#1 2018-04-06 15:53:10

bearfood

APOCALUPSE TURNED OFF

Jason said in the discord that is turned of for now , back to work

#2 2018-04-06 17:01:46

Maevre

Re: APOCALUPSE TURNED OFF

Yeah, elsewhere in this forum he wrote:

"Ah, it seems that everyone suddenly woke up!

Apocalypse is off again, for now.

But it created a cleanse that was sorely needed.

I'll be working on some other stuff today that will create more of a "natural" apocalypse when a village dies out for real (the next Eve will spawn very far away, in the wilderness).  That, actually, might have been the problem.  Everything was happening in the middle, very close together, and when a village would die out, a later generation would just resume it.

You would walk in any direction and find a village.  It was getting very crowded.

The longest generation is 31.  That's only 7 hours!

BUT some of these cities have clearly been developed for WEEKS.  That means that after people die out there, later players discover and resume.

I do want ruins to be discovered sometimes.  BUT the main game should be figuring out how NOT to die out.  Dying out should matter.  It should be a big deal.  The village should be lost if it happens.   Not just "respawn as Eve and follow the road back to the village and continue."

I still think the whole apocalypse thing was a bit drastic, but I can appreciate Jason wants to set us the challenge of surviving longer as a family. We might have to create cluster-villages, so that if one village dies out, the others can repopulate it... Emigrate from your villages. Set up shop nearby... Let your children know.

#3 2018-04-06 17:26:52

stickyflypaper

Hooray!
I tried playing earlier, before this announcement, and it felt depressing and pointless. The people were struggling so hard for a meager existence that would likely be wiped away. I didn't even care I had no name.

#4 2018-04-06 17:29:12

starplayer

No, not back to work.
Even if it is turned off, the "for now" part really puts me of this game.
I loved it, played a lot.
I just can't see myself investing hours on building civilization, if it is to be wiped out in a jif, not because of some engine rewrites or something like that, but because the creator has a f*cked up vision about what this is game is supposed to be, pissing off everyone to solve a problem that wasn't really a problem, without even asking for input from the comunity.

Last edited by starplayer (2018-04-06 17:29:37)

#5 2018-04-06 17:40:23

Verinon1

starplayer wrote:

No, not back to work.
I just can't see myself investing hours on building civilization, if it is to be wiped out in a jif, not because of some engine rewrites or something like that, but because the creator has a f*cked up vision about what this is game is supposed to be, pissing off everyone to solve a problem that wasn't really a problem, without even asking for input from the comunity.

Agreed. Getting wiped again and again isn’t fun. And as long as wipes are in the hands of players, that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

#6 2018-04-06 17:46:40

Truthseeker

starplayer wrote:

No, not back to work.

Grrr, how dare a designer do what they believe is best with their art, don't they know I paid them money? That means they owe it to me to consult me on any changes made! how DARE Jason do something he was planning from the start in a way I don't approve of to solve a problem that doesn't bother me specifically, how totally rude and inconsiderate to all the people who built those civs that the rest of the servers then spent the next several weeks picking up instead of building for themselves!

Last edited by Truthseeker (2018-04-06 17:47:12)

#7 2018-04-06 17:58:35

stickyflypaper

Let's not forget that this game is still very much a work in progress.

#8 2018-04-06 17:59:57

veene

I know some people are complaining of berry bushes turning into gooseponds etc. It means you need the update, and that will require you to change UseCustomServer back to 0

#9 2018-04-06 18:04:28

SunWukong

If Jason intends for "lost civilizations" to remain truly lost, he's also going to have to do something to obfuscate or otherwise prevent players from accessing their coordinates (historical and current) from the accessible text files.

I think I get what he's trying to achieve with this theme of preserving continuity through community and sustainability, of having consequences matter.  But he must surely realize that there's also a meta-competition going on with a segment of players trying to outsmart the developer.  Like Gibson says, the street always finds its own uses for technology.

#10 2018-04-06 18:15:39

vilka

Truthseeker wrote:

Grrr, how dare a designer do what they believe is best with their art, don't they know I paid them money? That means they owe it to me to consult me on any changes made! how DARE Jason do something he was planning from the start in a way I don't approve of to solve a problem that doesn't bother me specifically, how totally rude and inconsiderate to all the people who built those civs that the rest of the servers then spent the next several weeks picking up instead of building for themselves!

Not one person has come even close to saying any of that but nice way to shut down any concerns people have with that hyperbole.

Last edited by vilka (2018-04-06 18:16:13)

#11 2018-04-06 19:06:09

Truthseeker

vilka wrote:
Truthseeker wrote:

Not one person has come even close to saying any of that but nice way to shut down any concerns people have with that hyperbole.

