One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-23 00:31:45

Dantox

what is the current vision of the game?

This year the game has seen some pretty big game-changing mechanics and i was curious what is the path that jason is currently aiming towards once that he is done dealing with the QOL fixes and making the arcs to last a little bit more.

make bread, no war

#2 2019-09-23 05:33:05

Dodge

Re: what is the current vision of the game?

Basically focusing on game mechanics and gameplay over making content that doesn't add much more to the game.

Solving issues like:

Going from Eve to diesel takes less than a day, how to change that

Nobody trades or has a need for private property, why?

There is no meaningful interactions or real in the moment cooperation between players

Etc..

Dont get me wrong new content is nice but adding 10'000 objects isn't going to make the game more interesting on a deeper level.

Let's say he adds 10 new foods in the next update, sure you're going to be entertained some time making them but then the novelty wears off and they dont bring much more than the other foods in the game.

#3 2019-09-23 07:13:27

CatX

I'm not sure what path Jason is on, but as for the current game mechanics, this is my impression of why various elements were introduced:

- The Rift is a solution to people being too far apart.
- The apocalypse is a way to reset the world when it becomes boring.
- Killing was originally to be a way for players to deal with griefers themselves, and to create more interesting stories.
- The curse system and Donkey town are ways for people to deal with griefers.
- The war swords are a solution to people not feeling like their family matters more than strangers.
- The property fences had several functions: As a defense against warriors, and as a means to encourage trade. I believe they were also meant to make people spend more time with their closest family.

And it seems to me that the current plan is to refine these elements until they function together in such a way that most people find most lives to be interesting in some way.

Personally, I wish he would have dropped the Rift and gone for an open world with simpler road building including a way to produce flat rocks as well as nerfed war swords/peace mechanic instead.

#4 2019-09-23 10:03:30

MultiLife

CatX wrote:

I'm not sure what path Jason is on, but as for the current game mechanics, this is my impression of why various elements were introduced:

- The Rift is a solution to people being too far apart.
- The apocalypse is a way to reset the world when it becomes boring.
- Killing was originally to be a way for players to deal with griefers themselves, and to create more interesting stories.
- The curse system and Donkey town are ways for people to deal with griefers.
- The war swords are a solution to people not feeling like their family matters more than strangers.
- The property fences had several functions: As a defense against warriors, and as a means to encourage trade. I believe they were also meant to make people spend more time with their closest family.

And it seems to me that the current plan is to refine these elements until they function together in such a way that most people find most lives to be interesting in some way.

Personally, I wish he would have dropped the Rift and gone for an open world with simpler road building including a way to produce flat rocks as well as nerfed war swords/peace mechanic instead.

And genetics were added to make your close family’s survival beneficial for you gameplay wise, basically (imo) better way to make your family matter than war swords.

This is a good list of Jason’s implementations and what he meant to achieve with them. Also resources running out seemed to be in his vision too, so at some point you play in like a dystopian future of doom and gloom.

I also wish the Rift got scrapped, or limited to some server. I tried playing two lives over the weekend and it was basically being trapped inside the Rift and inside a property fence which owner was running in the wilderness, never to be seen. Listening to some people chant about war and how they lived in the other family and now want to quickstart a new Arc by killing off the other family. Had to kill an annoying griefer too. Otherwise had fun saving the family from famine and being useful.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-09-23 15:23:39)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer