One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 16:28:45

Verinon1

What is the point of an Apocalypse?

What exactly was the point of implementing the Apocalypse in the first place? I thought the whole point of this game was to advance civilization over time as a group over many many lives? Now nothing we do has any meaning because it’ll inevitably get wiped out again when the next Apoc happens. The thing I and many other people liked about this game was the permanence of your actions. Apoc does away with that entirely. It negates the purpose of the game. It would be different if this wasn’t a game about lasting actions and instead was always meant to be temporary.

I realize that Jason turned off Apoc for now, but he will likely turn it back on once he makes it harder for people to accomplish. But it’s irrelevant how hard the Apoc is to accomplish, people will still find a way to do it (and then speedrun it after that). If Jason wanted to implement a way to trigger a server wipe then he should have just scheduled one ahead of time and given us the heads up before he did it himself (but, again, what’s the point in playing OHOL when you know nothing you do matters in the long run?)

#2 2018-04-06 16:31:18

bunny

Re: What is the point of an Apocalypse?

Cause there would be too much random shit everywhere. Plus there will probably be a way to preserve stuff in the future...my guess

#3 2018-04-06 16:34:45

Tarkolis

Jason explained it in the news post:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Not griefers, exactly.

I feel like the game kinda stagnates once people reach the upper levels of tech.  Obviously, there's nothing left to "do" at that point.

I'm going to be adding content to the game every week, but for the foreseeable future, people will be able to catch up to me before the end of the week.

It's impossible for me to make content that will take you MORE than a week to play through if I only spend a week making it.  In fact, so far, it has taken people a few hours to play through the content that I spend a week making.

The idea is that there will be an apocalypse trigger in the upper reaches of the tech tree.  But it will move and change each week, going further up as the tech moves further up.

And, when people get really bored of high-level tech, they can trigger it and start over again.  But every week, it gets harder and harder to trigger as it moves further up the tech tree.

Eventually, when I'm done adding tech to the game in 2 years, the apocalypse trigger would be a nuclear bomb or something like that.  And it will hopefully take people a full week or more to get to that point in tech.

After all, this IS a game about what it's like to build civilization from scratch, if we had to.

Over the past 2+ weeks, people hadn't really been doing that anymore, as civilization had become established.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on this and adjusting it along the way.

Source: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=939

#4 2018-04-06 17:32:00

starplayer

The point is Jason has a weird vision of what this game should be, and didn't ask for any input from the community on this topic.

He hasn't realized that once you release a game, you owe something to your players, even more if they paid.

This game apparently isn't about having fun, and building civilization in a hard world. It's about restarting from zero again, and again, and again. Lotsa fun.

#5 2018-04-06 17:37:30

Verinon1

starplayer wrote:

The point is Jason has a weird vision of what this game should be, and didn't ask for any input from the community on this topic.

He hasn't realized that once you release a game, you owe something to your players, even more if they paid.

This game apparently isn't about having fun, and building civilization in a hard world. It's about restarting from zero again, and again, and again. Lotsa fun.

That’s what worries me.

#6 2018-04-06 18:20:13

Rebel

starplayer wrote:

Not to step on your post but its rare in the gaming industry that companies "Listen" to their player base, infact it only happens with indie developers. You think EA or Ubisoft give a shit that there are a group of players doesn't like a feature?

And Also I don't understand people view on the whole "I spend hours building a village and then it gets destroyed what a waste of time" situation, Its a game, the point of it is to waste your time, most people get bored of after a week or two does that make it a waste of time? That argument is invalid.

And Jason has every right to make this game the way HE wants it, it's not our game, it's his. I am thankful that he made it in the first place let alone dealing with players that want to make it a different game from what he envisions even if that means losing half the player base, the people who remain will be the people who share his vision.

At the end of the day, it takes a couple of few lives to reach the end of the tech tree, and have a nice looking primitive town built up, One day it will take weeks to reach the end. servers would die if there wasn't a reset button its boring just spawning in to an already built server, imagine the only thing left to do in the game is to farm because you already have all the tools, houses, clothes etc, even setting up new towns feels less like an achievement. imagine a world reset where you are the first people to start farming or the first people to make tools the rush of being the best village is amazing, let alone being the village that can last generations because of the advanced technology. 

and FYI I went from playing 4-5 hours a day down to 1 due to there being nothing to do, after the update i have been on so much more due to the resets. every life feels more like an achievement rather than the repetitive stuff we had before.

