One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-08-12 17:17:58

BlueDiamondAvatar

Re: 8 days was too long, but what would be ideal?

My suggestion for a proxy for the server being stuck in barely livable stagnation... photos taken.  Looks like we had an 8 day break in anyone taking pictures with the OHOL camera anywhere on the server. 

Specifically, once photos have been taken during an arc, there should be someone taking a photo somewhere within every RL twenty four hours, or the server resets.

It takes longer to get to camera than diesel engine, and the complexity of making photo paper makes it only possible in stable cities.

Because stagnation means there's nothing worth photographing...

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#27 2019-08-13 13:22:56

jasonrohrer
Administrator

That's interesting about the photos.

Then it will be a race to take photos for the good players, trying to keep it alive.

Though I do hesitate to make it any one thing like that.... it will distort player behavior pretty severely.  Players trying to make cameras and griefers trying to destroy cameras.

#28 2019-08-13 15:25:42

DestinyCall

Why bother with adding an external fail condition when you have already added an in-game reset?

Just ensure that a player-triggered apocolypse is actually possible this time.    When people are tired of playing, we can kick off the end ourselves.   You don't even need to measure anything.   When the time comes, we will know.

#29 2019-08-13 15:34:07

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

Why bother with adding an external fail condition when you have already added an in-game reset?

Just ensure that a player-triggered apocolypse is actually possible this time.    When people are tired of playing, we can kick off the end ourselves.   You don't even need to measure anything.   When the time comes, we will know.

That might be the best and most interesting solution, but there's one big problem with it, if the game gets completely unplayable, no food, hidden/locked out endstones, what do you do?

The game dies, so there needs to be an automated reset.

#30 2019-08-13 15:35:13

BlueDiamondAvatar

Personally I'd rather have us fighting over cameras than the endstones... at least it is an item that doesn't require a ritual killing.

But you have a good point, that a single fail condition will cause people to distort their actions...Maybe something like the max number of families decreases for every two hours that no pictures are taken?  There are probably additional metrics that could be used and combined, too.

But mostly, I wanted to share that there were no pictures during the long decline.  smile

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#31 2019-08-13 16:37:57

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

That might be the best and most interesting solution, but there's one big problem with it, if the game gets completely unplayable, no food, hidden/locked out endstones, what do you do?

Yes .. the ability to permanently lock away, teleport out, or hide all the endstones needs to be solved to make the apocalypse a viable end-state for the rift.   But think about it ... anything you can do to an endstone can be done to an engine.   Fixing the current problems with the player-initiated apocalypse would require fixing many problems that are currently exploited by griefers to permanently render the map unplayable. 

The two issues are related.

And it makes a lot more sense to end the world by using a magic ritual than by failing to post a selfie to social media every five hours.   Unless you are a teenage girl ...

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-13 16:39:05)

#32 2019-08-13 16:43:17

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:
Dodge wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Yes .. the ability to permanently lock away, teleport out, or hide all the endstones needs to be solved to make the apocalypse a viable end-state for the rift.   But think about it ... anything you can do to an endstone can be done to an engine.   Fixing the current problems with the player-initiated apocalypse would require fixing many problems that are currently exploited by griefers to permanently render the map unplayable. 

The two issues are related.

And it makes a lot more sense to end the world by using a magic ritual than by failing to post a selfie to social media every five hours.   Unless you are a teenage girl ...

I agree it would be a cool way to end the world, but there's always that risk where the game is completely broken and cant reset, no food what do you do?

You endlessly spawn as Eve just to die a few seconds later?

#33 2019-08-13 17:09:19

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:

I agree it would be a cool way to end the world, but there's always that risk where the game is completely broken and cant reset, no food what do you do?

As long as there is some regenerating wild food available on the map, Eves and individual wandering villagers can move around freely.   An established food source is only necessary if you are trying to get a lot of people in the same spot for a long time so you can build civilization and advance up the tech tree.   Once the game enters fail state and civilization is broken beyond repair, there would be little else to do but find the endstones and assemble the tower.     

