One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-11 00:16:19

Morti

Arc #?, The Monument, Thanks to Jamesen Firestone & THE WALL

What are we on now? I've lost track. 5? 10? Does it matter? Is anyone keeping track?

Anyway, I figure it might be helpful if posts reference the Arc's number, or, some other distinction they might have, so that someone may find it easier to piece together history in the future.

Well, this is the monument for this Arc, if you can see it.

5yI5GzA.jpg

Fairly zoomed out at in this picture. Kinda sad, now that I think of it, I recall for months being against using mods, and, here I am now, casually sharing pictures 2/3 of which are Jason's unknown scribbles.

I also have another picture to share with you this post, that of a hero of the road, Mr. Jamesen Firestone, RIP good sir, for all your service on the road of the southeast quadrant. Fine work, you did.

sQayRzy.jpg

As for myself, I think I'm going to take things a little easier this arc. Actually got some real night sleep and my caffeine and adrenaline levels are down, and I think I'd like to keep them down for awhile. It's strange what 8 hours of sleep can do to a person, I don't know how you monkeys deal with it every 24 hours. Feels so... internally, heavy, boring, but solid, none-the-less. I could see finding peace in a restful life, but do I really want that.

I was awake and playing for the entire last arc. I threw down a few road sections in every quad but for most of my life I was working on a new idea, that I have to admit, I'm a little reluctant to share. But, being the good, forthcoming, nice, transparent and honest, person I am, I'll do so anyhow. Some of you spotted me working on it and many (like 2) of you even asked if it was me by name. You assumed I was working on a giant wall for a town, but that wasn't my plan.

My plan was to divide the map in half, either entirely, or with an area of undecided size in the center for people to peacefully meet. But, while I'm being honest, and let's be honest, shall we? it probably would have been a warzone near, the monument. But just because I'm being honest in assuming that, doesn't mean I don't think there is... hope* for you yet.

There are enough of you who still want to make things last longer than they ever have; be they families, towns or the arc itself, that I think we can do this if we work together, and by together, I mean, safely apart.

Let me get some pics up, you'll see what I mean.

Here is as far as I managed to get with The Wall

gNXXnIj.png

Here is what I had planned for most of that time.

XcxPbYK.png

With, or without, an open center for "negotiations".

ctYSFaX.png
(Far too much cut stone to reasonably haul to the center.)

Maybe something more like this.

6K4Kp9C.png

The plan was that I was going to push the walls closer and closer to the center, leaving only the stone floor at the base of the monument as a gap, and then allow the families on either side to put their own fences with gates near that gap, however they saw fit. But, I was responsible for two of the biggest mistakes with that plan.

1. I'd started a small camp in the south east at the beginning of the arc, which, without any intervention of my own, grew to fence town.

2. I myself expanded the fence of the town southwest of the center, towards the wall, after being born inside of it and finding the fenced in area too cramped. That was before I even started the wall and was just working on the roads. It lead to people who were inside and around the town, seeing the wall too early, and, since they saw a member of the Black family working on the wall, assumed it was some plot against their own family, and began mass producing picks to put holes in it, which they then filled with rows of soil to keep the wall from being rebuilt. I was reborn to the family near the center next life and tried to persuade them that the wall did not pose them any threat, but it was too late, their minds were made up, so I instead implored them to add gates where they had made holes, but it was shortly after that (in that life) that the Black family died out after succumbing to inner turmoil; no swords needed.

What else can I say?

You couldn't keep yourselves alive even if I completely separated you from any other threats.

So I am once again, trying to reason with you, as I have been for a year and a half, to stop treating each other so poorly.

I know it's easy, and brings you satisfaction, to insult people.
I know it's easy, and brings you satisfaction, to cause damage, to the works of those who have insulted you.

But I ask that you take the hard route, and be considerate; of the other person, before you speak or draw a weapon; of everyone else, that has and must continue, to exist, and work, so that players like yourself, can find yourself in a functioning home; but most of all, I ask, that you be considerate of your future self, who can look back on this moment in time and not regret, but be proud, of the change inside, that they experienced, when they stopped giving in, and you, started looking out.

At first you may not notice a difference. It won't feel right, to say you're sorry, or to be nice, but then, someone will do something nice for you, and you'll realize why it matters so much. And you'll notice people doing it more and more, until it dawns on you, that people have been doing this all along, and you'll feel, why it's so important. You might even become addicted to it. You were probably addicted to it before, but then another addiction, set you back.