#7 2018-04-06 18:26:50

vilka

Rebel wrote:

and FYI I went from playing 4-5 hours a day down to 1 due to there being nothing to do, after the update i have been on so much more due to the resets. every life feels more like an achievement rather than the repetitive stuff we had before.

The Apocalypse caused you to have to start over but you could have done that any time you wanted if you were bored with repetitive stuff. Nothing was stopping you from venturing out to make a new town.

#8 2018-04-06 18:47:11

starplayer

Rebel wrote:
starplayer wrote:

Not to step on your post but its rare in the gaming industry that companies "Listen" to their player base, infact it only happens with indie developers. You think EA or Ubisoft give a shit that there are a group of players doesn't like a feature?

And Also I don't understand people view on the whole "I spend hours building a village and then it gets destroyed what a waste of time" situation, Its a game, the point of it is to waste your time, most people get bored of after a week or two does that make it a waste of time? That argument is invalid.

And Jason has every right to make this game the way HE wants it, it's not our game, it's his. I am thankful that he made it in the first place let alone dealing with players that want to make it a different game from what he envisions even if that means losing half the player base, the people who remain will be the people who share his vision.

At the end of the day, it takes a couple of few lives to reach the end of the tech tree, and have a nice looking primitive town built up, One day it will take weeks to reach the end. servers would die if there wasn't a reset button its boring just spawning in to an already built server, imagine the only thing left to do in the game is to farm because you already have all the tools, houses, clothes etc, even setting up new towns feels less like an achievement. imagine a world reset where you are the first people to start farming or the first people to make tools the rush of being the best village is amazing, let alone being the village that can last generations because of the advanced technology. 

No, the point of the game is not for me to waste time. It's for people to have fun, and in this kind of games, people have fun by building something, and having a sense of accomplishment in having done so. If what you say is true, feel free to start the game, craft one item, exit the game, start the game, craft one item, ad infinitum. Should be a fun waste of time for you uh?

Also, hadn't realized EA and Ubisot were examples in the videogame community of anything besides bad practices. See what happened with SimCity and Cities Skylines? Does anyone still play SimCity? Yeah...

And no, actually it's also OUR game, since we actually paid for a supposedly finished game. It's ok to add content to a finished game. It's not ok to change the original idea that made you buy the game.

#9 2018-04-06 21:12:21

Laddy

Ha, he can do whatever he wants to his game. It's his game. The apocalypse makes sense but itsb to easy at this point

#10 2018-04-06 21:37:29

Lily

Honestly, there just isn't enough up front content in the game at this point. The advancement from a wanderer, to farming, to tools isn't that impressive. If we were going through to say the modern age from a random eve over the course of a week, we would get a feeling of accomplishment, even if the world then blew up at the end of the week.

#11 2018-04-06 22:35:41

Whoopie

starplayer wrote:

Hi starplayer, this way of thinking, I think, is dangerous.

I think we should try to not treat ideas and other people as commodity.

"So what do you think, the main problem in One Hour One Life?"
"Probably, this."

#12 2018-04-06 23:03:48

Shallotte

Tarkolis wrote:

Jason explained it in the news post:

jasonrohrer wrote:

Not griefers, exactly.

I feel like the game kinda stagnates once people reach the upper levels of tech.  Obviously, there's nothing left to "do" at that point.

I'm going to be adding content to the game every week, but for the foreseeable future, people will be able to catch up to me before the end of the week.

It's impossible for me to make content that will take you MORE than a week to play through if I only spend a week making it.  In fact, so far, it has taken people a few hours to play through the content that I spend a week making.

The idea is that there will be an apocalypse trigger in the upper reaches of the tech tree.  But it will move and change each week, going further up as the tech moves further up.

And, when people get really bored of high-level tech, they can trigger it and start over again.  But every week, it gets harder and harder to trigger as it moves further up the tech tree.

Eventually, when I'm done adding tech to the game in 2 years, the apocalypse trigger would be a nuclear bomb or something like that.  And it will hopefully take people a full week or more to get to that point in tech.

After all, this IS a game about what it's like to build civilization from scratch, if we had to.

Over the past 2+ weeks, people hadn't really been doing that anymore, as civilization had become established.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on this and adjusting it along the way.

Source: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=939

Thing is, I don't really agree with Jason here.

I don't think civilization had progressed far enough to it's full potential yet, and as a player; I didn't feel like(nor anyone else I think)the gameplay had stagnated at all. Only people that respawned and died over and over to get to specific villages felt that way(and they deserved it). We still hadn't even gotten to the point where more than a couple villages were inter-connected. And we still have a huge issue where most villages and family trees don't last longer than 5 or so generations on average. And most people still didn't have any clothes.

Now bigger societies aren't going to happen. Because the apocalypse just means that both griefing is far easier and more destructive now; and society isn't going to have a chance to evolve past individual villages and camps... when a far better idea would have been to make easy to make items like bows and baskets decay(I don't think buildings and floors should though) after a few days real life time has gone by; to relieve stress on the servers.

I was excited these days about logging in and building more roads to connect more villages. I was seeing some great progression with how much roadways helped. Now if I log in it's going to be all gone; and it's very disappointing and demotivating. hmm

I know adding a reset button was going to be necessary eventually; but I was only okay with it thinking it would happen when we hit a modern society stage. Adding the apocolypse was just an easier way to get rid of excess items on the server instead of programming them to decay or to stack into one item. I'm not very okay with it.

Last edited by Shallotte (2018-04-06 23:21:43)

Professional 3D Animator

#13 2018-04-06 23:09:29

shoukanjuu

starplayer wrote:

And no, actually it's also OUR game, since we actually paid for a supposedly finished game. It's ok to add content to a finished game. It's not ok to change the original idea that made you buy the game.

Wrong. It's Jason's game, and he's going to make it what he wants it to be. If you don't like that, ask for a refund.

#14 2018-04-06 23:11:33

starplayer

I might do just that, as this was not the game I bought

Whoopie wrote:
starplayer wrote:

Hi starplayer, this way of thinking, I think, is dangerous.

I think we should try to not treat ideas and other people as commodity.

Actually it's how real society works. If you promise a service to a client, you own them said service. You don't promise to deliver a sculpture, and deliver a painting. "The artist changed his mind and decided that a sculpture would be better". Ok. I wanted and paid for a sculpture though, not a painting.

Breaking promises and business ontracts is not ok, however people frame what happened here.

Last edited by starplayer (2018-04-06 23:15:21)

#15 2018-04-06 23:15:14

Shallotte

shoukanjuu wrote:
starplayer wrote:

Wrong. It's Jason's game, and he's going to make it what he wants it to be. If you don't like that, ask for a refund.

It's Jason's game but like all developers he's not immune to breaking his game to the point that people quit. I don't quit games easily like some do, but considering what has occurred I don't blame anyone for being angry.

Professional 3D Animator

#16 2018-04-06 23:16:21

starplayer

Shallotte wrote:
shoukanjuu wrote:
starplayer wrote:

It's Jason's game but like all developers he's not immune to breaking his game to the point that people quit. I don't quit games easily like some do, but considering what has occurred I don't blame anyone for being angry.

You see, apparently it would be ok if next time you logged in the game would be a pacman clone, because it's Jason game and it would fit his vision, and if you don't like it ask for a refund.

Last edited by starplayer (2018-04-06 23:17:01)

#17 2018-04-06 23:16:48

shoukanjuu

starplayer wrote:

Breaking promises and business ontracts is not ok, however people frame what happened here.

You are absurd. Seriously, you are being ridiculous.

#18 2018-04-06 23:18:16

shoukanjuu

Shallotte wrote:

considering what has occurred I don't blame anyone for being angry

What, specifically, do you think anyone would be justifiably "angry" at Jason about?

#19 2018-04-06 23:24:52

Shallotte

shoukanjuu wrote:
Shallotte wrote:

What, specifically, do you think anyone would be justifiably "angry" at Jason about?

I don't get what 'specifically' your deal is. You are mad at people for giving criticism for a game (that they love btw) when it's really none of your business. If you like the new feature- fine. But if people feel that newly added feature is broken, then they have a right to say they don't like it. You can send angry fanboy comments my way all day but it won't change my opinion nor anyone elses.

Last edited by Shallotte (2018-04-06 23:31:37)

Professional 3D Animator

#20 2018-04-06 23:28:24

TrustyWay

shoukanjuu wrote:
starplayer wrote:

His purpose is to live off game sales. So he can do anything he wants but still people buy the game for the long continuity of their actions, not to speed run the end (?) of a game where there isn't supposed to have one.

He thought that the game was blocked but no, it still was in evolution, we went to carrots to grooseberries. We starting to have connection with villages with horses. The main thing stopping us was the greifing, we couldn't learn well with them as we never had the possibility to keep berryfields. Now we need more contents. The wipe was a good thing, people know what to do and things would go smoother. But as apocalypse can be spamed, it will be spamed. Such as berry digging....

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-06 23:35:03)

#21 2018-04-06 23:31:37

shoukanjuu

Shallotte wrote:
shoukanjuu wrote:
Shallotte wrote:

I don't get what 'specifically' your deal is. You are mad at people for giving criticism for a game (that they love btw) when it's really none of your business. If you like the new feature- fine. But if people feel that newly added feature is broken, then they have a right to say they don't like it. You can send angry comments my way all day but it won't change my opinion nor anyone elses.

I'm not the angry one, here. ;D

#22 2018-04-06 23:32:31

Shallotte

shoukanjuu wrote:
Shallotte wrote:
shoukanjuu wrote:

I don't get what 'specifically' your deal is. You are mad at people for giving criticism for a game (that they love btw) when it's really none of your business. If you like the new feature- fine. But if people feel that newly added feature is broken, then they have a right to say they don't like it. You can send angry comments my way all day but it won't change my opinion nor anyone elses.

I'm not angry. I was just giving a statement. But judging from your above comments you certainly are and laughably a liar too ;D

Last edited by Shallotte (2018-04-06 23:33:14)

Professional 3D Animator

#23 2018-04-06 23:36:54

Rebel

starplayer wrote:

No, the point of the game is not for me to waste time. It's for people to have fun, and in this kind of games, people have fun by building something, and having a sense of accomplishment in having done so. If what you say is true, feel free to start the game, craft one item, exit the game, start the game, craft one item, ad infinitum. Should be a fun waste of time for you uh?

Also, hadn't realized EA and Ubisot were examples in the videogame community of anything besides bad practices. See what happened with SimCity and Cities Skylines? Does anyone still play SimCity? Yeah...

Lol your arguments are invalid and prove my points
1. EA and ubisoft don't include its playing base in its development process, yet they make millions. guess they are doing it wrong too like Jason
2. Referencing an old game not having sales does not support your argument for user input. I guess the original CoD was a bad game cause no one plays that anymore...
3. It's Jason's game not OUR game at all, if he changes it and we don't like it tough luck, deal with it or leave.
4. "craft one item, leave the game" lol, that is literally what the game is about. Playing video games is a waste of time, yeah its fun, still a waste of time. we are not achieving anything by playing video games, the sooner you realize this the better.

I will note that this update will hopefully get rid of people like you and enforce the player base that actually understands what this game is about.

#24 2018-04-06 23:37:54

shoukanjuu

Shallotte wrote:
shoukanjuu wrote:
Shallotte wrote:

I'm not angry. I was just giving a statement. But judging from your above comments you certainly are and laughably a liar too ;D

I don't have anything to be angry about. Right now, when I try to play the game, I have map-loading problems 2 out of 3 times (where I starve before the map finishes loading), and when I do manage to get in, there seem to be some other glitches, as well (desert texture not loading, etc.). So I shrug and wait for the next update, and move on to do something else. And then I read this forum, and people are howling and carrying on as if they're in preschool, and someone just broke all of their crayons in half. I really don't get it. This is a game with a 2-year planned development time, and it's going to go through a LOT of changes, and some of those will be broken and need to be fixed, and some will get changed to balance with later developments, and so on. Anyone who wants an experience that is complete and not going to change from week-to-week should come back in a couple of years or so…

#25 2018-04-06 23:39:01

Rebel

vilka wrote:
Rebel wrote:

The Apocalypse caused you to have to start over but you could have done that any time you wanted if you were bored with repetitive stuff. Nothing was stopping you from venturing out to make a new town.

yeah playing on a world that has been destroyed by noobs picking all the milkweed killing all the rabbits and geese, the world was screwed even if you walked for half your life.

Board footer