One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-08 23:27:32

Felders

Removable Engines

The Diesel mines can have their engines taken. Griefing is so heavy within the rift that its impossible to keep one up and functioning. If the engine could become fixed in place for mines that'd be nice.

#2 2019-10-06 22:47:18

mensrea

Re: Removable Engines

There is a solution to easy engine theft already. Using a lock and key on a wooden chest gives you a locked wooden chest. Put the engine for mining inside the chest and stash the key. You might also include a basket or backpack of chisels and a tank of kerosene.

It's usually pretty clear where the town well site is going to be so you don't have an issue where you want to move a diesel water pump. But imagine you find a new collapsed mine site that is more desirable than the first one you find. Or, you have to travel a long way to get to the site. Then having the engine in town allows your ancestors to take the engine to any mine site. Some towns do not have a close collapsed mine. Relocatable mining engines allow you to skip marking a trail, which could be quite lengthy, by returning the engine to town after use.

Also, griefers could more easily block a mine engine if it's permanently installed, because they're remote and rarely visited.

You said it'd be nice if the engine was permanently attached to the mine but I'm not convinced that solves the griefing problem.

Having a degree in lockpicking ensures some minimum level of skill and effort to access to the engine for getting more iron. What I mean is, you can't just throw the engine in a horsecart and run away laughing at the town. At least you have to spend the time picking the lock. It gives other players opportunity to judge what you might be up to. I feel better if I see someone smithing responsibly doing lockpicking stuff. For instance, a griefer is less likely to do anything other than make a knife or lockpick, but a player going to get iron will also make chisels and other smithing work.

How engines and iron can go wrong: I am currently spending time in Donkey Town. I started a life seeing an engine sitting on the ground. I promptly locked it up, gathered a horsecart of kindling, made some chisels, and upon returning with raw iron, I get cursed and chased for stealing shit. If I'd known I'd be punished by being unable to play, I would have run off the with the horsecart I was using to kite players while dropping baskets and BPs of iron. I was probably convinced to be massively cursed post-mortem by the real griefer who killed me. Contributing was the nursery fire was below the smith rather than near the kitchen. This meant more people than usual in the area who probably don't understand what's going on. The funny thing about it is I made two trips of iron. So initially we had almost none, then after returning to town with a small batch of raw iron and the engine, then returning with only baskets of iron, it was probably easy for an 'idiot' to think iron was leaving rather than coming to town. I did load a BP full of chisels and took the engine, that looks like I'm stealing chisels, BPs, and an engine.

I remember when I used to be very quick to murder people who were dealing with locks. I think locking an engine is legitimate anti-griefing strategy. I also think using a key lower in the alphabet is indicative of less evil intentions. But nobody is going to hold a trial and wait to find that out.

I have even locked an engine in a town with an exhausted deep well so I could be sure to make a couple of mining runs before installing it. I have also griefed myself as in my dying moment I helped a new person by making a pump valve jacket, only later returning to the same town with a diesel pump but no tools. This is another argument for keeping the mining engine removable so that you can get some more iron to make the town's second diesel prior to installation of the diesel pump.

For reference this post was made after the killing delay update.

Board footer