One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-14 06:53:37

Thaulos

[Story] Jim Terranova, the Gu siblings and the she-devil!

I was born as a little boy to in a town full of Hazelwoods. Me and my mother  Maya Terranova were part of the town like any other of their lineage which was great. I helped a bit with forging and then with compost and carrots.

On discord, NGB was calling for help to save Terranova family, so I decided to go look for the Terranova town. I took my own stuff which had belonged to my mother and off I went. North of town I found the gu town, and searched for many years for the Terranova town. Along the way I found a horse which helped me a lot to cover a lot of area but was never able to find the fabled town.

Along the way I find a small closed camp, with a young girl, named Alice Gu stuck inside, banging at the gate she couldn't open with a sad face. I go to one of the sides and see it still was a shaky fence, so I use my knife to break it up for her. I couldn't understand her but she seemed very happy, I gave her backpack, pants and wolf hat I found together with the horse. And said goodbye and good luck.

She however started following me looking sad. I was looking for my own family and tried to explain it to her, but she was adamant in following me. I ignored her for a couple minutes but she was very persistent so I gave in and tried to bring her to the Gu town I found earlier. I brought her back to the small compound and left her there. I noticed who I assumed was her mother moving around but didn't think much of it. Went south to confirm the exact location of the Gu town leaving Alice behind, she tried to follow me but I would be right back, it would be fine.

I confirm the town location, not that far, straight south. I go back and don't find her, only her mother next to the gate with a bow and arrow. mental alarms start ringing. And an increasingly terrible premonition creeps in. No! No way. Where the heck is Alice!?

I look around the compound in ever increasing circles, dreading what I might find, hoping I'm wrong. Until I see it. A bloody grave, named Alice Gu, died 2 years ago. Oh no Alice. I'm so sorry you died alone. Why!? My blood is boiling! Her own daughter! That BITCH!! I only have a knife and the she-devil has a bow and is ready for me so I'm at a big disadvantage but I'll definitely try to give her a piece of my mind. Alice didn't deserve that. But you will!

We face off, me using the horse to keep myself at range and waiting for her to need food to drop down the bow. Picking the time to engage is my only possible advantage. We go back and forth a good 3 to 5 minutes. Finally I go for it, she responds and... we both miss! Both weapons on the floor. I curse myself and I go for the knife as fast as I can, but to my surprise her reaction is to grab the horse. I quickly stash the knife and grab the bow and arrow and try to get her from range, she sees it and starts to flee, I managed to get a lock but it was too far to be able to let the arrow go. She flees south riding the horse she just took from me and I follow. She tries to direct me me into nearby wolves but I'm not having any of that, I keep my lock, safe distance from the wolves and keep chase.

2/3 on the way to Gu town the unexpected happens. A child comes out of the she-devil. The baby boy looks confused at first, unsure on what to do, hesitating, but soon starts running away from me, either trying to get his mother to save him or to flee from the no relation man armed with the bow making killing noises. Probably both.

I can't leave this child to die. Not like Alice. I quickly ask the child to come to me and to my relief he does, having no other choice he put all his faith on me. I drop the bow and arrow, praying the she-devil won't come back and use them to finish both of us. I hurriedly grab the child into the nearest berry bush and feed him a berry.

I try to explain the situation to him the best I can, not sure how much he understood due to the language barrier but he was sad when I told him about his sister's fate. I name him James Gu. I'm getting increasingly old and worry I won't make it back to Gu town with a child in tow. I stock up on the few berries I can find, grab him and go for it. He eventually manages to grab food and starts following me. We go around the fence and enter the town. A young girl comes to see what is going on and the boy must have explained to her as she was quite friendly from there on. I direct the boy to the berry bushes and wish him good luck and to prosper. I give him everything I own but my knife. "I'm off to kill your mom, goodbye and good luck".

Hoping he will live long and happily, and sensing my impending death I go forth, in my suicidal revenge quest, the Terranova town long forgotten, to kill the she-devil. Only to see Joy Gu, Alice's mother, aka the she-devil, arrive by horse, and chilling next to the bushes I had just left the boy on. You think you can cause so much pain and get away with it? THE HELL YOU CAN!

