One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-27 03:31:56

Morti

So where did we, the players, go wrong?

What should we do to live in this?
h4b7rn8.jpg

What should we do in the future, to avoid it?

What have we learned about cooperation?

What have we learned about the game?

I'll tell you what I learned this life:

kWzMgpi.jpg

Don't try running 500 meters juggling 5 kids, to look for what might have been the last milkweed plant on the map, only to load your backpack up with milkweed seeds and then try juggling 12 kids on your way home, to keep them all alive.

What was more important?

The milkweed seeds or your lives?

After I got back home only to realize I'd taken too long; the seeds had decayed in my pack, I went out with a bowl, thinking if I could just reach the plant, before it decayed, I might be able to get some seeds. That journey out and back, I completely neglected to pick up a single kid... it was awful, and then, when I finally found the spot the plant was in, it too had decayed, and only the stalk remained. I then ran home, defeated, shedding kids, like skin cells, across the land, my conscience outside of my head; removed from me, in disgust.

What had I just done?

What, what did it matter?

What did I do wrong?

Mom, I made the shovel. I found a maple tree, and if, fate would have been more kind to me, I'd have planted cuttings that life, after I used the shovel to dig the well to the northwest you asked your children to dig.

That feeling alone, filled me with great pride.

Pride that ruined me, before I even realized it, as I set out for milkweed seeds...

#2 2019-07-27 03:41:26

Morti

Re: So where did we, the players, go wrong?

19.07.26.22.15 40.6 118th
19.07.26.23.36 11.8 924th

I deserve that. I'm sorry children.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5039711

Lot of dead leaves on this tree.
May their rustle, haunt my dreams.

#3 2019-07-27 04:29:28

AmberA

I lived in that town a few lives. Or I should say I died in that town a few lives. The initial issue with many towns I'm seeing (besides very limited supplies) is that too many babies were feed. The few "towns" can't support the huge numbers of people wanting to play the game all as children.

The women must cull the herd and choose to let most of their kids die to have any chance at feeding the working adults.

If you have 10 berry bushes in town, the town cannot feed 4 babies when they grow. So it's better to keep 1 that is male and knowledgeable (they tend to be a workhorse) and maybe after ten minutes then allow 1 girl to not starve. Can't keep the first girls because then they will have babies too soon and again their kids will eat up the berries.

I say this because the toddlers eat a TON of berries so sorry but if the family and town to have any chance currently, you have to let more babies starve before they can walk and eat up the limited food.

God I feel like a monster writing that.  sad

Last edited by AmberA (2019-07-27 04:30:28)

#4 2019-07-27 05:55:54

NotAnotherBird

Do you think that if there were no griefers, and if everyone was working and playing with the common objective of making a successful society, there would be enough resources on the limited map to be able to live and grow without adopting a “kill 70% of the babies” approach?  I can’t tell.

If the successful strategy for the limited map is to sacrifice a percentage of the children for the overall success of the tribe, then I’m not going to be able to play the game. Such a game is just not fun to me. There’s enough horror and suffering in the real world. I don’t want to be sad about having to let my first daughters starve so the overall group can survive. I know it’s all pretend, but apparently my imagination is powerful enough for that concept to bother me. As recent events have shown, I’m not alone in letting this game get under my skin.

Once the game stabilizes, I hope we find a livable strategy. I’ve been thinking it might be necessary to play in pairs with one person functioning as a security guard/protector, dedicating life to managing property fences and looking for suspicious behavior (and subsequently dealing with it). The other half of the player pair could focus on typical society building. This would require out-of-game collaboration to work. And this is surely not how I play now. But if these bad actors are going to be in our faces, I don’t know how else to protect progress except for having some proportion of the group dedicate their lives to oversight.

#5 2019-07-27 07:44:45

Morti

AmberA wrote:

God I feel like a monster writing that.  sad

As you should https://youtu.be/yGHZbp23gIk?t=237
(You can stop that after she speaks, she says it again though, at 7:02 https://youtu.be/yGHZbp23gIk?t=422)

Though, we may be, at times, the worst creatures on this planet, we are also the greatest to ever come of it, as we are the ones capable of taking the best of Earth, from here, to countless world. Without us, it is unlikely that any species on this planet would have ever achieved the level of mobility, that we, and our machines, are capable of affording it.

With us, so much is yet possible.

Just as here, in One Life, so much is yet possible. Not because of content added to the game, but to our character.

Edit: fixed second URL

Last edited by Morti (2019-07-27 09:10:09)

#6 2019-07-27 08:38:35

Morti

NotAnotherBird wrote:

Do you think that if ... everyone was working and playing with the common objective of making a successful society, there would be enough resources on the limited map to be able to live and grow ...

to it's capacity, yes.

I'm sure someone smarter than me could tell you how many wild berries and cacti would be required at mostly near campfire temperatures.

How many fires we could maintain given the number of trees.

How much water and soil we'd be allowed to spice all that up; give us a little wiggle room.

We could probably get so good we could keep 1,000 people living around the clock, to full lives, from update to update.

I don't think it'd be too hard to do that, I mean, it's what I'm always trying to do anyway.

