One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-07 16:40:15

fragilityh14

In Praise of Cactus Fruit and a Note on Terrain Spawning

Cactus fruit is a god send in terms of reducing food pressure It is renewable, hardy, and comes back rather quickly. Do not forget to harvest it frequently if you establish a camp near it. in a recent game i mostly lived on it while I trapped rabbits extensively- bringing much to the camp and living off a resource they barely noticed. Even when the camp nearly starved others didn't seem to notice the cactus fruit just to the north.

I don't know that there are any rules to remember, as it appears you can only harvest it when it's fruiting, and that it comes back sooner the sooner you harvest it, thus, fruiting cactus should always be harvested, similar to leaving milkweed on the ground. (I may be your mother if it's a new campsite and i run around with a baby picking milkweed and living off the farther out berries and cactuses while the children set up the camp.)

But remember, there is something i discovered in my attempted run to the end of the world (before i knew it was infinite, i spent about 50 minutes running north to see what would happen.)

Some things, such as rabbits, cactus fruit, and milkweed don't start their cycle until a player sees them. If you go somewhere and all of the milkweed is new, none of the cactuses have fruit, or most noticeably, none of the rabbit holes are family rabbit holes, you are in new territory. This is why we're seeing so many abandoned rabbit holes right after the apocalypse.

This means when you come to a new camp it is important to run around exploring the immediate area- for its own sake- so rabbits, milkweed, and cactus come into production. (I can't think of anything else this effects...it may have the effect of waking up the bears and wolves...)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#2 2018-04-07 16:44:51

Thexus

Re: In Praise of Cactus Fruit and a Note on Terrain Spawning

cactustoanewlevel.JPG

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#3 2018-04-07 16:51:41

llap

LOL ... Thexus  ... do you have shoes from cactus fruits smile

llap Olli

#4 2018-04-07 16:56:11

Thexus

yes, they are bugged
same as saddles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FHnc4 … e=youtu.be

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#5 2018-04-07 17:13:59

breezeknight

fragilityh14 wrote:

Some things, such as rabbits, cactus fruit, and milkweed don't start their cycle until a player sees them. If you go somewhere and all of the milkweed is new, none of the cactuses have fruit, or most noticeably, none of the rabbit holes are family rabbit holes, you are in new territory. This is why we're seeing so many abandoned rabbit holes right after the apocalypse.

This means when you come to a new camp it is important to run around exploring the immediate area- for its own sake- so rabbits, milkweed, and cactus come into production. (I can't think of anything else this effects...it may have the effect of waking up the bears and wolves...)

what do you mean by "abandoned rabbit holes" ?
an abandoned rabbit hole is actually abandoned, what you see is indeed new rabbit hole with growing rabbits, that needs only time

an actually abandoned rabbit hole, one where the rabbit was captured without the young rabbit present near the mother rabbit, won't respawn (at least not in forseeable future)

& i agree with the cactus fruit, saved my life several times, & so did oc berry bushes smile

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-07 17:14:46)

#6 2018-04-07 17:41:17

Xuhybrid

breezeknight wrote:
fragilityh14 wrote:

what do you mean by "abandoned rabbit holes" ?
an abandoned rabbit hole is actually abandoned, what you see is indeed new rabbit hole with growing rabbits, that needs only time

an actually abandoned rabbit hole, one where the rabbit was captured without the young rabbit present near the mother rabbit, won't respawn (at least not in forseeable future)

& i agree with the cactus fruit, saved my life several times, & so did oc berry bushes smile

- - -

Yes, so tell me what happens when you carry a snare into a newly generated area? You trap the non-family rabbit hole and what does it become?

#7 2018-04-07 18:06:22

fragilityh14

yeah exactly, I meant near new areas someone has already been too there are already abandoned holes, which you wouldn't expect unless an area was populated enough to be overharvested.

oh and what do you mean "oc berry bushes"

i assume you just mean the wildgooseberries, but now I'm wondering if i'm missing something.

Last edited by fragilityh14 (2018-04-07 18:07:21)

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#8 2018-04-07 18:49:13

Amber

thank you for the advice!  I too have found i survive longer when out scavenging while everyone at town is dying left and right waiting for carrots.  There is always food available, you just have to explore.

#9 2018-04-07 23:28:39

Alleria

With the latest few patches, the forager role is now essential. At least 1/4 of the society should be primarily foragers at the current meta. Cactus fruit stronk.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

Board footer