There could be a back-up fail condition that is triggered by persistent Eve Hell, but I think the primary means of resetting the map should be player-driven.   Otherwise, what was the point of adding that feature to the game in the first place?   The Rift actually needs some kind of a reset button and the game already has one available.   It would be silly to not utilize it fully.

#34 2019-08-13 17:21:33

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:
Dodge wrote:

As long as there is some regenerating wild food available on the map, Eves and individual wandering villagers can move around freely.   An established food source is only necessary if you are trying to get a lot of people in the same spot for a long time so you can build civilization and advance up the tech tree.   Once the game enters fail state and civilization is broken beyond repair, there would be little else to do but find the endstones and assemble the tower.     

There could be a back-up fail condition that is triggered by persistent Eve Hell, but I think the primary means of resetting the map should be player-driven.   Otherwise, what was the point of adding that feature to the game in the first place?   The Rift actually needs some kind of a reset button and the game already has one available.   It would be silly to not utilize it fully.

So if someone digs up all the wild berry bushes, how does that go?

If someone locks up the endstones in locked chests and destroys all the iron to make a key, how does that go?

#35 2019-08-13 18:00:27

DestinyCall

Indeed.  How does that go?

Maybe we need something to be done about that kind of behavior.   It might even be considered a game-breaking problem.

#36 2019-08-13 18:10:44

Dodge

DestinyCall wrote:

Indeed.  How does that go?

Maybe we need something to be done about that kind of behavior.   It might even be considered a game-breaking problem.

Locked chests for example are not game breaking in itself, but if you need endstones then it can break the game.

And even if you remove chests there's multiple other ways that you could prevent the apocalypse from happenning it's just way too risky.

#37 2019-08-13 18:27:13

DestinyCall

Locks are pretty much only used by griefers right now and historically.   This game is sorely in need of lockpicks or a crowbar.   

Or a way to permanently remove troublemakers.

Ultimately, many different problems can be traced back to a single root cause.  We need more effective tools for dealing with organized griefing and ways to remove persistant griefers from the game.  The majority of the possible changes that could be made to "fix" the Rift will fail if this level of active griefing is allowed to continue.   The problem has been ignored for too long.

#38 2019-08-13 18:37:05

Potjeh

Honestly even one day is too long if we're going to live in an area small enough to have a global tech level. Getting to the end of the tech three takes like 6h max, which means most of our lives will be lived in top end tech societies, and that's really bad for diversity between lives.

#39 2019-08-14 13:59:28

Ruben

I would've loved it if the rift was actually expanding or shrinking (earthquakes?), both types leaving a natural state in their wake. This way there would have been a controlled flow of new natural resources, while "living on the egde" can be taken literally.

Players would experience both: resource shortage and abundance, depending on their life.

It has a very real resemblence with nature, as you find most marine life around coasts.
This way, the middle of the map could become a hot spot, but the rift does not need to be a rectangle, it could also be a convex shaped ball encircling the villages.

Sorry for just pasting it here, I just do what I love to do.

#40 2019-08-15 18:16:19

Saolin

I agree with DestinyCall that having the apocalypse as the primary reset trigger should be fine. Though having a backup condition is probably necessary just in case. For example you could have the reset condition be "no one lives longer than x amount of time, where x is how long it would take an Eve to starve with no food." Though for that condition to be met I imagine the game would have been pretty horrible for quite a while already, so I'm not sure on specifics. But just a secondary condition that would guard against the apocalypse becoming impossible.

#41 2019-08-15 20:37:42

The_Anabaptist

Reading the title of the thread my mind tells me:  "This is a trick question.  The answer must be one hour."

The_Anabaptist

#42 2019-08-15 21:50:04

DestinyCall

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Reading the title of the thread my mind tells me:  "This is a trick question.  The answer must be one hour."

The_Anabaptist

Best. Idea. Ever.

Board footer