One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-06 14:32:09

Ilka

Why is that sucking?

I played 3 lives today (actually one to old age). Each time I was killed by griefers playing to hunt players. This is already unbearable!

I will list the minuses of the last update:

- The city was boring, right? So now we are all playing in cities (which often resemble a chicken coop). Lack of space, the same boring duties.
- Repairing fences is probably the most boring duty, and finally, someone will let grief in through the gate.
- It's impossible to play real Eve (only after upgrading). I liked playing in the Eve camp ... Now Eve will either join the city or die because of lack of milkweeds and iron.
- Some generally available things are now very difficult to find (try to find carrot seeds). Finding the various things needed for the camp was so pleasant, once. Who liked to come back with a cart full of ropes or iron understands.
- The best clothing in the game (seal fur) is not available because seals are gone. So players look like cavemen and usually wear mouflon or sheep skins.
- Griefing ... those who specialize in killing can do it with impunity. They simply ride the map and kill random people without consequences. A dozen people in each life.
- Paranoia - everyone is so afraid of grieferów that ordinary players are murdered for the shadow of suspicion. Sometimes over a dozen people are killed in this way even without griefers.
- I no longer feel attached to my family - in the constant chaos of murders I do not know who is right and who is not.

Update plus:

- It's easy to find equipment now.
- If you don't know where your family's town is (because someone killed your mother) you can find it easily.
- Some players trying to play normally (endangered genre).

I do not see more pluses. This game is now a playground for a handful of assholes.

Ahh... and some griefers are probably doing something weird with the game code. Who else saw them teleporting or moving unnaturally quickly?

#2 2019-08-06 15:04:42

JonySky
Website

Re: Why is that sucking?

Ilka wrote:

Ahh... and some griefers are probably doing something weird with the game code. Who else saw them teleporting or moving unnaturally quickly?

Welcome!
Many people have noticed this ...
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7484

#3 2019-08-06 15:56:14

Hans

hmm yeah the game is reaching a dystopian state. I wonder if Jason will intervene or not, after all he announced that he's on vacation.

Part of the problem is that the rift makes systematic griefing so much easier, since you can find weapons just lying around everywhere and everybody knows where the towns are.

Compare the current state to the situation months ago when villages were still wildly separated and griefers were limited to harming only the place they were born into. In contrast to this you can now just /die a few times - get born as an eve wander the map a bit to find the required sword and go on an entertaining killing spree with all players on the server within your reach and no one can even curse you.

I am not sure how to fix this, but my suggestion would be to limit the amount of families based on server population and then to only spawn eves once the number of players has exceeded a certain number (I am pretty sure we already had this once so it shouldn't be difficult). This would make forcing eve status impossible and thus remove the killer eves from the game. This would also make families last much longer while avoiding the problem we had when the eve window was completely closed with just one family taking over the entire rift.

I believe larger, longer lasting families would somewhat reduce the griefing problem. For one thing you could curse a larger portion of the server population, thus making the only moderation tool more effective. Also it would make peace treaties and language learning meaningful, since there is little point in making a treaty with a family if it will be dead in a generation.

The caveat to all of this is that OHOL might die despite all efforts, simply because the basic premise is unworkable. This case is made by RedComb here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=7563&p=2
and I'm afraid he might be right.

#4 2019-08-06 16:14:05

ollj

it would not surprise me if faster ping results in faster movement speed on a straight line.

if i hunt someone with war sword, and i have better shooes, i move slower.
someone else just hunted me wioth a war sword, was much faster than me, and killed me with a sword at a distance of 4 tiles.

its a torture sim full of hacks.

Last edited by ollj (2019-08-06 16:15:03)

#5 2019-08-06 16:50:47

Lotus

yeah, it was nice having the option of being a city-dweller or roughing it as a gen2 kid. playing in cities every life is getting mundane.

#6 2019-08-06 19:26:31

Ilka

JonySky wrote:

Welcome!
Many people have noticed this ...
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7484

So Jason didn't seem to care?

Hans wrote:

hmm yeah the game is reaching a dystopian state. I wonder if Jason will intervene or not, after all he announced that he's on vacation.

{.....)

The caveat to all of this is that OHOL might die despite all efforts, simply because the basic premise is unworkable. This case is made by RedComb here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=7563&p=2
and I'm afraid he might be right.

Jason invents poor mechanics (magic fences) and then forces players to use it although they don't want to.

The best solution would be to throw away swords, but then players will not build fences with stickes.

I'm for player IDs.

But most people will not agree.

ollj wrote:

it would not surprise me if faster ping results in faster movement speed on a straight line.

if i hunt someone with war sword, and i have better shooes, i move slower.
someone else just hunted me wioth a war sword, was much faster than me, and killed me with a sword at a distance of 4 tiles.

its a torture sim full of hacks.

I saw it too.

In addition, I growled at the grief and ran to him, and he disappeared.

It seemed a bit like switching places with another person.

Ok, I'm not a good killer, but I checked who I was attacking.

In the meantime I killed someone else and a grief appeared out of nowhere and killed me.

It was very strange.

Lotus wrote:

yeah, it was nice having the option of being a city-dweller or roughing it as a gen2 kid. playing in cities every life is getting mundane.

Exactly. My favorite place to play is in an early camp.

Now it is boring and you can not do anything important.

Because either everything is already there or there is no raw material.

The only thing that remains is assault and murder.

Disgusting.

Board footer