One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-01 04:24:29

Villas

Are discord "pro players" triggering the auto-apocalopolis?

An apocalypse just happened 2~3 hours after the reset, I was playing as an Eve, only had 3 children and the apocalypse triggered starving all of us,
There were a lot of resources and I could easily feed my children, since we had a small farm going.
I'm not sure but I thought the condition to trigger the apocalypse was "six helpless children per mother", I didn't had more than three kids, so it wasn't my fault. But in last life, I was born in a fenced village where people were starving the babies who weren't connected to their discord, It was near the edges, so their friends as Eves could easily find them and get access to the gate, they starved a ton of babies because they were pro players playing together where no noob can disturb them. Could it be the reason for the apocalopolis?
If so, the shot backfired, because they themselves destroyed hours of work palying in party mode.

Last edited by Villas (2019-08-01 04:25:46)

#2 2019-08-01 04:52:56

Grim_Arbiter

Re: Are discord "pro players" triggering the auto-apocalopolis?

Oh.. seems to be this..

15 family limit (after Eve window closes of 2 hours, and new Eves keep spawning in spiral forever) is in place now.  After 2 hours, if we ever get > 15 families, game resets.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2019-08-01 05:06:28

Psykout

My 2 cents - since we are more contained and you can leave as a kid and see the whole "world" and come back home, executing the apocalypse is a little easier. It feels more pointless now since its inevitable anyways, but when it was conceived it was a challenge because of the time constraints and how we spread out. Competing against an ever growing spiral made it near impossible after the first round of changes. Now that's its within grasp damn near solo, I am not surprised some continue to try to make it happen. I'd rather people try and scheme ways to be successful at it then randomly kill inner family. At least it's a goal you have to work at it? That's pretty heavy handed devil's advocate though

#4 2019-08-01 05:10:57

Grim_Arbiter

Psykout wrote:

My 2 cents - since we are more contained and you can leave as a kid and see the whole "world" and come back home, executing the apocalypse is a little easier. It feels more pointless now since its inevitable anyways, but when it was conceived it was a challenge because of the time constraints and how we spread out. Competing against an ever growing spiral made it near impossible after the first round of changes. Now that's its within grasp damn near solo, I am not surprised some continue to try to make it happen. I'd rather people try and scheme ways to be successful at it then randomly kill inner family. At least it's a goal you have to work at it? That's pretty heavy handed devil's advocate though

Still takes a full 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure he fixed the apocalypse marker glitch so everyone would have a marker to it.

Were not supposed to have that many families, thats why it reset.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-08-01 05:17:16

Psykout

Grim_Arbiter wrote:
Psykout wrote:

Still takes a full 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure he fixed the apocalypse marker glitch so everyone would have a marker to it.

Were not supposed to have that many families, thats why it reset.

When I explored earlier just to see map changes I was a little surprised at how many dead towns I found. Maybe lessen the even window but give a warning that the rift is closing in X hours. I personally like playing right after a reset but there isn't a great way to know it's coming. Although if we got flash that "The end  is neigh" and there was only 2hours left in the rift everyone would just start culling each other which is debatably bad or good. If I knew when it was about to reset I might, just might, try to be apart of the new founding.

#6 2019-08-01 05:23:49

Grim_Arbiter

Psykout wrote:

When I explored earlier just to see map changes I was a little surprised at how many dead towns I found. Maybe lessen the even window but give a warning that the rift is closing in X hours. I personally like playing right after a reset but there isn't a great way to know it's coming. Although if we got flash that "The end  is neigh" and there was only 2hours left in the rift everyone would just start culling each other which is debatably bad or good. If I knew when it was about to reset I might, just might, try to be apart of the new founding.

Yeah, if that were the case, some kind of chime and family number where the home marker is would be good.

Even changing the numbers a bit might solve it more fluidly though. Like no more than 8 families after 4 hours.

--Grim

#7 2019-08-01 06:01:19

Psykout

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Yeah, if that were the case, some kind of chime and family number where the home marker is would be good.

Even changing the numbers a bit might solve it more fluidly though. Like no more than 8 families after 4 hours.

The eve window is currently 2hours if I am correct. If there are too many families created during this time then the obvious choice is to make a smaller window. The other side of the coin is that players that are not great at starter camps are spawning during this time without knowing that is what is going on, which is why I ponder some some sort of notification. This was the case many updates ago, most lived their time in bigger towns, and few knew how to bootstrap a new settlement. Previously, those that did not like or knew they weren't good at starter camps /died out, which is why I never really cared about /die babies. Anytime one of my kids danced around a fire until three, and then burst into action as soon as they could hold a basket ~ I knew they were down for what needed to be done. The ones that hunkered down near the blooming berry bushes and paced back and forth, they just had no idea what needs to be done.

