One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-03 05:29:04

bunny

Too Many Resets

Whats the point of establishing anything if the server keeps restarting every day?

God...I thought the update alone was bad, now the game is all around pointless.

#2 2019-08-03 05:57:51

miskas

Re: Too Many Resets

The point is to build safer and sustainable towns where your people would be able to withstand scarcity, resource misuse, and murderers.

Its is a tribe survival game now, try to win it.

Last edited by miskas (2019-08-03 06:02:35)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#3 2019-08-03 09:22:36

Grim_Arbiter

I was trying to debate ya on the discord about it, but it's definitely better to discuss here.

I worded it wrong in the discord

The map hasn't always gotten wiped with every update, and there have been towns that made it through the update. This happened because the spot that had the longest lineage would be remembered and an eve is placed there when the server comes back online.

What's happening now is an apocalypse wipe because were going over the family limit. It was a thing he had to tweak until he had the data to see what to set it at.

We shouldn't see a wipe everyday or every other day now.

In terms of everything being pointless..

So at one time I felt the same way.

There was a city I fell in love with when I first started playing this game. It's still my favorite to this day, but for the sentimental reasons. This was back before we were even all on the same server, and the city even went through an update that killed off most established towns at that time (first newcomen update).

I was sure that that city was the top of the limit in terms of what a city could be and I would never see a better one. I was convinced that because of the time and effort put into it, there was no way any town would beat it..

But if you placed me in that city right now with the same tech and same game conditions as then, I would hate it. Even the corner town I played in, and left a note at yesterday, blows that town out of the water when put in perspective.

My point is that I don't think time and effort  put in should be without some sort of opposition and a chance to fail. While it shouldn't be impossible to make something last (the current gripe you are taking about, that i get and understand) it SHOULD be impossible to make something truly permanent.

There used to be a server called "one city server" it's basic premise was that everyone spawns in one spot and builds a city around the spot. It was fun building the massive city together and even building houses for ourselves, but once everything was built we kinda ran out of stuff to do.. Other than testing new content and battling in the arena. The map never reset and we never had any challenge really.

It was basically a no worries server and in turn didnt bring too much excitement. While i had fun there, it was easy to burn out on. The one time I felt any sort of challenge or peaked interest was a time someone griefed my house by destroying it and leaving a note that said "siezed by the D.E.A." because I was growing milkweed and shrooms.

TLDR

Permanence is boring, and while a city on the edge of forever sounds nice, it's actually boring and pointless as hell.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-08-03 15:39:34

jasonrohrer
Administrator

There was no wipe with the update yesterday.

However, you got 23+ families (bad times) about 7 hours before the update, so there was an apocalypse.  But this was after 44+ hours.

During update, the same "place Eves at the last big civ" code is working now as before.

The reality is that nothing lasted more than 44 hours before the arc was added.

So what you have now is MORE permanency than ever before.  A whole civ that you can visit in its entirety, that has been going for 44 hours and maintained by dozens of families over time?  A cohesive world that just keeps going that long?  You've never had that in the game before.

And the power to keep it going is in YOUR HANDS.  Make sustainable towns.  Don't waste resources.  Make good spots on the map for future Eves to bootstrap.

How can you last more than 44 hours this time?  I know it's possible.  There's enough oil on the map for something like 15 days of 100-person survival.

If you don't want the map to wipe, don't let it wipe!  That's the challenge.  How long can you go without the map wiping?

And there has never been a game before that tasks 1000+ strangers with such a collective challenge.  It really is a new and exciting thing, and gets much closer to the vision shown in the trailer than ever before.

"Rebuilding civilization together."  And actually making something together that could last!

Before, it was a bunch of isolated villages in the wilderness that rose/fell over about 15 hours each.  There was no feeling of permanent civilization.  You couldn't get to know your way around, or recognize landmarks.  Now you can.

What we have now is not perfect.  It's getting better slowly, as I tweak it.  But it's already WAY better than what we ever had before.  Don't tell me you were satisfied with an isolated village in the wilderness that was lost in 15 hours.  I know you weren't.  You all told me you weren't satisfied over and over.  "There's no long-term meaning.  There's no permanence."

Well, now there IS long-term meaning and permanence.  All the more meaningful because you have a chance to save it or lose it.

Board footer