One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-27 16:25:16

FulmenTheFinn

Suggestion: Halve "hungry work" penalty and/or make it account for yum

I think the current penalty from hungry work to the food bar is a bit too punishing, particularly in Eve camps or early towns, where you might need to cut down a lot of trees to plan out the town in an efficient manner, while also trying to maintain at least some kind of yum chain, without having to constantly badger people to feed you (to avoid eating the same food yourself and thus resetting your chain).

Recently I've observed a sharp drop in the amount of carts and particularly floorboards in towns, which would also suggest the penalty is too high as people are now actively avoiding cutting down trees.

Additionally, in the current iteration of the game, hungry work directly takes away from the squares in the food bar, not the extra numbers of "health" that you gain from yum chaining. This has the effect of limiting the age at which you can cut down trees, and constantly having to eat/be fed when you actually can, even when at a high level of yum. E.g. in my latest life, at circa age 30 I had close to 20 yum and nearly +100 of extra "health" in addition to the actual food bar, but kept having to eat a new food after every 1-2 trees I cut down.

Thus I suggest halving the penalty from hungry work and making it take away from the extra numbers one might have as a consequence of yum chaining, before actually taking away from the hunger bar.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#2 2019-08-27 16:35:02

DestinyCall

Re: Suggestion: Halve "hungry work" penalty and/or make it account for yum

I think the amount of hunger it takes is fine ... but we need some trees that are easy to chop up for firewood and logs, instead of ALL trees being hard work.   Resource trees (maple, juniper, birch, pine, rubber tree, palm tree) should be hungry work and non-productive trees (jungle, desert, swamp trees) can be regular work.  This encourages people to clear rubbish trees first and save the removal of resource-producing trees for times when your food supply can handle the extra drain.

I'm also okay with hungry work creating an artificial age cap.   Chopping trees is no work for old men or children.   It's rough work and requires a strong body.   Feels natural enough to me.

However, hungry work should DEFINITELY target the extra pips from yum chaining first, before removing from your actual food bar.  That sounds like  a bug to me.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-27 17:21:11)

#3 2019-08-27 17:05:21

FulmenTheFinn

DestinyCall wrote:

Almost okay with hungry work creating an artificial age cap.   Chopping trees is no work for old men or children.   It's rough work and requires a strong body.   Feels natural enough to me.

However, hungry work should DEFINITELY target the extra pips from yum chaining first, before removing from your actual food bar.  That sounds like  a bug to me.

Having hungry work targeting extra "pips" from yum first would allow for elderly with high yum to continue cutting down trees, at least to a later point than now. Which makes sense: they're fit, and there's plenty of real examples from history of older guys working as lumberjacks, usually after years of experience.

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#4 2019-08-27 17:21:53

DestinyCall

Exactly - and a high genetic fitness would also allow for a longer working life for some players.

#5 2019-08-27 19:18:55

happynova

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Recently I've observed a sharp drop in the amount of carts and particularly floorboards in towns, which would also suggest the penalty is too high as people are now actively avoiding cutting down trees.

Worse than that, I think every town I've played in since the update has had a chronic shortage of firewood, sometimes with the fires actually going out because of it.  And I understand why.  Chopping more than one tree at a time is just punishing.  I'm certainly no longer doing what I used to do and taking a cart and an axe out for multiple trips to stockpile up two or three stacks of wood.

Jason has said the reasoning is that he initially made only hardwood trees hard to chop, but that left out the juniper and people were griefing juniper, so he had to make the juniper hard to chop, too, and for the sake of consistency he just made all the trees hungry work.   I admire his urge to make the game align with real-world botanical fact, but I think this is one case where it's probably better to fudge the realism in the interest of better game mechanics.  Making all the useful trees hard to chop and all the useless (or essentially useless, like pine) ones easy would be ideal.

#6 2019-08-27 19:27:41

Twisted

IMO I think all trees being hungry work is fine. The real problem is the small amount of firewood and logs we get per chop. One tiny log and two firewood per tree is an incredibly small number when you consider the fact that you're chopping down a whole tree!

#7 2019-08-27 19:53:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Whoops, the YUM chain thing was an oversight on my part.  Will fix.

Pine will become non-hungry work soon.  That way, you will go to mountains for logging, just like what's shown in trailer.

#8 2019-08-27 19:58:54

Phuckoff04

jasonrohrer wrote:

Pine will become non-hungry work soon.  That way, you will go to mountains for logging, just like what's shown in trailer.

Thank you

#9 2019-08-27 20:05:41

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Can you also include the large swamp/jungle trees and dead desert trees as non-hungry work?   These trees currently serve no purpose beyond firewood/logs and aesthetics.

A tree type that gives two logs would be really nice too.   The extra big trees would work nicely for this purpose.   We already have Juniper that gives NO logs.   A tree that gives extra logs (and less firewood) adds more interest to tree harvesting selection.   Maybe some trees are grest firewood trees and others are great log-producers.   So you head to the jungle for more logs and the mountains for better firewood.

#10 2019-08-27 20:11:37

Coconut Fruit

Since it's worth to cut a tree to make a cart or a bucket, it's not worth it to make a floor. One wooden log should be able to make 3 or 4 floors IMO.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#11 2019-08-27 20:15:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, there could be all kinds of little tweaks to this at some point.  I'm looking for a quick fix.  I leave for PAX in 2 days.

#12 2019-08-27 20:18:39

DestinyCall

Good luck at Pax!

#13 2019-08-27 20:39:47

Dodge

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, there could be all kinds of little tweaks to this at some point.  I'm looking for a quick fix.  I leave for PAX in 2 days.

Double how long the large fire lasts?

Since cutting trees costs more ressources (food) it should give more too.

#14 2019-08-27 20:49:16

Twisted

Easy quick fix - Make White Pine Tree with Needles, White Pine Tree, Dead Tree, Bald Cypress Tree, Willow Tree NOT hungry work.

I do think this is worth looking into once you get back from PAX though.

#15 2019-08-29 17:50:57

FulmenTheFinn

The latest update made the health penalty from hungry work account for yum, but not the actual permission to do hungry work. For that the game still only considers the amount of actual filled boxes in the food bar. This means that anyone at ~50 years of age even with 20 yum will not be able to cut down a tree. This is likely another oversight and should be addressed.

Board footer