One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-01 19:02:36

sammoh

Carrot Farm vs. Berry Orchard

Raised several generations of children over the past 24 hours at a particular carrot farm, you can identify it by it's one adobe wall. It can support many people if you plan ahead and dedicate yourself to food production there. Using one or two plots for seed, you can help future generations flourish.

Please do not empty ponds to build berry orchards. Use them to grow carrots. There is another settlement to the south, which did not use food wisely. There is another settlement even further south, which has a fenced garden but has been thoroughly looted. You can navigate to the northernmost settlement, the carrot farm, using either of the other two abandoned settlements.

I left 8 baskets full of carrots for an enterprising Eve who finds this carrot farm, or her multitude of useless children. Please teach your kids to farm. It is senseless to build berry orchards, and does nothing but waste resources because they cannot support large families.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#2 2018-03-01 19:17:11

sinoth

Re: Carrot Farm vs. Berry Orchard

Do you have reasoning behind berry orchards not supporting large families? Berries regrow over time, do they not?

One water to yield something like six carrots vs one water to make a bush. How is the bush worse? I'm not arguing for the bush but I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not sure farming can ever make sense given how water currently works. Running completely out of water feels so awkward. Does this planet not have rain, aquifers, and groundwater?

Humans lived near water sources to enable farming and further society. It would be nice if we had some sort of large lake or river to pull water from.

Maybe it would make the game too easy. I know Jason wants it to remain a struggle. Wells may help the situation but I'm not sure how they would work given the constraints of the item system. Even if wells ran out of water, what would stop a village from making many wells unrealistically placed side by side to further their farming?

#3 2018-03-01 19:29:25

brianj

Water is refilled by groundwater-- so long as you don't drain the pond dry, in which case it never refills.

#4 2018-03-01 19:30:45

sinoth

brianj wrote:

Water is refilled by groundwater-- so long as you don't drain the pond dry, in which case it never refills.

What is the logic behind this? I understand wanting to punish players for being greedy but does it have any real life counterpart? I'm pretty sure empty ponds refill.

#5 2018-03-01 20:06:42

katastic

Yeah, I don't see the game progressing at the moment because everything is too punishing. People either don't know, or don't care, and picket the last of everything.

If people couldn't have Minecraft servers without griefers intentionally destroying everything (necessitating passwords and permissions), then how is a game with mechanics as cruel as this, supposed to leave infancy?

#6 2018-03-01 20:13:07

brianj

sinoth wrote:
brianj wrote:

What is the logic behind this? I understand wanting to punish players for being greedy but does it have any real life counterpart? I'm pretty sure empty ponds refill.

Aquifers can indeed be drained by humans. It happens all the time in reality.

This boils down to the design philosophy of the game.  See: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

I don't disagree that the carrot/milkweed/pond/animal exhaustion feels tuned to be too punishing currently. It would be nice if there were some mechanisms for renewal. I find it frustrating that someone guilty only of ignorance can damage a region so badly as a naked eve with limited tools.

#7 2018-03-02 05:17:14

yvanhooe

I see the game progressing. People learn.

Far less berry orchards now than in the first day. Better seeds management too. The meta is progressing that's encouraging!

#8 2018-03-03 03:06:22

Laura

Hey guys!
Question: i watered the carrot dry earth ... but WHERE are the seeds?
I found ONE carrot seed in the grass and plant it, water it and grow a lot of carrots.
But where i can find the seeds or how do i make them?

#9 2018-03-03 03:11:08

Norgg

Laura wrote:

WHERE are the seeds?

Leave carrots to grow for long enough and they'll flower and you can then pick them for seeds instead. Keeping a carrot farm going means everyone in the settlement needs to know which plots are being left to go to flower and not picking those.

#10 2018-03-03 03:13:04

Norgg

sinoth wrote:

Do you have reasoning behind berry orchards not supporting large families?

The problem with berry orchards long-term is that they'll inevitably go dry and fertile soil is a non-renewable resource, so carrot farms can be revived down the line, but berry orchards just leave a lot of tinder.

#11 2018-03-03 03:26:07

Laura

Norgg wrote:
Laura wrote:

WHERE are the seeds?

Leave carrots to grow for long enough and they'll flower and you can then pick them for seeds instead. Keeping a carrot farm going means everyone in the settlement needs to know which plots are being left to go to flower and not picking those.

Understand, thank you!
The same with the Berry seeds? I want to grow more berry trees too!

#12 2018-03-03 03:55:50

yvanhooe

berry trees dry up and need to be replenished with water. The problem with these is (I believe) that they provide food with a much slower rhythm and that if you don't water a dry bush it will eventually die and you will have wasted a piece of soil, and need a shovel if you want to reclaim the spot.

The berry seeds you get by using a flint on a berry.

#13 2018-03-03 04:55:07

Laura

We Need more Food and water places ... sometimes i spawn and there is noooothing

#14 2018-03-03 06:35:44

Varler

There should be the ability to make wells or at least have other ways for water to regenerate.  Like, rain or rivers that refill the groundwater levels or something.

#15 2018-03-03 10:20:35

Twinsen

Varler wrote:

There should be the ability to make wells or at least have other ways for water to regenerate.  Like, rain or rivers that refill the groundwater levels or something.

He probably planned for that
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=63

But once again, these are also exhaustible. People are playing this like Don't Stave where you only live for ~10 hours just to get to final boss, which is wrong because such strategy in Don't Stave is not sustainable.

As for now, players just need to be taught about the game mechanic where you don't...

kill animals if there is no young one beside it
empty pond water (~4 times) until it refill
domesticate berry bush as it consume that fertile soil and if that berry bush dried up and died, your precious fertile soil is gone with it

Board footer