One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-29 15:12:43

Karrots

Guide to when you should kill someone

Usually there are three situations in where you would debate killing someone.

1) A player is griefing, trolling or generally being a nuisance. Some examples are:
-taking baskets of pies from the kitchen
-taking flat rocks or blades from the forge
-cutting down important trees
-making many fires and feeding them constantly
-feeding babies big foods
-stealing babies

etc.

The correct action is ALWAYS to try communication.

Ask them WHAT they're doing. Ask them WHY they're doing it. EXPLAIN what your side is.
Make sure to tell them why they shouldn't  be doing what they're doing.

You don't feed babies high pip foods because babies only have a few food bars to fill.
You don't make many fires because a village only needs one and too many fires means you need that many times the wood.
You don't take flat rocks or blades from the forge because the forge needs them to function. Often the forge needs these things to function and you can get YOUR OWN FLAT ROCKS, YES  KAREN IM LOOKING AT YOU YOU BITCH

*ahem*

You might even learn a thing or two from the other person. And if they continue to do it, even after you've explained it, and refuse to justify their actions, THAT'S when you can attack.

----------------------------------

2) A player has just killed or (attempted to kill) another player. Pretty self-explanatory.

Again, communication is key. Ask them WHY.
Justified reasons may be:
-victim was an outsider eve with a warsword on their bag
-victim was a griefer and they can explain how the griefer was griefing

Examples of unjustified reasons:
-"they stabbed my (mother/sibling/aunt/uncle/grandma...)!" [ Stabbing someone because they stabbed someone else without communication is wrong, period ]
-"they're (black/white)" [ people you've made peace with are part of the family. Don't pull the race card ]
-no reason
-accident [ accidents are almost impossible with shift + click ]

Should the killer give an unjust reason or none at all, you may then stab.

----------------------------

3) Player is an outsider at your gate. (EDIT:  Acknowledging Jason's update, now people start at neutral. Now communication is possible )

̶k̶̶i̶̶l̶̶l̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶m̶

Do they have weapons? (ex: knife, sword, bow) Then really it's up to your judgement.

Though if they are unarmed, use either children or paper to communicate. Find out where their village is and bring and elder to make peace. Whatever floats your boat. Just be careful, they may have sinister motives

-------------------------

Just communicate. Please, for gods sake communicate, and stop stealing rocks from the forge for yoUR DUMB PAPER GODDAMMIT KAREN

Last edited by Karrots (2019-08-29 16:28:04)

#2 2019-08-29 15:20:57

DestinyCall

Re: Guide to when you should kill someone

NEVER. 

End of guide.

#3 2019-08-29 15:43:30

Averest

1) A player is griefing, trolling or generally being a nuisance. Some examples are:

Pies should be distributed to where people are working. A few surplus in the kitchen is fine, but distribution is better. Send kids out to retrieve the baskets and plates!

#4 2019-08-29 16:03:29

Saolin

DestinyCall wrote:

NEVER. 

End of guide.

Are you saying if you saw someone kill all the sheep, you wouldn't stab them? I think it's acceptable to kill sometimes, though I find killing tends to happen way too often for my liking.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-08-29 16:37:20)

#5 2019-08-29 16:08:57

Whatever

Karrots wrote:

----------------------------

3) Player is an outsider, armed or unarmed at your gate.

Kill them.

-------------------------

No, the rules have changed, jason made updates:

- you can curse people from other families
- war swords dont work on default, you first have to declare war on another family

so if the family is not at war with you, dont kill, unless you know its a griefer ofcourse

#6 2019-08-29 16:50:41

DestinyCall

Saolin wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

NEVER. 

End of guide.

Are you saying if you saw someone kill all the sheep, you wouldn't stab them? I think it's acceptable to kill sometimes, though I find killing tends to happen way too often for my liking.

I curse griefers.   Killing them just gives them to another village.

#7 2019-08-29 21:21:32

The_Anabaptist

I'm being told by the voices in my head that the correct answer to this is:

Right after you have typed: My God! Its coming right for us!

The_Anabaptist

#8 2019-08-29 22:01:40

DestinyCall

You should always listen to the voices in your head.  They are very wise and would never lie to you.

Or at least, that is what the voices keep telling me ...

#9 2019-08-29 22:51:04

Saolin

DestinyCall wrote:
Saolin wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

NEVER. 

End of guide.