Actually I've been seeing people saying exactly this shit since the moment the update went live, the saltiness is enough to salt every plot on every server it's kind of impressive.

Last edited by Truthseeker (2018-04-06 19:07:17)

#12 2018-04-06 19:24:12

masamune0

Nah I like the idea of apocalypse, but it shouldn't happen every hour obviously.

And I like the idea of respawning far from cities, a lot. It will bring a lot more weight on family, because with it, if your family die, your whole village will be forgotten/ever found ever again, meaning you can't let your city die. It will ramp up a lot more the difficulty, which is fun because right now it is too easy. Die? Just respawn nearby and find it easily... or just walk for 2 min and you will find it if you have coord or visual ig indicators (wooden floor..)

#13 2018-04-06 19:28:34

fragilityh14

Now that I see Jason's statement, I am totally down.

I do like busting out new civilizations. I got a lucky spawn point yesterday and had really good kids and managed to have six children survive to maturity. (Unfortunately, the area had a real lack of reeds and wheat but besides that it was great) It was one of my best lives.

All gone now, of course.

Anyway, there was definitely an excess of human items etc developing. I like the idea of the area being wider, but at the same time, i think that means the number of people allowed per server needs to be majorly turned up. Presumably if players are farther away from eachother lag is less of a problem?

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

#14 2018-04-06 22:38:30

Whoopie

For the people who complaint about apocalypse, have you saw the videos under the main page?

"The thinking behind One Hour One Life"
Especially this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu8d3iW2yxM

I do agree with the thread that said Apocalypse should not happen every hour tho lol.

"So what do you think, the main problem in One Hour One Life?"
"Probably, this."

#15 2018-04-06 22:56:18

FeignedSanity

starplayer wrote:

No, not back to work.

Well just because you thought it wasn't really a problem doesn't mean that it wasn't. Personally, it was a huge problem for me and a big reason why I haven't been playing recently. The game was really stagnant. And what you call a f*cked up vision, is actually something I find intriguing. If you want to spent hours building a civilization you can come back to and pick up everyday, there are plenty of games for that.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#16 2018-04-06 23:01:50

FeignedSanity

Truthseeker wrote:
vilka wrote:
Truthseeker wrote:

Actually I've been seeing people saying exactly this shit since the moment the update went live, the saltiness is enough to salt every plot on every server it's kind of impressive.

Yep, same. Everyone's been complaining like they just had their minecraft server wiped. And I will qualify my statement by saying that quite a few of these people are really just voicing concerns, rather than actually complaining. But quite a few are just whining and even going so far as asking for a refund.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#17 2018-04-06 23:14:48

shoukanjuu

FeignedSanity wrote:
Truthseeker wrote:
vilka wrote:

Yep, same. Everyone's been complaining like they just had their minecraft server wiped. And I will qualify my statement by saying that quite a few of these people are really just voicing concerns, rather than actually complaining. But quite a few are just whining and even going so far as asking for a refund.

You have my agreement, as well.

Also, a lot of people are complaining about Jason developing the game towards fulfilling the VERY EXPLICIT vision that was stated from the beginning. It's fine for someone not to like or agree with it, but they don't have a leg to stand on, if they're accusing Jason of CHANGING what the game is or was intended to be.

#18 2018-04-06 23:14:56

Turnipseed

bearfood wrote:

its not off happened again.

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#19 2018-04-06 23:19:05

starplayer

Turnipseed wrote:
bearfood wrote:

Are you sure?

#20 2018-04-06 23:21:27

Verinon1

starplayer wrote:
Turnipseed wrote:
bearfood wrote:

Are you sure?

Yep. We’re up to Apocalypse 5 now. This time it was a mistake though. Jason forgot that the fix wouldn’t implement until a server restart took effect so now he’s working on that while also deliberating on how to change Eve spawns to make the game harder and prevent villages.

#21 2018-04-06 23:21:37

AmyJ96

starplayer wrote:
Turnipseed wrote:
bearfood wrote:

Are you sure?

Yes, there was definitely another one about an hour ago

#22 2018-04-07 00:46:38

breezeknight

Truthseeker wrote:
starplayer wrote:

No, not back to work.

exactly my thoughts lol

#23 2018-04-07 00:56:34

fragilityh14

I think the server reset now. I made a nice farm with my mother, who named me Apple Pie. It was funny actually when I was old enough to look around we happened to be REALLY close to a camp.

Anyway, I didnt have any kids the whole time, and when I died at 60 it said connection lost.

Shame though, we made a nice little spot

I'll tell you what I tell all my children: Make basket, always carry food.

Listen to your mom!

Board footer