I think stability is what the majority of us strive for.

But even if we get to the point where 100 people all live full lives, every hour of every day, I'm fairly certain new variables will be added to challenge that stability. The trick here is not adapting to changes Jason makes, but to adopting behavior of the sort of community we strive to be.

As long as there are players who want more than others, there are going to be conflicts. I really don't see this, ever, being a trade based game, or a game that allows royal families to emerge and accumulate wealth. The resets, the decay, the apocalypses, there are just too many things to allow for anything like wealth to accumulate and become meaningful, which I am absolutely fine with.

I feel the lesson here has always been that we need to value each other, more than anything else.
It always has been, it always will be.

When moms started seeing kids as a burden, and then coming on forums and discussing it as if it was a strategy, a lot of people who felt they weren't valued in those lives, went on to devalue others in future lives. It's a similar problem with kids who give up on the mothers they've been born to. Neither of those two things account for what we see in real life, with a population on this planet of nearly 8 billion people and climbing, also, something I am absolutely fine with. People are the greatest things in the universe, we should make accommodations for as many of them as all the matter and energy we can muster, will allow.

So, just as in life, if we are going to have so many people doing so many things, we're going to need the layers below them, required to support them. This game is a very simplified version of life, where every resource could potentially be boiled down to pips of the food meter, over time. But there are, of course, other factors, such as the feeling of belonging, feeling needed and feeling responsible, for each other's ability to survive and enjoy their experience.

I know this is the case.
So does Jason.
So do most human beings.

#7 2019-07-27 10:37:14

Ilka

Your mother had 49 siblings.

What???

And you 26 children ....

Even in times of steam apocalypse, no one had so many children.

What's going on?

With such fertility, even a well-organized city would have a problem with food.

Such a small camp without water had no chance.

No matter what the players do,it's simply impossible.

So, in addition to the lack of resources, there is still a huge number of children being born (and dying).

I wonder if it would be possible to survive by the very best experienced players in this camp?

I do not think so.

Last edited by Ilka (2019-07-27 10:37:56)

#8 2019-07-27 11:13:22

Morti

Toured the map making wells in my last life.

QndB5cx.jpg

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5042717

Probably one of the most peaceful past times.

#9 2019-07-27 11:18:04

ollj

Morti, not your fault, but completely the fault of griefer god jason.

donkey town is a paradise now.
no children to juggle (you can give birth to other donkey towners, but birth rate is very low)
plenty of resources for anything.
you can easily walk a 5k distance without hunger.

#10 2019-07-27 11:20:36

Tarr
Banned

ollj wrote:

Morti, not your fault, but completely the fault of griefer god jason.

donkey town is a paradise now.
no children to juggle (you can give birth to other donkey towners, but birth rate is very low)
plenty of resources for anything.
you can easily walk a 5k distance without hunger.

Donkey town is within the Hell Cell until the fix later today as once the Eve window closed ALL players get redirected inside the walls. I get that you're trying to torment Morti and change his mind but straight lying to the man isn't going to work nor will you suggesting that the lack of struggle is paradise.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-07-27 11:22:51

Potjeh

You pressed the "Login" button.

#12 2019-07-27 11:27:29

RodneyC86

Potjeh wrote:

With infanticide becoming the new meta, this is surprisingly right. I don't think this is sustainable. New players who just bought the game will the most appalled if they find they are repeatedly murdered or starved as a child repeatedly.

Anyone has statistics on age of death since the Hell Cell update?

#13 2019-07-27 11:31:46

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

With infanticide becoming the new meta, this is surprisingly right. I don't think this is sustainable. New players who just bought the game will the most appalled if they find they are repeatedly murdered or starved as a child repeatedly.

Yeah I got you.

Stats for 7/26/19

Total deaths: 7974

Deaths by hunger: 4681
SIDS:2286
Murder: 494
Old age: 513

Deaths not counting SIDS: 5688

Murder rate: 8.7%

Stats for 7/25/19

Total deaths: 6641

Deaths by hunger: 2837
SIDS: 1878
Murder: 180
Old age: 787

Deaths not counting SIDS: 3804

Murder rate: 4.7%

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-27 11:35:12)

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2019-07-27 11:34:44

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Potjeh wrote:

Yeah I got you.

Stats for 7/26/19

Oh wow murder rate is actually the same as pre cell update??? Wasn't it like 9 percent before?

This game enviro sucks now but definitely an interesting social experiment

#15 2019-07-27 11:40:22

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:
Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Yeah I got you.

Stats for 7/26/19

Oh wow murder rate is actually the same as pre cell update??? Wasn't it like 9 percent before?

This game enviro sucks now but definitely an interesting social experiment

The murder rate is about the same as when raiders were specifically grouping up using wondibles map to go around culling the towns. Most of these murders were likely just bows and arrows/knives instead of what was occurring during the last time I ran statistics where the murderers were fighting with swords which very quickly culled a large group.

I would honestly say the murder rate is worse if these are mostly knife/bow kills vs sword kills which kill large groups in one swoop vs a bunch of small group kills with knife/bow.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer