One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 07:59:14

Morti

Too easy now

Change it back till we learn our lesson.

I had a massive farm and nearly made a cart when it was 500x500
1000x1000 and I don't see anyone my whole life, but my mother and a brother, both of which were panicking for no reason.
Lived to 60, made every iron tool, and didn't see any strangers to share them with my entire life.

Change it back.

#2 2019-07-26 08:04:43

MultiLife

Re: Too easy now

Was a lot of people online anymore? Maybe people stopped playing.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-07-26 08:10:03

RodneyC86

Morti wrote:

1000x1000 and I don't see anyone my whole life, but my mother and a brother, both of which were panicking for no reason.
Lived to 60, made every iron tool, and didn't see any strangers to share them with my entire life.

Change it back.

Calm down Morti, maybe Multi is right, everyone lost their lives or their will to live by the time you made your farm.

#4 2019-07-26 08:22:39

Twisted

Morti wrote:

Change it back.

I think you played on the backup server while bigserver was down for the update, so you didn't see that many people. I logged in almost immediately after bigserver came back online and I only died now, ~20 minutes after your post. It was packed, over a dozen families only a short walk away.

#5 2019-07-26 08:35:09

Tarr
Banned

Just because you played on one of the off servers during the peak doesn't mean the 500x500 was okay at all. Between the rampant griefing, and food running out the center was pretty much unlivable to such a degree the auto-apocalypse would have potentially went off.

It was so bad that the server population HALVED itself from people running out of lives (partially due to harsh conditions and Jason upping the life token respawn time before the update.)

1000x1000 is much more roomy and isn't a bunch of people standing on each others toes from the looks.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-07-26 10:17:25

ollj

op had bad timing.

#7 2019-07-26 12:26:28

Morti

No I played on the 500x500, long before the berries were staked and the milkweed was used up, I made sets of clothing while people were running around. No one did anything but eat food and run in circles, meanwhile I was getting seals, rabbits and starting farms in the swamps.

You folks just love to complain every time Jason does something, no matter what it is, and you don't even keep your mouths shut long enough to consider why he does it, or, better yet, how we can get through it.

You didn't plan for anything positive, all you talked about, like all you ever fucking talk about, is griefers.
Your go to excuse for all the shit you've done in this game to other players.

"I killed 90 people with sorts because griefers would have done worse."
"Someone called me a bad name, therefore they are a griefer."
This is griefing, that is griefing.
Why don't you people just shut, the fuck up, and play the game.
You have absolutely no fucking clue how good this game would be, if you all, ALL OF YOU, just shut up and played.

Just do the right thing. Just play.
I know exactly where I was, when I was

19.07.25.01.19 44.3 84th
19.07.25.02.21 37.1 292nd
19.07.25.16.08 35.8 399th
19.07.25.17.10 38.2 300th
19.07.25.18.16 37.0 354th
19.07.25.19.52 31.8 551th
19.07.25.10.55 41.3 185th
19.07.25.23.57 17.6 777th
19.07.26.00.15 13.1 850th
19.07.26.02.52 18.7 777th
19.07.26.04.01 18.7 746th
19.07.26.05.03 22.8 684th
19.07.26.06.09 19.4 767th

I've been playing through this whole thing, trying to keep you guys alive.

I didn't panic, I didn't make fucking fences, I didn't try to warp over the rift, although, I was launched over it one life, in the south, and started a home down there, and had half a dozen kids, that were about useless because you guys don't teach people shit in this forum, all you do is whine about fucking griefers, so none one learned anything coming here to see what people are saying about the game, all they know is you're a bunch of butthurt fucking pansies who can't cope with challenges.

Look, stop ruining the game because some 12 year old is playing the way you don't like. You ALL do worse to this community by doing shit like killing people for points, and trying to justify murdering kids calling you names, they're just kids. You're ruining the game for the adults by getting everyone up in arms over every little thing you don't like. YOU are the problem, not the 12 year old that cuts down trees or plays with bears, you, because you can't do anything more productive as a community than complain about it.

You're all so fucking insecure, you can't see the fun anymore. I'm not seeing anything creative from anyone of you on this forum.
It's just fucking moaning, about Jason, and griefers, Jason and griefers, just shut the fuck up already about your problems. Have some good ideas for once, would you?

I know most of you are having a good time playing, or you wouldn't be here, so why aren't you sharing your good times?

And those of you who are, those of you still sharing your stories and good ideas, you are all I have to look forward to in this community. Everyone else that fucking whines and complains about challenges, can just fuck off. Getting people all scared, thinking the 500x500 was going to be a nightmare, planning for the worst, because that's all you think about.

We were all in that together. And we could have done a lot better. I was really looking forward to having another go at it, and seeing how much better we could do the second time around. It was a perfect opportunity for all those people who eat and stand around to learn the value of work, and I think a lot of them did, because come the 1kx1k I saw a lot more of them, bustin their asses to keep the food supply up, and that's exactly what we needed; a challenge. Us vs the elements. Yes, hundreds of wild berry bushes got staked in the 500x500, I saw them just as much as all of you, but I did the most I could with what was left by the end of it.

