One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 05:28:21

denriguez

Making meaning

Here's the thing, y'all: when you bought OHOL, you didn't buy a finished, polished product, but a ticket to participate in an innovative experiment in multiplayer gaming. Yes, things are mega fucked up at the moment. Hilariously so. But this too shall pass, and the game will be better for it.

I don't have nearly as much playtime as some of the pros here, nor would I even consider myself a pro, but I've been around since nearly the beginning. There have been other updates that caused similar uproar (you would've thought the Apocalypse Update was bringing the actual apocalypse). I can tell you that although not every update was popular, every single update has moved the game forward and made it a more interesting experience. This one will, too.

Big content updates were always fun to explore, but folks would quickly master the new content and demand more, more, more. More tech. More skin tones. More biomes. And I'm glad we got those things. But I'm more glad that Jason's emphasis has shifted from advancing the tech tree to making the experience more interesting and more meaningful. That's what truly separates this game from so many others. Jason could have probably pumped out content update after content update and had us building atomic powered robots by now, but honestly, what extra meaning would such advanced content bring to the game that isn't already there? I'd argue none.

We're not playing for points, or competing to be the best or the most efficient. We're basically running an exaggerated ancestor sim and making tweaks just to see what happens. Through these tweaks, we have the unique opportunity to better understand how our base instincts affect (for better or for worse) how we interact with each other in-game. I don't know about you, but I think that's really fucking interesting.

If you think the game has become so much more difficult or exploitable as to become unplayable, know that those things will be fixed through small tweaks by Jason or by the playerbase adjusting. But when those things get fixed and the playerbase stabilizes, I think we're going to have a far more interesting game to enjoy together.

Yours, curmudgeonly,
Denriguez

#2 2019-07-27 05:58:18

Dodge

Re: Making meaning

Amen!

Board footer