One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-03 06:33:55

Saolin

Current combat system is too griefer-friendly

If you want to kill someone they're pretty much dead.

I didn't mind the old "click-fest"  I never tried to kill anyone while that was the combat system, but the few times someone tried to kill me, I evaded it 100% of the time I believe.

If the combat system is going to remain completely simplistic (first click wins), I believe probability-based attacks would discourage griefing, forcing a griefer to show their hand with the risk of doing no damage, exposing them to a counter-attack or allowing the would-be victim to potentially escape.  Something like bows 50-67% accuracy, knives 67-75% accuracy, and swords remain 100% accurate.  Could be used to help balance bows, and force griefers to pick their spots.  Only problem is knife accuracy might have minimal impact due to ease of re-clicking.  Not sure if there would be enough time to allow for an escape and a would-be counter-attacker to ready themselves.  Bows would be substantially less effective in PvP though, and in my experience the most frequent random kills are a result of crossing paths with someone holding a bow.  In general the idea is to add a deterrent to griefers striking.  If accuracy was only moderate someone would think twice about risking their only arrow if it has a chance of failure, and exposing their intention if others are present.

#2 2019-08-03 08:02:39

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Current combat system is too griefer-friendly

Saolin wrote:

If you want to kill someone they're pretty much dead.

I didn't mind the old "click-fest"  I never tried to kill anyone while that was the combat system, but the few times someone tried to kill me, I evaded it 100% of the time I believe.

If the combat system is going to remain completely simplistic (first click wins), I believe probability-based attacks would discourage griefing, forcing a griefer to show their hand with the risk of doing no damage, exposing them to a counter-attack or allowing the would-be victim to potentially escape.  Something like bows 50-67% accuracy, knives 67-75% accuracy, and swords remain 100% accurate.  Could be used to help balance bows, and force griefers to pick their spots.  Only problem is knife accuracy might have minimal impact due to ease of re-clicking.  Not sure if there would be enough time to allow for an escape and a would-be counter-attacker to ready themselves.  Bows would be substantially less effective in PvP though, and in my experience the most frequent random kills are a result of crossing paths with someone holding a bow.  In general the idea is to add a deterrent to griefers striking.  If accuracy was only moderate someone would think twice about risking their only arrow if it has a chance of failure, and exposing their intention if others are present.

Kinda related

He added a change today where you can't go into attack mode unless 8 tiles away, so you have to be relatively close to your target now. No more getting clicked on from across the map.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

Board footer