And allow them to continue to run amok in your village?  You're not wrong about the cursing and I get why someone would advocate for no killing at all - don't want to fuel the fire, right? I think there is times it's justified though. The problem with my approach of course is it enables those who can convince themself that whatever excuse they can think of justifies their action the opportunity to do so. But if someone is actively trying to destroy the town I'm usually not going to allow them to continue to do so if I have the choice.

Anyway, cursing actually accomplishes the same thing as killing: making them another village's problem, just on a different time frame. That reminds me, I should probably be cursing more. Sunday I was having a really great time, Monday every village devolved into occasional random, unprovoked stab fiestas.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-08-29 23:08:42)

#10 2019-08-30 00:53:37

Dantox

DestinyCall wrote:

Sending them to another village adds more chances of that griefer getting cursed.

That seems a win to me. (also me not having to deal with him anymore too)

make bread, no war

#11 2019-08-30 00:58:59

DestinyCall

Not killing is better, because the more players who witness the griefer doing bad things and curse the griefer for doing bad things, the greater "herd immunity" is created against that player.   

Think of the good villagers as immune cells in a body.  You must first be exposed to an infection to build up a defense.  If you kill a griefer too quickly, people will not understand why you killed or if you are telling the truth about the griefer.  Few people will curse.  Some will curse wrong.   It is confusing.

But if you curse the griefer and warn others about the griefer, you give everyone in your village a chance to witness the griefer in action.  Everyone has an opportunity to curse him.   And all those players will spread out when they die, helping protect other players and other villages by preventing the griefer from being born in other families.

In the Rift, we are all stuck together.  Kill a griefer and he can just walk back to your village, if he wants to keep bothering you.  Unless you send him all the way to DT.

Curses are stronger than knives.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-30 01:00:20)

#12 2019-08-30 01:02:17

pedrito confesiones

kill everytime no one can see you and the victim is helpless

people with no weapons (atleast a knife) are in danger

Last edited by pedrito confesiones (2019-08-30 01:02:57)

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#13 2019-08-30 17:33:22

Saolin

DestinyCall wrote:

Not killing is better, because the more players who witness the griefer doing bad things and curse the griefer for doing bad things, the greater "herd immunity" is created against that player.   

Think of the good villagers as immune cells in a body.  You must first be exposed to an infection to build up a defense.  If you kill a griefer too quickly, people will not understand why you killed or if you are telling the truth about the griefer.  Few people will curse.  Some will curse wrong.   It is confusing.

But if you curse the griefer and warn others about the griefer, you give everyone in your village a chance to witness the griefer in action.  Everyone has an opportunity to curse him.   And all those players will spread out when they die, helping protect other players and other villages by preventing the griefer from being born in other families.

In the Rift, we are all stuck together.  Kill a griefer and he can just walk back to your village, if he wants to keep bothering you.  Unless you send him all the way to DT.

Curses are stronger than knives.

You're right, curses are stronger: longer time frame, and potentially multiple area bans with multiple curses.

When I'm living a life though, my primary goal usually is to help the village any way I can, so I don't like the idea of sitting by and allowing someone to grief that with just the comfort of knowing next life I won't have to deal with them at the expense of the current town, I want to help THIS village NOW by removing them from it ;p.  I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt for a little while (sometimes I regret it when more damage is done), so there tends to be opportunity for others to notice, and I tend to talk about it with others. I will admit that occasionally after getting burned by letting someone get away with it for too long, I tend to act more rashly the next time to avoid repeating the mistake; sometimes it is in error unfortunately and reminds me why I tend to be hesitant in the first place.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-08-30 17:43:24)

#14 2019-08-30 17:49:09

DestinyCall

And to clarify, there are some situations where killing IS the best among various bad options.   If someone is working their way though the village, stabbing people, I don't think it is a good idea to encourage people to stand around cursing the griefer while their loved ones bleed out.   If the griefing is rapidly destroying the village's chance of continued survival, immediate action must be taken and killing the griefer is one of the fastest ways to remove them from the equation quickly.

BUT ... just because it is a fast option, doesn't mean it is the best choice every time.   Nor does it make it the most effective solution, especially in the rift.   Kill a griefer right now, and he will just be back again in less than ten minutes.  Now with a new identity and longer life.   I think too many people rely on killing as a way to remove problems when it doesn't really work that well.   If you kill two or three griefers in one life ... are you really killing two or three different players or the same person three times?

#15 2019-08-30 17:54:05

ollj

i rarely get to read more nonsense than what karrots wrote.

besides. bears wont care for any of this.

