One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-06 18:39:05

NyanRose

Better Apocalypse Idea

So, thankfully it's turned off but as was proven in the 4 apocalypse that happened before it was disabled, it's too easy and anti climactic. I think having the threat there isn't a bad idea, but there are some ways to make it more interesting.

1. Server side
So when an apocalypse happens on one server, it should only affect that server.

2. Not be able to be done by one person
A wall requires 3 people working on perfect timing to take down. An apocalypse could happen with just one. Just let that sink in...

3. More interesting
So the way it is, obviously it was meant to be easy to just let it happen. But what if it was more interesting than that? Maybe each map has one volcano. And this volcano gives signs it's going to erupt, and if that happens then that world gets restarted. However, maybe there are things you can do to keep it at bay such as various sacrifices and rituals, building expensive monuments that can keep it from erupting. However it needs to be up kept so if it goes say, 3 or 4 days without anyone tending to it, then the sky goes red...maybe fires start, something to let you know the end is nigh. That would give more incentive for people to keep generations in the volcano village going, and pass on how to keep the great volcano gods happy. If they fail, the world starts over.

As people get more advanced, maybe they find out better ways to manage it, and the volcano becomes less of a threat then new threats like nukes can become the worry.

It makes the idea more fun and interesting than just an excuse to wipe the map. Just an idea. I know this would take more time to code and implement, and the current method is easier and got the job done. I am not adverse to the idea, but it felt very sudden and too easy. The death of civilization should be more eventful! At least in my eyes

#2 2018-04-06 18:49:25

starplayer

Re: Better Apocalypse Idea

Apocalypses shouldn't even exist, it doesn't make any sense in any sense of the word. People won't manage anything, there will always be a group of people that will destroy everything. I hadn't realized this game was supposed to morph into doomsday clock simulator when I bought it.

What appals me is all the people that never wanted server wipes, but since it's a feature God Jason added, it's now good, and something that was needed. Same people that voted for Hitler I suppose (someone had to bring in Hitler for the conversation, Edit: apparently not so obvious joke...).

Last edited by starplayer (2018-04-06 18:59:49)

#3 2018-04-06 18:51:56

Gare22

Honestly, everything you've said should be implemented. I understand that the first time is happened was simply to cleanse the servers, but now it needs to be harder so we don't feel like we're wasting our time building civs that will just be wiped out by a single person pressing a magic button (essentially).

Having the apocalypse be for each individual server would allow people to be prepared to STOP people from triggering the apocalypse if they were not ready for it to happen, and also it would give some players that goal of deliberately triggering the apocalypse. I am imagining even tribes that do not want the apocalypse to happen building settlements around the monoliths to protect against people from triggering it, while other tribes that want it triggered attempt to break in and trigger it. It gives a point to PVP in my opinion.

I actually love your volcano and sacrifice idea, but we do not want the decision of a server cleansing to be in anyone's hands, either way. We don't want one person able to decide the world should reset, but we  also don't want just one person being able to decide that the world should not be reset. There should be some sort of middle-ground, which, I trust Jason will eventually find.

#4 2018-04-06 18:54:31

Alf

starplayer wrote:

Apocalypses shouldn't even exist, it doesn't make any sense in any sense of the word. People won't manage anything, there will always be a group of people that will destroy everything. I hadn't realized this game was supposed to morph into doomsday clock simulator when I bought it.

What appals me is all the people that never wanted server wipes, but since it's a feature God Jason added, it's now good, and something that was needed. Same people that voted for Hitler I suppose (someone had to bring in Hitler for the conversation).

Please do not bring Hitler into the discussion.

#5 2018-04-06 18:54:43

Gare22

starplayer wrote:

What appals me is all the people that never wanted server wipes, but since it's a feature God Jason added, it's now good, and something that was needed. Same people that voted for Hitler I suppose (someone had to bring in Hitler for the conversation).

Relating this to Hitler is atrocious. Are you really that salty about it? tongue

Jason will figure it out, and, ultimately, you've gotta remember, Jason's the artist of the game, not you. I trust he will make it work out and still be fun to play.

Last edited by Gare22 (2018-04-06 19:06:53)

#6 2018-04-06 18:58:08

NyanRose

....are you seriously relating him to Hitler? Come on man I am jewish and that's not cool. I wish people would stop relating anything or anyone they don't like to Hitler and the Nazis >.>

I get why he did this. A big thing is that there have been massive changes with new biomes, and people want access to the new stuff. So it allowed a nice little restart. The game is still in an early access state so it's bound to have massive changes. There needs to be a balance, and that is tricky to get just right.

#7 2018-04-06 19:01:26

starplayer

Good to know people still can't understand a joke when they see one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

#8 2018-04-06 19:02:29

Verinon1

He was relating the people that supported the in game apocalypse to people supporting Hitler. NOT relating Jason to Hitler. Calm down, people.

#9 2018-04-06 19:12:52

starplayer

Verinon1 wrote:

He was relating the people that supported the in game apocalypse to people supporting Hitler. NOT relating Jason to Hitler. Calm down, people.

Plus, it was obviously a joke.

Board footer