--

And they weren't all staked by the end of it, there were still several, scattered about...

--

I'm too tired to wrap this up with a more positive message. But I had a lot of fun last night. Especially in the 500x500, but I definitely saw a change in people's playstyles in my 2nd and 3rd lives of the 1k, when I was actually involved with the same town twice in a row, from two different families.

Overall I had a great time. Clubbed a hell of a lot of seals!
And I not only think all of you did some really nice work, when you were actually in the game, but that we could do a lot better. Whether it's 1k, .5 or .2, we will do better, everytime.

--

Sorry for losin my temper; that was rough, but a lot of fun.

Looking forward to it again when I wake up, and so should you.

#8 2019-07-26 15:42:22

schmloo

Morti wrote:

No I played on the 500x500, long before the berries were staked and the milkweed was used up, I made sets of clothing while people were running around. No one did anything but eat food and run in circles, meanwhile I was getting seals, rabbits and starting farms in the swamps.

You folks just love to complain every time Jason does something, no matter what it is, and you don't even keep your mouths shut long enough to consider why he does it, or, better yet, how we can get through it.

You didn't plan for anything positive, all you talked about, like all you ever fucking talk about, is griefers.
Your go to excuse for all the shit you've done in this game to other players.

"I killed 90 people with sorts because griefers would have done worse."
"Someone called me a bad name, therefore they are a griefer."
This is griefing, that is griefing.
Why don't you people just shut, the fuck up, and play the game.
You have absolutely no fucking clue how good this game would be, if you all, ALL OF YOU, just shut up and played.

Just do the right thing. Just play.
I know exactly where I was, when I was

19.07.25.01.19 44.3 84th
19.07.25.02.21 37.1 292nd
19.07.25.16.08 35.8 399th
19.07.25.17.10 38.2 300th
19.07.25.18.16 37.0 354th
19.07.25.19.52 31.8 551th
19.07.25.10.55 41.3 185th
19.07.25.23.57 17.6 777th
19.07.26.00.15 13.1 850th
19.07.26.02.52 18.7 777th
19.07.26.04.01 18.7 746th
19.07.26.05.03 22.8 684th
19.07.26.06.09 19.4 767th

I've been playing through this whole thing, trying to keep you guys alive.

I didn't panic, I didn't make fucking fences, I didn't try to warp over the rift, although, I was launched over it one life, in the south, and started a home down there, and had half a dozen kids, that were about useless because you guys don't teach people shit in this forum, all you do is whine about fucking griefers, so none one learned anything coming here to see what people are saying about the game, all they know is you're a bunch of butthurt fucking pansies who can't cope with challenges.

Look, stop ruining the game because some 12 year old is playing the way you don't like. You ALL do worse to this community by doing shit like killing people for points, and trying to justify murdering kids calling you names, they're just kids. You're ruining the game for the adults by getting everyone up in arms over every little thing you don't like. YOU are the problem, not the 12 year old that cuts down trees or plays with bears, you, because you can't do anything more productive as a community than complain about it.

You're all so fucking insecure, you can't see the fun anymore. I'm not seeing anything creative from anyone of you on this forum.
It's just fucking moaning, about Jason, and griefers, Jason and griefers, just shut the fuck up already about your problems. Have some good ideas for once, would you?

I know most of you are having a good time playing, or you wouldn't be here, so why aren't you sharing your good times?

And those of you who are, those of you still sharing your stories and good ideas, you are all I have to look forward to in this community. Everyone else that fucking whines and complains about challenges, can just fuck off. Getting people all scared, thinking the 500x500 was going to be a nightmare, planning for the worst, because that's all you think about.

We were all in that together. And we could have done a lot better. I was really looking forward to having another go at it, and seeing how much better we could do the second time around. It was a perfect opportunity for all those people who eat and stand around to learn the value of work, and I think a lot of them did, because come the 1kx1k I saw a lot more of them, bustin their asses to keep the food supply up, and that's exactly what we needed; a challenge. Us vs the elements. Yes, hundreds of wild berry bushes got staked in the 500x500, I saw them just as much as all of you, but I did the most I could with what was left by the end of it.

--

And they weren't all staked by the end of it, there were still several, scattered about...

--

I'm too tired to wrap this up with a more positive message. But I had a lot of fun last night. Especially in the 500x500, but I definitely saw a change in people's playstyles in my 2nd and 3rd lives of the 1k, when I was actually involved with the same town twice in a row, from two different families.

Overall I had a great time. Clubbed a hell of a lot of seals!
And I not only think all of you did some really nice work, when you were actually in the game, but that we could do a lot better. Whether it's 1k, .5 or .2, we will do better, everytime.

--

Sorry for losin my temper; that was rough, but a lot of fun.

Looking forward to it again when I wake up, and so should you.

TLDR; It’s the community’s fault for not making the game enjoyable, not the broken mechanics. Before you dismiss me as a “whiner”, please hear me out.

