it five steps from the smithy or berry patch, if you really care about them being remembered. Take the time to start your graveyards a dozen or so steps away from high traffic areas.

There really aren't enough town planning threads on this forum, but for me, that was over a year ago. Now I'm just focused on the view from above and how things flow across the entirety of the map, as limited as it has become. Dealing with the dead is yet another reason why fences are such a pain in the ass. And maintaining fences is why if you care about your town, you should be putting those big hard rocks 2 to 3 springs away from the center, towards walls, and not going around maintaining futile, rickety, fences.

If you want to make stone walls, that, after ten hours of standing are indestructable, the same idea as for the roads apply when it comes to gathering from areas, but you rarely have to go farther than 2 40x40 sections out from the wall, to meet the demand.

A scenario like this
6kaZAl1.png
with lots of towns with walls of various sizes, certainly is possible. Just keep in mind every one of those intersections is the location of a spring.

Now, an end game scenario like that, with a dozen or so stone walled towns, isn't going to be possible without engines, and engines aren't possible without a massive injection of initial iron, but even using surface iron, walls around 4 springs in each of the corners, is easily doable. Once you get the walls in place, then you can bury your loved burning mined iron all you like, or burn iron trying to break down new walls, whatever.

We're just flippin bits after all.

#6 2019-09-24 00:42:01

kubassa
Banned

Morti wrote:

Normally I could stay awake playing this for 20 - 30 hours, but there's just too many arcs, and all that work, all this time.
Time to rest.

You really need to find something more productive to do in life. Playing games all day is not a healthy lifestyle. Please go outside and enjoy the earth, maybe get a job and throw your PC in the garbage. Please become a contributing member of society.

TY.

I got huge ballz.

#7 2019-09-24 00:55:32

Carrot-Seedling

Kubassa, were you around when Morti went quiet? Morti said he was very sick, a while ago, and then he just stopped posting. People were worried. If you were stuck in bed all day, what else is there to do?

Morti, your hard work doing this day after day is awesome. Thank you.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#8 2019-09-24 02:14:06

Morti

I'm not stuck in a bed. Whatever gave you that impression?
I sleep in this chair too often, when I do sleep, but I'm not that sick.

I took some time off to work on some of the land around a piece of family property.
After the Murder 9K1 fiasco.

Guess what I did?

I made roads around it. >_<

Here's the start of the new road off the one I have been widening and maintaining for the last ten years or so.
I'm facing north northwest (NNW), but the old path faces north, and the new one goes west.
hUga5zr.jpg

Facing west.
1g8nUfc.jpg

Here's the current end of the road, facing east, about a city block's length away from the start.
pnhovYT.jpg

Here's the camp that I stayed in.
rEtnZsG.jpg

Like my guy lines? I joke that spider man set up the big tent.
pfg0Vut.jpg

Doesn't surprise me a two inch wide wolf spider quickly moved in over my door.
I think it was planning to molt, but I caught it in a pickle bolony jar, put a green fly in their with it, and when it finally caught the fly, it wound up dying.
I was quite saddened. I'd planned to release it farther away from the camp, but I was just so busy out there, I forgot about it.
I didn't get any pictures of it while it was alive, but it looked like this.
lRHijsS.jpg

I was quite saddened by it's death, I should have released it immediately.

Maybe it's you who needs to get outside more kubassa?
Talkin like that to people over the internet? Hows that make you, or anyone else, any better?

What kind of society would we be, if we pushed people away?

And what is better anyway? Do we want people to feel more productive? Productive of what?

Carrot-Seedling, I appreciate the concern. I'm not going to say too much about what is wrong with me inside, it sucks but, rather than fight myself, I'm going to accept what is happening inside my body, and see where this lifestyle takes me. Just because I don't make it to 60 or 90, doesn't mean there isn't something to learn; some value in being the way I am. You should all know that you are valued, no matter what you do.

We're learning, forever. We need to make mistakes, so we can make more in the future.

Love the all of you.

#9 2019-09-24 03:01:27

Morti

All of you. For now.
discovr_oct19_2015.gif
DSCOVR, catches the side of the Earth brought alive by the Sun, from L1.

"If you aren't helping to make rockets, what are you doing with your life?"
We're all helping, but some more than others.
To them, I, personally, give a little more thanks.
Not for me, but for all the people, who will be born forever, everywhere else in the universe.

Board footer