It's hard to be good, not just not hateful, but actually, good. Most of the time there isn't an immediate payoff. You don't get a rush of adrenaline, or a wash of dopamine afterwards, instead what you get is a slow drip of oxytocin, that never stops. It's always there and it makes you care about things, you've probably never thought of caring about before. It's strange. Enough of it and there isn't anything you don't care for. Couple that feeling with a knowledge of the universe, and you get people like Carl Sagan, Richard Feynman or just about anyone you'll ever meet in the field of astronomy. But that's not to say anyone else can't feel it. I'm sure religious people feel it to some extent, though their end results vary, for lack of evidence for the existence of what their belief systems claim. But the existence of religion itself suggests that people have been feeling this good about things, for a long, long time. So good, they just had to make up reasons for feeling it.

The important thing though, is that you feel it.

I thought when I came to this game, that surely everyone, everyone who was convinced that this is the game for them, had that same feeling.
I'm willing to bet all of you do. Even you young men, at the point in your life where you feel as if you could rule the world, if only you played your cards right, from this point forward. It's a lot of work though. The way things are, it takes about 3 to 5 generations of planning and grooming to produce offspring capable of being the wealthiest, most influential or most powerful people on Earth, and if your parents aren't grooming you or your family for that role, chances are you and your kids, have absolutely no shot at it. No matter what "Dream" you buy into. So unless you want your great, great, grandchildren, and everyone in between, setting themselves up for that, what do you do?

Play One Hour One Life. Where you can be reborn, several times along that chain, to see, your great, great plans, come to fruition.

Then you get what you wanted, and it's all taken away.

There is a lesson in this, iteration, of the game, but there are still greater lessons, that the game has yet to effectively teach us. I'm sure Jason still has some things up his sleeve, at least, I hope* he hasn't hit the wall, just, yet. For our sake, I'm guessing he's recharging with his family, if not, working on another game altogether. Which, given how much he likes to brag about the number of "games" he's made, wouldn't surprise me. Yet he says he wants One Life, to be his greatest game, THE, greatest game. But what is he doing? Playing other games, with his kids, and losing sight, of all the things, he claimed he'd make this one.

Never let your roots dry, Jason. There still people playing this, and there can be millions more, if you just keep watering the soil, this tree can still grow. You have certainly planted it in a place with that potential, you just need, to keep, feeding it.

After playing Gravitation, I know how much you need your sons to be happy and productive. And yes, it is happiness, and yes, you do care. And I suspect your kids have given in to the current game market, and you have followed them, trying to make this game, something for them, if not to enjoy, then to remember. But please, save some of that love for the rest of us, who came here because this is NOT Fortnight, Overwatch or League of Legends. We came here, to be a family.

That shouldn't be the end, only the beginning.

*I despise that word as it suggests that people either have it, or, they are hopeless, which is just a terrible dichotomy for someone who strives to see things as they are, for what they are. Hope is a trap of a word, hijacked by dishonest, misguided and misleading people. It's used to soothe naive minds just when they begin to display a hint of skepticism or develop any sort of critique, on the way things appear to be working. You shouldn't fall for anything anyone that tells you to have hope, says, unless they're an honest asshole. Develop good judgement and execution skills for yourself; don't leave the future to hope. Not even New Hope, that'll just leave a bad taste in your mouth. Then they'll try to sell you Classic Hope with the original bullshit recipe. Never ends with those folks, trust me. wink

#2 2019-09-11 02:57:13

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Arc #?, The Monument, Thanks to Jamesen Firestone & THE WALL

I thought it was you building that wall at first lol, but then convinced myself it couldn't have been. You had one person helping you a couple lives right? Coulda sworn I saw two people working together.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2019-09-11 04:40:36

Morti

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I thought it was you building that wall at first lol, but then convinced myself it couldn't have been. You had one person helping you a couple lives right? Coulda sworn I saw two people working together.

Probably just chattin with another person passing by. Someone helped me find my horse from one life to the next, but that was it. I think it was actually a different horse though, I parked mine in the jungle, and that one was running around in a grassland or prairie. Eventually I just made a few fence posts between the small camp NW of the start of the wall, along the rift.
https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-13&y=-2 … 1568062891

Whoever made this camp https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-41&y=-2 … 1568062891 it was really useful for feeding sheep for saddles and making the shovels and chisels. Thank you.

I had a nice milkweed farm as well down here https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-9&y=-27 … 1568062891 just didn't water the seeds and they were always there ready for more lassos. Lazy people will gladly steal milkweed, but water the seeds and come back 5 minutes later? They won't even bother.

#4 2019-09-13 16:38:44

Don Holm

That's really impressive, and it's a work of one person, I wander if you wanted some partners on those projects smile

Board footer