When you were knowledgeable about the game, you knew that all camps start the same, and the steps were rather graved into stone. A blessing and a curse really. It had the element of being stale, but also made you appreciate those that knew the steps. Plant the farm while someone makes the first rounds of bowls and started making the axe and shovel. Bootstrap the extra rabbit meat into pies or skewer them, while you wait for the berries to bloom, maybe mix in some omelettes in to buy some time. As soon as or right before the berries can bloom start getting sheep done, leaving an extra goose for the file to make the first cart. It wasn't really subjective - it was written into stone. The biggest flex was if you should make a chisel early to scrap into a mining pick to make a bell base pen rather than adobe. To some that was a stale saltine - to others we still appreciated the salt involved. Considering how often we have to start anew, both have their place yet again, but its happenstance if you get that roll or not, which I am slightly on the edge about. Sure I miss building weird bakeries that beauty was in the eye of the beholder, and it seems like there is better things to do since few carry the masses, but it's still there. Actually given the smaller area and the potency of family mixing that were are seeing now (not until these recent updates have I ever run into a "distant relative" that I understood completely) if we were to meta communicate and band together, there is a lot of potential.

#8 2019-08-01 14:41:51

Shaivi Baine

I like how this guy wants to blame discord for the wipe when it was actually greedy players like him who died till they got an Eve. They wanted their own lineage and couldnt help a current family. Thus creating the problem too many families. The pros on discord were well aware of the wipe conditions and lived as one family and lived to old age to help the baby adult ratio.

#9 2019-08-01 17:14:32

Villas

Shaivi Baine wrote:

I like how this guy wants to blame discord for the wipe when it was actually greedy players like him who died till they got an Eve. They wanted their own lineage and couldnt help a current family. Thus creating the problem too many families. The pros on discord were well aware of the wipe conditions and lived as one family and lived to old age to help the baby adult ratio.

Actually, it’s not true.
First of all, greedy players are those who wants only their friends to live in their place. Playing in party mode, starving all babies they get and killing all wandered in their gates. Because only their lineage can survive and go trough, they spawn as en Eve and go to the gate to get access and always choose the specific name, because they want that name to thrive. In my opinion, it is greed.
Nothing wrong with playing in party mode, but why don’t you use a private server?

Second, I dind’t killed myself. My first live, I was a boy in a small camp near the southern rift. I was 12~14 when I woman (with back pack, seal coat and furr pants) shot my mother Eve, the only fertile. We kept working, but my little brother was trying to make a bow to kill her, she saw and killed him. I didn’t want to live anymore, I just stole his arrow and ran until I starved. Then, I was born inside that discord village, and no one fed me. I didn’t SID because if I will lose my gene points, they will lose it as well. Then I was born to a shot Eve, there was another Eve with bow and a devious face in front of her, I just /die and born in discord village again, but my mother was an brand new Eve, black skin, it was when I realized they were playing in party mode, she didn’t feed me, I ran to check the place and there were fences and gates, small farm and two bow and arrows, but starved. Then I was born in the middle of the wild, my mother was running, I followed her and there she was, the woman who killed my first mother Eve, she was hunting Eves, I checked family tree and she didn’t feed any of her kids. Alas, I was born in the discord village again, different mother, this time was a ginger young girl, she fed me, but my grandmother asked “the code”, I didn’t know it and just said “F”, then she told my mom to don’t feed me, I stayed at the fire to be alive longer and I saw another Eve near the gate, she made “Hmpf” and “Yoohoo” and then my grand mother opened the gate and gaver her access, I think that was “the code”, in the meantime more babies were being born and starving or /die, some seconds before I die, I saw and shot Eve coming from south, she gave access to someone to the northern gate and died. Perhaps some angry murdered baby decided to revenge? If so, the party mode pro players were generating more Eves who didn’t  feed their babies because they wanted revenge.
There were at least three different Eves inside, three different skin tones and all of them starving kids, myself included. At last, I was born as an Eve, found an abandoned small camp, settled there, there were some bowls ready already, so I could easily start a farm, had some kids, thankfully all of them stayed, we were doing great ‘till the apocalypse happens and we were teleported to the middle of a bad land, my 10 years old girl didn’t understand anything, she couldn’t stop asking “what?” until she starved, I ran with my baby, alas there were no food around and I starved.

I won’t be surprised if my gene score reaches 0.

#10 2019-08-01 19:35:19

ollj

bears are pretty overpowered early on and later on, the times when finiung food is hardest, they have a lot of influence, till towns have 4 arrows and enough food toi be more bear-immune.
one reset by few remaining fertiles was speedUp/caused by 2 players luring many bears to 2 capital cities, later chatted about it on discord.

Board footer