One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-02 06:45:02

Chestburster

This game needs to really improve its anti-grief mechanics

Griefers are running completely rampant at this point and it's ruining the game. It's like half of the players I come across are griefers, and the methods to counteract this are no longer sufficient and aren't working as intended mainly due to two things I see.

1. The 1 hour limit on cursing

One curse per hour is not nearly enough, 5 curses per hour probably won't be enough. If you let me choose once per hour which player I don't want to be around I'm still going to be surrounded by griefers.

2. The way curses are applied in general

There are loads of times I want to curse someone but I am unable to. This is due to the fact that many times you need to curse someone by saying their name and you aren't old enough. You also may not know enough to be able to curse someone by saying their full name. Players can have complicated names, or run off screen, or get mixed in with other players. You really need to keep a player moused over for a bit to completely note their name, especially if it's complicated. If a players actions warrant them to be cursed, there should be nothing preventing people from doing so.

#2 2019-09-02 07:15:38

Dodge

Re: This game needs to really improve its anti-grief mechanics

What do you mean by griefing?

Do you have examples?

Ideally doing "bad stuff" would be the same difficulty as doing something good.

But there is still some unbalanced griefing left, would help to know what you're talking about exactly.

#3 2019-09-02 07:34:13

DestinyCall

A recent update did address some of these issues.   If you are standing close to the person who griefed you, they can be cursed using a "wild card" curse ... "I curse you" or "Curse you".   This works at a much younger age than most names would allow.   It also gets around not knowing the person's name, nameless people, and really long player names. 

Just be careful, because it curses the NEAREST person to you.  Which might be someone innocent to the situation.   So reserve this method for situations where you are alone with the griefer or unable to use their name for whatever reason.  And before you curse, make sure they are the closest person to your location. 

Also, the refresh time on curse tokens was reduced from two hours down to 30 minutes when Jason changed the Donkey Town requirements.   

Unfortunately, the current system is still not strong enough, as the latest influx of organized griefing has shown.    I think the problem is that the ban length is just too short to have any real impact.   A cursed player is only area-banned for two days.   Which means you could be encountering the same person every time you play, if you only play the game for short sessions.

#4 2019-09-02 08:32:44

Chestburster

Dodge wrote:

Do you have examples?

But there is still some unbalanced griefing left, would help to know what you're talking about exactly.

Smashing ovens, mass murdering for no reason, stealing or eating things for no reason other than to piss people off, babies running around saying f and then starving themselves to death instead of infant suiciding which fucks with peoples genetics, generally anything done purposely for no reason other than to piss people off and ruin the game for others. There are loads of people who literly will do nothing else in the game but these things.

Dodge wrote:

A recent update did address some of these issues.   If you are standing close to the person who griefed you, they can be cursed using a "wild card" curse ... "I curse you" or "Curse you".

I'm aware of these changes. But of course many times you need to curse someone by name, and you can't always do that.

I think it has been implied that the point of the curse system currently is to allow you to choose not to play the game near anyone that you don't want to, with people sent to donkey town if there is too large amount of people that don't want to play with them to spawn.

With the current mechanics it mostly is not possible to do this which I personally feel is due to the reasons I listed, which is why I don't think the system is working as intended.

Last edited by Chestburster (2019-09-02 08:41:52)

#5 2019-09-02 08:55:07

sigmen4020

DestinyCall wrote:

Unfortunately, the current system is still not strong enough, as the latest influx of organized griefing has shown.    I think the problem is that the ban length is just too short to have any real impact.   A cursed player is only area-banned for two days.   Which means you could be encountering the same person every time you play, if you only play the game for short sessions.

Maybe a solution to this could be that the curse lasts game time and not real time. If it was changed to game time the time area banned would need to be reduced. I'll show an example how this could work:

Let's say I came across a griefer and I don't play often. I curse said griefer, and then proceed to not play two days. In the current system that would not punish the griefer in any way really, since they are right back in your babypool after those days.

Now in a theoretical new system based on game time rather than real time, let's say for example that a curse last 4 in game hours. This would mean that I theoretically could return those 3 days later and still not have that griefer in my baby pool. Of course if this were to be implemented it would probably have to work both ways. This means that the griefer could cut down the time of the curse by simply playing the game for 4 hours without you, but I still think such a system could potentially be better than the current system.

Another simpler solution would simply be to increase the time area banned.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#6 2019-09-02 09:51:37

Dodge

Chestburster wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Do you have examples?

Smashing ovens, mass murdering for no reason, stealing or eating things for no reason other than to piss people off, babies running around saying f and then starving themselves to death instead of infant suiciding which fucks with peoples genetics, generally anything done purposely for no reason other than to piss people off and ruin the game for others. There are loads of people who literly will do nothing else in the game but these things.

Most of these issues are because everything is accessible so easily and there is no reason to have properties.

Everyone can easily make or find a pickaxe and start destroying stuff.

Same for weapons.

The curse system doesn't really solve the issue because the griefer spawns somewhere else or simply avoids getting cursed too many times by too many people.

As long as the game will allow for these types of easily accessible unbalanced griefing there will always be griefing.

If it was balanced between regular players then it would be totally different

Imagine a scenario where everyone has a home/workshop so not everything is this easily accessible, someone is causing trouble so you scream "HELP" other villagers come to help you stun the troublemaker, he is now stunned and you drag him to jail, where you handcuff him to something and since he cant move his food goes down very slowly but he cant leave jail.

He is now trapped in jail and cant do anything else until he dies of old age, you basically just made it impossible for him to die and grief another village he cant play the game.

Now what if it happenned systematically to every griefer each time they try to grief, each village would have a jail and griefers would get jailed continuously.

Do you think they would stop griefing at some point? If they consistently get throw to jail and cant grief anymore.

The key here is needing a group to stun someone to put him in jail otherwise griefers could do the same and jail regular players.

#7 2019-09-02 15:56:49

Coconut Fruit

I didn't know punishment is that low and I believe many people didn't know it either. Once they realize this we may see more grieffing than ever before.

At the beginning I thought area ban is fine, but now I don't like it. I wish people with some amount of curses were being sent to donkey town for at least 5 days. If it was up to me I would probably sent them to donkey town for 5 days if it was their first time and 20 days every next time.
Cursing strength would be useful too IMO to prevent some situations.
And also I'm for removing inter-family cursing.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Board footer