One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-05 23:33:14

Mushroom

Sad

it's 2 am where I am right now. I'm sitting alone and drunk.

Wasn't playing a long time, dunno if anyone even remembers me, but this doesn't matter.
I've been around since the beggining of the game and watched it evolve. I have never felt so... connected to the game before.

However, I stopped playing, then I stopped lurking on the forums and today I decided to check if there is any new stuff.

From what I can see here, on the forums, not much has changed. This makes me sad. This makes me sad because now I can clearly see why this game will fail eventually.
Jason wants to solve the many problems that OHOL has, but he's unable to. He is unable to do that, beacuse if he wanted to solve the major issues - he would have to delete the game entirely and shut down the servers. The players are the problem. The ones who decided to spend their hours and hours of free time to just fuck with other players.

This makes me sad not because I'm upset with people messing up with other people. It has always been a thing, not only in games, but irl too. This makes me sad because they grew in numbers so much, that the game seems unplayable in the long term. And it was a fun game. It was a game about helping each other. Now I can see that it was a naive child's dream.

Well, that is a pity. Hope some of you guys are still having fun.

Take care.

Dickbutt

#2 2019-08-06 03:25:02

Tempted

Re: Sad

I kind of agree on it being a lot of the players at fault. I read another post on here earlier that brought up the lack of good communication between players (minus discord, but it's not in game) and the problem of having anonymity for every player. Maybe those things would help some? If there was better, or at the least, a faster, more efficient way to communicate, and a way to identify potential griefers before they have destroyed a town, maybe it would be less irritating, and you would still get the 'drama', just not at the high levels currently taking place. There are plenty of issues, but those things I see pop up quite a bit more than most.
I bought my son this game early this year, and have played a few times, and watched plenty of Twisteds videos, but finally bought my own account. I have tried to play in the rift on mine and my sons accounts several times in the last few days, and needless to say, it has not been the most enjoyable experience. Most of my lives I either starved as a baby, got murdered with the rest of the town, or ended up with very impatient players that had no time for a newbie. So I went back to the tutorial area and I have not left. I don't feel like I can effectively play on the rift currently. I have played on my sons account before the rift, and it seemed much more pleasant, even with the challenges that existed before. I don't think the rift is a bad idea. I don't think war swords, and war, and griefing are bad things. I think being overwhelmed with all of these things on a constant basis is not fun at all though.
The game needs some tweaking it seems like. I hope it gets it. And I hope it doesn't take too long. I hope I didn't waste 20 on a game I don't enjoy. I will keep my faith for now though. (Evidently, if I just purchased another account lol) I see a lot of opportunity for great things, and I hope that will be the case.

#3 2019-08-06 04:12:45

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I completely agree. The griefers are pushing me away from the game. There's nothing anyone can do about them. They just spawn as Eves, come in, wipe a town out and loot it.

We can't stop them. They travel in groups, and it's far easier to grief than to fix. Putting us all close together has made it 500000x worse and the fun I once had with the game is dead. I can't play and build, I have to fight. I always have to fight. I don't want to fight anymore. I just want to build a town.

It really breaks my heart. I really loved this game, I played it so much. It sucks to say the griefers are winning, but they are. I can't keep fighting.

Last edited by DiscardedSlinky (2019-08-06 04:31:52)

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#4 2019-08-06 19:39:39

WalrusesConquer

I don't understand the mindset of some. They find the game boring? Fine. Don't play. There's an update you don't like? Fine. Don't go on a killing spree, it just ruins the game for everyone else. At the end of the day, the game wI'll die because of us not because of mechanics

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#5 2019-08-06 20:59:24

DestinyCall

I find myself in the same boat as the OP.   I was deeply enthusiastic about this game and the ideas it embodied when I first found it.   I fell in love the quirky world of OHOL and its unique community.   Then, I watched as update after update picked away at the fragile balance between peaceful villagers and violent griefers.   Until eventually I couldn't ignore that my vision of what OHOL could be was never going to match the reality of the game.

Personally, I don't think full blame lies with the players.   Give people war swords and they will make war.  Jason himself feeds the cycle of chaos and hopes to harness it for his own purposes.   But I don't think he understands the mindset of his own players well enough to manipulate them to do what he wants.  Whenever he tries, the results are unpredictable at best ... and at worst, they are all too obvious and terrible even before the changes are implemented.   Ultimately, I see the level of in-game violence going up and the level of emotional attachment and sense of community slowly fading away into bittersweet memories.  It has stopped being a game where people come together to form a community and try to work toward a common goal before old age catches up to you.  It is pretty hard to feel any unitity of purpose when anyone you meet might be just another griefer, preparing to ruin your life's work in a few moments of destructive "fun" with zero consequences.   This game has a serious identity crisis.  I can't decide if it is suppose to be a griefer's paradise and I was playing it wrong the whole time.  Or if it is suppose to be something better than that, but the current build falls short of the mark.   Either way, it is painful and frustrating to play as a peaceful villager right now.

I wish it was otherwise, but I don't feel very hopeful.   Every time I check back on the state of the game, I'm greeted by more threads describing the horrors of war and random griefing.  It makes me want to play this game again about as much as I want to stick my hand into a blender. 

Maybe it will be better this time?   Maybe it won't hurt that much?  Probably not.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-08-06 21:29:57)

#6 2019-08-06 21:32:38

Grim_Arbiter

DestinyCall wrote:

I wish it was otherwise, but I don't feel very hopeful.   Every time I check back on the state of the game, I'm greeted by more threads describing the horrors of war and random griefing.  It makes me want to play this game again about as much as I want to stick my hand into a blender. 

Maybe it will be better this time?   Maybe it won't hurt that much?  Probably not.

See theres your problem. The threads and discord have been negative for months. I personally don't want to play after reading it either, but guess what I do, and that negativity doesn't follow me in game.

Ive enjoyed every life I've played since the rift. The angry people here can't take that away from me, but they sure as hell try.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-08-06 21:34:05)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-08-10 12:28:43

TerraSleet

Yeah I saw this coming too... Very sad. Came back after a long break from this game due to the community and griefing issues, to come back to... this.

This is what happens when you take an extremely toxic anthrophobe who spent all his free time griefing, breaking the game and cheating (not to mention making hateful posts about Jason on Discord) and make him a MODERATOR instead of banning him. Yes, I'm talking about Joriom. I have no idea what Jason saw in that guy, he is pure toxicity. People like him poison the entire well if given the opportunity, and it looks to me like him and his friends did just that. The steam reviews speak loudly enough, as do the forums. You messed up, Jason.

Unfortunate... hopefully Jason and fans fix up the community and fix the game, but I don't see that happening. I hope more so that a new game takes on this niche genre. Not the Rust-like genre that the game is now, it's been done and overdone. I'm talking about the long-term multiplayer civ building type of game that Jason originally created. Games like ECO come close but are still lacking IMO. As for this game, I'm done with it.

Last edited by TerraSleet (2019-08-10 12:33:43)

#8 2019-08-10 13:50:15

Tea

I once had so much fun playing. Once. I never cared about the griefers until the Grand Arc Update. I played four live in the same area and couldn't enjoy them because of the lack of recourses. Iron, Oil, and Juniper trees. Someone ran around with an ax and cut down all the juniper trees, making fire a difficult task. Then you have a lack of iron. If you find some in a village that hasn't been looted yet, the doors are blocked with Newcomen Engine Towers. Some oil sources are surrounded and blocked by an unstable belltower base. It's just a matter of time until the next family will perish. And then an Eve will spawn into this looted and destroyed area ...

Why do people enjoy destroying the fun of others?

When I started playing this game, people actually tried working together, getting higher on the techtree. But now, more and more people try to prevent others from getting the needed recourses, trying to establish a relationship with the other family and having a different and peaceful life. The game is taking a different turn, it's not the game I once bought and enjoyed so much. I will still be around, playing on the empty servers and building some little towns. But I won't be playing with others anymore. It's just not fun.

There are so many things that I wish to see in this game, like fathers (yes, I still have hope. Thought that a marriage could be between two families), poop buckets, tamed horses that are actually tamed and not run away, Horses with tired carts, automatic farming, more usage for eggs (cakes), tomatoes, chili and onions. Different materials to build houses, not only stone walls (bricks ?). The updates that we had were not bad (except the Rift one) but I have the feeling that those are not the updates that the game needs or the players really want.

It just makes me sad to see what this game had become.

The one and only Eve Kelderman

Board footer