One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-01 08:27:10

BladeWoods

Server reset?

The server just restarted. The apocalypse didn't happen but all families were wiped and new eves spawned into the almost day old rift-box into the old towns.

#2 2019-09-01 08:34:58

Averest

Re: Server reset?

Yeah it was really weird. Maybe Apoc got disabled so the Pax people can see developed towns?

#3 2019-09-01 14:29:50

BlueDiamondAvatar

Huh, that would explain why the "length of time for the server arc" listed on the home page is currently 1780+ years, while there are still new eves spawning.  (I have this weird need to check on the age of the arc before I start playing.)

Judging by the change log on the discord server, Jason did a lot of tweaking of the arc end conditions before he left for PAX.  Something is probably broken.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-09-02 19:40:36

BlueDiamondAvatar

Just bumping this up, since we only have two long-lived families, and it's pretty clear the world hasn't wiped in several days, even though we are currently having another "eve window".  It's nice having things I recognize building from a few days ago.... but there's also very little variety in playing either a Reed or a German.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-09-02 21:48:38

DestinyCall

Did we actually reach the failure condition at some point or did the Eve window open for some other reason?

#6 2019-09-02 23:50:09

The_Anabaptist

Just played as an 82nd gen German.  Found plenty to do in that town.  There were internal roads that needed building. Pies that weren't getting made.  Mangoes in desperate need of a knife, which I happened to find outside of town.  I tried expanding the property fence line on the NE corner when I got old.  Hopefully that will help future generations expand.  Lots of untapped resources just outside of city limits.  It was a good life.

The_Anabaptist

#7 2019-09-03 00:32:58

DestinyCall

I don't really think that the arc needs to be as short as it has been to be entertaining.   The eight day arc was horrible, but a lot of that was due to intentional sabatoge, not because older towns aren't any fun or lack things to do.     However, I do think that some things need to be more renewable or become more efficient with technological advancement.   Rope/thread production comes immediately to mind.  And there are various other less critical resources that could use some tweaking.

With effort, we can keep certain things going, by gathering and cultivating them ourselves.   But other things start to get really hard to find.   Something simple, like a sapling, shouldn't be that hard.   But you by the time it starts to be worthwhile to grow your own saplings, there are almost none left on the whole map.   I can't even blame this on intentional griefing.  It is just way easier to gather wild saplings instead of growing them.   And the grown saplings aren't even as good as wild saplings, because they are "weak skewers".   Eventually there are no normal skewers left to find.   I think grown saplings need a buff so that people have more incentive to start sapling farms earlier in the arc.   

Hunting for the last sapling on the map when all you want to do is place a new home marker is just super annoying.

Board footer