I promptly turn around and stab her in front of everyone. Curses be damned! You coming down with me! The boy and the girl quickly spoke in my defense as far as I understood as I wasn't stabbed in retaliation, but as I was declaring mission accomplished the she-devil was healed!! I went and stabbed her again. This time a Gu member stabbed me in retaliation but I was fine with it. I cursed the she-devil and watch in anticipation, my undecipherable pleads to not heal her falling in deaf ears. As expected they went to try to heal her again but the young girl managed to snatch the bowl of pads so to not let anyone heal the she-devil again. Way to go young girl! The she-devil was in despair trying to convince them to save her, but obviously failing, doomed to die. And I was very happy with that. I finally got you! And this time for good!

My son started healing me but I was about to die of old age anyway so I tried to not let him waste pads on an old man, he managed to heal me but I starved the next second.

I never got to see the aftermath of my actions but I hope everyone was better off from them.

Good luck James Gu, live your life well, for both you and your sister.

Jim Terranova
Alice Gu, the girl
Joy Gu, the she-devil
James Gu, the boy

PS: When proofreading I realized I wrote "my son" when mentioning the boy at the end. I guess in my heart he was already mine.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-09-14 09:07:03)

#2 2019-09-14 07:07:18

NiGB0

Re: [Story] Jim Terranova, the Gu siblings and the she-devil!

Beautiful history, you never came to Terranova town.

Eve Gomez

#3 2019-09-14 07:22:52

DestinyCall

I think I might have been the one that healed Joy the first time.   Sorry about that.

I was working on a project on the other side of town, so I missed the initial drama and only got involved because someone was dying nearby.   She claimed to be the victim of a random attack, of course.    I recall seeing an extremely old man with a bloody knife, which I assume must have been you.   I don't know who stabbed you.  I went back to working on my yum shrine after healing the woman.       

I was Persephone Gu, so Alice and Joy were distant cousins.   

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5277410

Thinking back, I recall a woman riding in on a horse and claiming that she was being hunted by someone outside of town.  That was probably Joy also.   She said she was going back out again and I remember telling her to be careful.  Then a short while later, I heard the murder yelp.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-09-14 07:25:01)

#4 2019-09-14 13:14:43

Justduh

Ay I was James!

So first thing I did after...all that was bury you in a marked grave. I loved you more than anyone else that life because if you hadn't saved me I would have died before the first minute.

Anyway after that I started looking around for some sort of purpose, and after watering some berry bushes I saw a plate of french fries next to some tomatoes and thought "Y'know what? I'm gonna try to make some ketchup". I had no idea how to make ketchup by the way.

I meditated for enlightenment from lord Jason (alt-tabbed out and looked it up) and found out it takes quite a lot to make ketchup, so I tried not to for a while but I couldn't find anything else to do and there was always those fries sitting there urging me to make the ketchup.

So I decide to try to make it. I grabbed some sugarcane, beat it up, drowned it, boiled it, boiled it again, and then bam, sugar. I meditate again and find out I need to let it sit there for five minutes for it to become vinegar, so I make another one and wait, constantly checking it. After a while I started to get a little confused, I meditated once more and asked Jason for answers and I have a revelation!

It was cane juice that was supposed to sit there! But before I even get started on making that, an old man shows up and tells me there is no oil, and that he searched for a tarry spot but couldn't find any, and lastly told me there was a town nearby directly south that had a lot of oil. I told him I would check it out, after a short walk I was at the gate of the Hazelwoods.

Someone just so happened to be going through when I showed up so I got in. I was nervous and sweating because I hadn't played this game in a couple of months and had never been in a town full of people who speak a different language and would probably stab me the second I touch anything. I walked in and tried to say hello, and as soon as I say that several people all gather around me. someone says "Hello?" and I reply with "Hello", so yay that's one word figured out. After that this one guy comes up to me, and I have no idea what he was saying but it ended in a question mark, so I just say yes to whatever he said and hoped for the best.

Eventually we figured out the word yes and just started saying yes and hello over and over, and then I pick up a nearby tank of kerosene and say "oil". They eventually figure out that word and I start saying "Oil yes?" repeatedly trying to get them to understand that I was here for the oil. After a while of them not figuring it out I decided to do something that would probably get me killed but I was gonna do it anyway. I got a nearby cart, filled it up with three tanks of kerosene and headed for the exit.

Nobody was at the gate except one lady on a horse. I say "Open" and she says a full sentence that I can understand! She was a cousin of mine! I was happy to see another Gu, and tell her that I'm sort of stuck in here. She looks at my cart and asks "Are you...stealing their oil?...", before I could reply someone came by and opened the gate and I bolted it for my hometown.

