One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 11:16:55

Tarr
Banned

Lets talk arc meta.

Well if we're in this for the long run lets discuss what ideally should occur in each different part of the arc and how we can make this a little easier on everyone else.

Part one: The Eve Arc

At the start (or before the start of the arc) the first thing players who are serious about playing should be doing is taking a look at the map of the Hell Cell to plan where they'll be heading to try to set up. I had specifically for the run decided to go to the grassland in the SW corner near the badlands and deserts but this was a high risk - high reward play on my part which didn't end up paying off. While the Eve window is open I actually don't think players should be keeping kids at all since everyone can just spawn as an Eve and what not. Obviously a few children need to live to prevent the auto-apocalypse from happening but someone out there is bound to have a heart and will raise a few.

Instead players in this phase should be focusing on securing a plot of land via fences and a simple lock system that requires a tool to get through with the simplest being a one way door set up with an adobe oven base/wall as means to lock the outside of your fenced area. Proceed to basically play solo OHOL up until you feel like you're ready to accept children into your home (requires some food grown and potentially tools.) At this point we should hopefully have a few stable families which can support players a little longer and we'll see some actual growth on the map.

https://onemap.wondible.com/
NKRqkYx.png

Part two: The Highlander Arc

This arc is the struggle of each family striving to survive in a world that cannot handle so many players. This arc begins once the Eve window has finally shut and now the baby bombs start going off. Optimally, I believe this is played best by just trying to end all the other lineages ASAP if possible. Why? This removes the function of war swords (one of the most op weapons) while also allowing players to finally have a working curse system in place. Unfortunately, this plays into the drama Jason loves but it's probably for the good of everyone to essentially genocide all the other lineages. If not going the genocide route this arc potentially plays out for about four hours until we finally start losing lineages one by one as the constant influx of babies kill off all the weaker towns on the server.

Again I believe this is an arc where you just don't keep babies or you only keep babies when your fertility is basically nearly up. Either someone else around the server will raise them or they'll run out of lives trying to get into a town which is neither your concern nor problem. I'm starting to get a feeling that the best way to play the game is basically just don't raise children at all right now.

Part three: The Enders Arc

This is the arc I believe we're in right this moment. We're currently in the death throes of the server as players are currently trying to do whatever they can to keep the one lineage floating in a world full of griefed resources. My last life I seen a grand total of four maple trees with three of them being griefed within my lifetime. Players will slowly bleed out resources in this stage without escaping the Hell Cell for resources which can only be retrieved via escaping to the tutorial for goods that are no longer abundant within. At the very least the curse system actually works at this point in the game and war swords are no longer needed but at what cost?

You aren't going to believe this but I still don't think you raise babies unless you're nearly infertile. All it takes is one woman keeping all the children in a village for things to start crumbling, especially if these people don't work very much in their lifetime.

Basically just don't raise kids is what I've gotten from my time playing within the different periods of the game as someone else will (over)do it anyways.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-27 11:24:08)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-07-27 12:04:36

arkajalka

Re: Lets talk arc meta.

XD This meta...

Fence hoard everything, dont raise babies, kill every other lineage...

This is exactly what i HATE in this game.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#3 2019-07-27 12:21:47

Booklat1

Rush shears, plant trees, survive on wellwater
Scavenge cacti and berries, spam rabbits. This is, assuming we get a reset and curses get fixed.

I'm sure this meta is about to change in the next few days but we need changes that absolutely make early and endgame more viable now, like trees being harder to grief (not being able to chop down trees with their branches helps)

#4 2019-07-27 13:41:48

D3mon1cblack

is it still possible to fly to tut? if so why dont we make a plane and send women out to the tut to setup there?

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#5 2019-07-27 13:45:14

Tarr
Banned

D3mon1cblack wrote:

is it still possible to fly to tut? if so why dont we make a plane and send women out to the tut to setup there?

We can but if people aren't born within the cell then the auto-apocalypse triggers. This means some amount of players have to exist within the Hell Cell while the rest of the population could specifically live outside it. However, this means most of the population has to die inside to exist outside which increases the chance of the server collapsing in on itself.

So yes, it's a valid tactic to try to ignore the cell but it potentially just resets everything at that point.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-07-27 13:54:27

Potjeh

I think the main problem with surviving in this new update is that there's too many people for the resources available in the hell cell. So obviously the new meta should be not spawning on any server that has more than ~20 people.

#7 2019-07-27 16:18:17

Spoonwood

So, if I understand what you've said correctly, the game now effectively discourages parenting in almost all cases.

A multi-player game of 'parenting and civilization building' where you best bet lies in playing like a so-called 'parent' that child protective services would get on like it was yesterday, and where civilization building isn't at all likely to happen.  You also suggested that you don't raise children until tools, which sure does seem like killing off the multiplayer aspect, other than genocide.  And that's genocide WITHOUT cultural assimilation, which makes colonialism sound better.  Oh, and survival comes as kind of messed up, since it's not a game of trying to survive if you're dead, because no mom would feed you.

That sounds like every core concept of the game wrecked by this so-called 'update'.

Is this when the term "dumpster fire" of a so-called 'update' actually makes sense?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-07-27 18:48:39

ollj

its a random mess and a torture sim.

terms such as "update" and "dumpster fire" are an insult to all the qualities of a dumpster fire.
"hell cell" also insults hell, because even the most delusional religions with a hell in them reserve hell for people thry dislike for something, and not just for random torture.

D3mon1cblack wrote:

no absoplurely not.
theres neither oil nor diesel engines anwhere for 2 days in the torture prison.
jason "patched" leaving hell cell by maing everyone infertile outside of it.
as if that would be a deterrent. no, its just not worth trying to leave.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-27 18:52:09)

#9 2019-07-27 20:31:28

D3mon1cblack

ollj wrote:

no absoplurely not.
theres neither oil nor diesel engines anwhere for 2 days in the torture prison.
jason "patched" leaving hell cell by maing everyone infertile outside of it.
as if that would be a deterrent. no, its just not worth trying to leave.

i know about oil not being a thing atm but a man can dream right?
also it turns you infertile outside of the bubble? wow there goes my dream crashing into a million pieces -.-

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#10 2019-07-28 07:38:52

Dodge

Meta imo is:

Make horsecarts
Kill snakes
Make roads, especially to rabbits

And if we survive this long, make houses and eat cooked rabbits until the end of days.

Horsecarts cant die except by snake but then you can get them back with a rope
If all the snakes are dead horsecarts stay forever

And rabbits give infinite food and clothes, combined with the insulation from houses you can survive a long time, also collecting wild berries in a bowl and cactus fruits.

#11 2019-07-28 08:58:45

arkajalka

Meta is:
-Cut all maples
-Make ton of bows and arrows, knife and swords
-Cut all tinder too
-Kill every sheep/mouflon
-Turn every stone into a sharpie
-Despawn iron
-Hijack bellows
-Cut open every flint around and spread and sharp
-Open every bear cave
-Pick axe kiln/oven and every non ancient wall/ adobe walls and roads
-Adze floor boards
-Cut down all wheat and make baskets of them
-Dig every stone and make  stone blocks
-If theres still maples up then block every doorway with newcomen tower(then cut all maples)
-Spam berries on every one to cut their yum chain or just drop em to ground and flint(also withers berries and clutters for brieff moment)

akid1
akid2
akid3
-"All your bases are belong to us -xXpu55ys14y3rXx"

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-28 09:01:09)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

Board footer