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-30 17:55:41)

#16 2019-08-30 18:21:51

Saolin

DestinyCall wrote:

And to clarify, there are some situations where killing IS the best among various bad options.   If someone is working their way though the village, stabbing people, I don't think it is a good idea to encourage people to stand around cursing the griefer while their loved ones bleed out.   If the griefing is rapidly destroying the village's chance of continued survival, immediate action must be taken and killing the griefer is one of the fastest ways to remove them from the equation quickly.

BUT ... just because it is a fast option, doesn't mean it is the best choice every time.   Nor does it make it the most effective solution, especially in the rift.   Kill a griefer right now, and he will just be back again in less than ten minutes.  Now with a new identity and longer life.   I think too many people rely on killing as a way to remove problems when it doesn't really work that well.   If you kill two or three griefers in one life ... are you really killing two or three different players or the same person three times?

I can fully agree with that post.  Fwiw I used to curse primarily over killing, but gradually I started cursing less when I realized that (prior to the last update) one curse on its own didn't really do anything. This discussion has reminded me that I should re-evaluate my approach now with the overhauled curse system.

#17 2019-08-30 19:14:28

DestinyCall

ollj wrote:

besides. bears wont care for any of this.

A BEAR'S GUIDE ON WHEN TO KILL SOMEONE

1.)  Are they riding a horse? 
Horses are pretty.  Do not kill.

2.)  Are they standing in a field of berries? 
Gooseberries are delicious.  Do not kill.

2.)  Are they standing in a badly cluttered area?
Clutter is dangerous, you might trip and hurt yourself.  Kill them later.

3.) Are they holding a bow and making an angry face? 
Talk to them first.  Approach cautiously and use soft growls.  Be prepared to kill, if necessary.

4.) Are they holding raw meat and making a love face?
It might be a trap. Approach cautiously and see if they offer to share.  Be prepared to kill if they don't.

5.) Do they look a lot like the jerk who woke you up in the middle of a great dream? 
KILL IMMEDIATELY, THEN HUNT DOWN AND KILL ALL FAMILY.  DO NOT REST UNTIL YOUR VENGENCE IS COMPLETE. RAWR!

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-30 20:26:28)

#18 2019-08-30 23:14:41

Lum

I don't see why a member of another family would be more likely to have sinister motives than someone of your own family? Considering war isn't default anymore, they're not more likely to murder you than your brother is. Sounds like internalized xenophobia sprouted by the previous updates...

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#19 2019-08-31 15:12:12

NotAnotherBird

Averest wrote:

Pies should be distributed to where people are working. A few surplus in the kitchen is fine, but distribution is better. Send kids out to retrieve the baskets and plates!

Agreed, this really jumped out at me. Especially when the nursery is separate from the kitchen, food needs to be distributed. Those mamas shouldering the load of nursing the infants need food to do that job. Of course, if the communication approach is taken first, this legitimate redistribution of food would be clarified. But people are so stab happy.

#20 2019-08-31 16:12:52

DestinyCall

NotAnotherBird wrote:
Averest wrote:

Agreed, this really jumped out at me. Especially when the nursery is separate from the kitchen, food needs to be distributed. Those mamas shouldering the load of nursing the infants need food to do that job. Of course, if the communication approach is taken first, this legitimate redistribution of food would be clarified. But people are so stab happy.

Taking pies out of the bakery and hiding them behind a tree ... probably griefing.

Taking pies and putting them next to the smithy ... probably not griefing.

Taking pies and loading them into a cart filled with other baskets of pies ... might be a pie-thief.

Taking pies and loading them into a cart with an axe and shovel ... might be a wood cutter.

It all depends on the situation.   If you have zoom, the best option is to keep an eye on people at a distance and to communicate with other villagers when you notice something that looks suspicious.  Once you spot someone that looks odd, write down their name for cursing and identifying them to other people.   Everyone looks similar, so be careful that you aren't confusing two different people who have the same character model.  If you feel that you have a confirmed griefer and they are not directly harming the village, take this opportunity to tie up their time while you get as many people to notice and curse them.  The curse system works best when you take a community approach and leaving the person alive means they are stuck in their current life with someone who is wise to their evil ways.  If you kill them, they just get a free pass to harass some other village in the rift.   But if you fix everything they break, they can't hurt your village and you have ample evidence to show other people that they are being a dick.

Board footer