When I got back I told everyone that I just stole a bunch of oil and jokingly asked if I was cool yet, and they said yes. I was about to go back to wasting my life trying to make ketchup but then I hear someone get stabbed. I run over there and see like two more stabbings by one person for what seemed to be no reason. People were asking her why she did it and she didn't respond so I decide to kill her.

She tells everyone I was a greifer, I tell everyone why I killed her but they don't listen and try to stab me. Luckily I found a horse, got on, and got out of that town and headed to the Hazelwood town. When I got there there was nobody at the gate, I waited and waited but nobody opened it or talked to me or even saw me. I was getting old by now, and after a while I decide to head back to my hometown, hoping they had forgotten me, or wold think I was too old for them to be bothered to kill me, or something, and I would be able to say my goodbyes or at least be around people I knew.

I got back to town on my horse, and nobody seems to be trying to kill me, so I get off my horse and as soon of my foot hits the ground everyone yells things like "There he is!" "That's the one!". I ran back to my horse but some girl got on before I did and rode away, I bolt it for the exit, and make it. I escaped and this time I was never going back there, and it was here, as I was running out of the town, where I said what would be my last words, "My god this family is not gonna last much longer".  I was very old at this point, so I do the only thing I could and head back to Hazelwood once more.

Again, nobody was at the gate. I waited by the gate and hoped somebody would open it, but nobody did. I died of old age right outside of the town.

Thank you, Jim. Thank you so much for saving me when I was born. If it weren't for you, none of this would have happened. Thank you.

#5 2019-09-14 15:56:54

DestinyCall

Haahaa ... I remember you too, James.   You were "ketchup boy".     The kid I saw making a knife at the forge who announced "I'm making ketchup".   

I remember thinking "oh boy ... better keep an eye on that one.".    The village already had a lot of knives, so making another one specifically to work on a rare yum food seemed like highly suspect behavior.  I figured there was a 50/50 chance you were planning to kill someone and just wanted to buy time until you had a weapon.  But I tend to take a hands-off "wait until someone gets stabbed" approach when it comes to possible griefers.  No point stabbing people for making poor culinary choices.   It just creates unnecessary drama.    So I left you to your work.    And it did sort of look like you were trying to make ketchup for a while, so I figured it was just a false alarm.   

For the record, I had a knife and would have been happy to slice up tomatoes or whatever to help you make the ketchup if you'd asked.  Using a piece of iron to make another knife wasn't really necessary or wise.   Too many knives in the same village tend to increase the odds of one falling into the wrong hands and starting a murder chain, in my opinion.   Three or four is fine and a single knife is not enough.  But five or six knives ... that starts to get into sketchy territory, since you can easily find yourself with more knives than backpacks or a bunch of old people keeling over at the same time without anyone trustworthy to hold their knives.   I tend to wait until I naturally inherit an existing knife or ask someone with a knife to do knife-related jobs, if I can't wait for them to die.    Any reasonable knife-owner should be happy to help with useful knife tasks, like slaughtering sheep, slicking bread/turkey, or cutting rubber trees.

Again, I missed the later drama where people were trying to kill you.   It probably happened after I was dead, since you were a generation or two younger than me.   I did finish cooking the french fries before I died, so they would be ready for the ketchup, if you managed to complete your quest.   The ones that inspired you were still raw, started by someone else who abandoned the project without finishing it.   I added the french fries to the yum shrine I built at the southern part of the town. 

I was just back in the same town and the Gu family is no longer in residence.  It is currently occupied by an uneasy combination of Hazelwood and Liz family.   The two families are technically in a state of war, but they are co-existing in relative peace in this town, trying to get to a point where peace can be officially declared.  Sadly there was no elder Liz available prior to my old age death.   There were a lot of deaths around the time of my birth, but things were fairly calm for the rest of my life.   I spent most of my life rebuilding and repairing the property fence and town gates, so that we could hopefully survive a little longer.   

Unfortunately, it looks like my yum shrine was not maintained.   All the yum foods were consumed, but not replenished.   All that remains is the sadly languishing mango tree and the shrine pillars.  I'm pretty sure the arc will end before the tree has the chance to produce a new crop of mangoes, but I could be wrong.

#6 2019-09-14 21:33:14

Keyin

Oh, I was mother of the she-devil! I wasn't even aware she was a killer... I must have been preoccupied by something else, as I died only one year before her.

Board footer