One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-21 09:56:24

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Small ideas on how to solve Eve/murder griefing

I don't have 16 years game dev experience but I've played the game for 900 hours.

Make it so Eve's cannot enter the murder state. The "growling" mouth state. Thou shall not kill. Yeah there are down sides to this, but it will end the killing Eve's running around. Yes they could just as well be born to someone and do the same thing, but that takes a lot more time than just /dieing until they are born old enough to hold a bow. This would also encourage Eves to keep their children so they can defend them.

Make murder hungry work, or give you the yellow fever debuff. This means you would have to have some support before killing someone and if you just killed randomly you'll die without people around to feed you.

I don't know these are just some ideas. Maybe you guys can help improve them in the comments. I'm just sick of being killed by Eve Kill.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-09-21 10:16:10

Twisted

Re: Small ideas on how to solve Eve/murder griefing

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Make it so Eve's cannot enter the murder state. The "growling" mouth state. Thou shall not kill.

I agree with this, honestly it makes so much sense. An Eve should start a new family, she should never have the need to kill anyone.

#3 2019-09-21 10:37:28

Grim_Arbiter

Hell even just add the bow rope needing to be cooked in a bowl over a fire.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-09-21 10:51:07

Whatever

I like the idea that when you kill someone you will also die unless someone feeds you.

So it could be maybe so that attacking someone is hungry work but also removes your yum bonus (but doesnt break your chain)

Multiple griefers could still kill and not die by feeding each other, but they would be slowed down because they cant kill at the same time.

#5 2019-09-21 10:55:14

Whatever

Twisted wrote:

An Eve should start a new family, she should never have the need to kill anyone.

What if you are an Eve and your first kid is a griefer, he/she kills all her siblings before they can grow up and defend themselves and you can only watch.
But i like the idea that Eves cant kill, i think most of the time the Eve should be fine, and griefing Eves are a much bigger problem.

#6 2019-09-21 11:08:03

Thaulos

While I think griefers are pretty annoying, I don't want to have my ability to respond violence with violence restricted when I'm an Eve.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-21 11:58:48)

#7 2019-09-21 13:13:34

Twisted

Whatever wrote:
Twisted wrote:

An Eve should start a new family, she should never have the need to kill anyone.

What if you are an Eve and your first kid is a griefer, he/she kills all her siblings before they can grow up and defend themselves and you can only watch.
But i like the idea that Eves cant kill, i think most of the time the Eve should be fine, and griefing Eves are a much bigger problem.

Honestly I think if that happens your town is already dead, even if you manage to stop the griefer kid. You have to invest your resources into crafting a second weapon (assuming the kid uses the first bow and arrow) and you also lose at least two kids minimum (the victim and the griefer). It's hard to come back from that.

#8 2019-09-21 13:34:40

fug

It's a multistage problem which requires multiple steps to fix.

Twins+ cursing: Generally speaking the people who are doing this are twinning so even if you curse your attacker you're just splitting curses between two people anyways. BHS (brokeheart syndrome) should be added (if one dies both dies) and all members of the group should receive a curse if either are cursed.

Lowering kill command input from 7 tiles to 4. This makes it so someone generally has to actually be on your screen (if zoomed in) to attack you. Just yesterday I ran into the issue of someone not being properly loaded attacking me because they were so far off my screen. This would remove this issue from ever coming back up AND bring the kill command into line with with the default FoV is.

Adding a requirement to the bow: Either add some sort of requirement like 10 minutes before a bow can be completed or maybe cook the rope. This would at least make it so Eves have to invest in a camp or invest time before starting a killing spree. At the very worst this would give you a little relief between attacks.

The difficulty of early game should be from seeing if you and your kids can start a stable camp before resources run out, not from how many times can you fight off the same guy with a bow repeatedly respawning and coming back.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#9 2019-09-21 21:50:37

Saolin

Another solution similar to hungry work could be increasing the kill cooldown.  I think it's 40s right now, if it was 60s it would provide some of the effect of being hungry work, and have the added benefit of increased time for a trial.

#10 2019-09-21 22:01:37

fug

Saolin wrote:

Another solution similar to hungry work could be increasing the kill cooldown.  I think it's 40s right now, if it was 60s it would provide some of the effect of being hungry work, and have the added benefit of increased time for a trial.

Murder cooldown is 60 seconds and has been for a long time. Injury stagger was actually just improved to be the same as the murder weapon cooldown.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#11 2019-09-21 23:47:17

NiGB0

We need eve tokens. You must wait two hours two win one, and four hours to have 2/2 tokens.

Eve Gomez

#12 2019-09-22 00:25:57

Thaulos

How about you needing metal tip arrows to be able to kill people and bears?

#13 2019-09-22 01:17:11

Saolin

fug wrote:
Saolin wrote:

Murder cooldown is 60 seconds and has been for a long time. Injury stagger was actually just improved to be the same as the murder weapon cooldown.

Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

Board footer