In a perfect scenario where everyone is cooperative and no one gets fun out of ruining other people’s enjoyment, the game would work perfectly. I agree. No griefing, no stabbing, and a relaxed and open attitude towards implementing dangerous features would all be possibilities. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and malicious people will always be around. Preventative measures need to be put into place to combat people who just want to leech off the game’s vulnerability and use it’s broken features for their own personal satisfaction. This is one of the main reasons why “griefers” can’t have an antagonist role in the game.

The 500x500 royal rumble cagematch was an absolute starving, killing and griefing fest. I’m not sure whether you played in the calm before the storm, or the aftermath, but I like many others burnt out their lives extremely quickly.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#9 2019-07-26 20:00:22

Ruben

Morti wrote:

Change it back.

Lol and here I am, no more Lifes to spend, always killed way too early by some monkey coming from the woods. Guess I must've been unlucky.
Griefing lets you live longer tbh.

#10 2019-07-26 20:09:31

Redram

Morti wrote:

I'm not seeing anything creative from anyone of you on this forum.

Oh you hadn't heard?   Almost nobody on these forums has 15 years of game development experience, and if you don't have 15 years of game development experience, you can take your creative ideas and shove 'em.  Only massive bug/mechanic abuse moves Jason.

Nothing going on here is surprising given Jason's hubris.

#11 2019-07-26 20:17:09

PXshadow

Morti wrote:

I spent several weeks researching and writing up an economics paper for OneLife, and the community seems to care more about opposing any and all change versus discussing fruitful ideas, building up a framework for discussion and understanding where the game is etc. So I think perhaps discussion of ideas are unproductive on the forums?

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#12 2019-07-26 20:50:47

Morti

MultiLife wrote:

Was a lot of people online anymore? Maybe people stopped playing.

My first few lives I ran to make clothing immediately, as soon as I hit 3. I made a basket, a snare, got a few rabbits, cooked em around a fire that had probably 20 people from 5 different families at it's peak. Thankfully someone just before me had gotten firebow and hatchet, but our firebow went missing, so I made a new one, kept the fire going gathering branches and making kindling and I returned to hunt more rabbits. Everyone was ignoring the snares (save 1 other person) and just flooding into the prairie to dig up wild carrots.

After dying that first live, I was reborn at the same fire, to another mother, but we all might as well have been one family huddled around that fire, the same fire I'd cooked rabbits on and fed just minutes earlier.

Soon as I hit 3 my second life I ran straight down to the prairie to find my snare, and sure enough it was still there. People hadn't learned yet to use the time the food afforded them, wisely. They were still all running about, nibbling berries, stoning berries, many children were still stuttering around the fire as 4, 5 and 6 year old's, just waiting to pounce on the next basket of bananas that was emptied; meant for the mothers.

I made many needles that second life, I made a few sealskin coats, a back pack and a pair of fur underwear. My warmth taken care of, I turned my attention to farming. Problem though, there were no ponds for several springs to the southwest, south or east; the only directions I'd traveled away from home. But, I settled on a few ponds, on the edge of what I later discovered was a massive, massive swamp. I stacked stones on the springs as I traveled one way, and brought soil, seeds and skewers from the other, back home there were two bowls made, only two bowls, but there were already 20 corpses and a dozen children moving in and out of the fire. I didn't see an adult, and that was the last time I saw that camp, I took a bowl and a needle with the intent to come back and inform people I'd made a farm east, through the prairie, in the swamp.

Luckily there was a grassland peninsula that extended close to the swamp, with some soil, as well as a grassland island of maybe 30 tiles in the swamp. Both the peninsula and the island southeast of it had a few piles of soil, and I moved it 2 loads at a time using the backpack and a basket...

--

Oh my goodness, I want to cry. Thank you so much wondible, for what you have done.
I just looked at the map and I see where I was my first few lives...
https://onemap.wondible.com/#x=-103&y=-37&z=26
RHClo1y.png

K5x5dVp.jpg

--

I was going to respond to more of you in this thread, and say more  about the rest of my time. I could. I could say a lot more.

But reliving all this by soaking up this area on wondible's map... I'm a little speechless.

--

Look, please, just keep helping people. Just keep setting good examples.
That's what new players need to see, that's the inspiration they need, not your griefer witch hunts. Just enjoy working for the good of others. Keep the game about what to work on next; what the best use of your time is and how you can help.
Bring in the seal skins, make the new players wonder where they came from and how they can get them.
Bring in the backpacks of soil and cart around the 4 bowls of food for the sheep, make the iron tools people need. All that.
Just keep doing the good things you want new players to do.
You are teachers, whether you realize it or not.
You are those children's parents.
Think of it this way; you are driving the car with the kids.
They take a nap, you drive for hours, they wake up and ask the infamous question, sincerely, "Are we there yet?"
You, sincerely reply, informing them of your location and how much further you have yet to go.
The child falls back asleep, only to wake up an hour later, and ask again, "Are we there yet?"

How the rest of that plays out, is up to you, as a parent.

Try to keep your cool.

Keep driving down this road, and we'll get to our destination together, I assure you.

Just keep driving.

#13 2019-07-26 21:08:16

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Redram wrote:

Oh you hadn't heard?   Almost nobody on these forums has 15 years of game development experience, and if you don't have 15 years of game development experience, you can take your creative ideas and shove 'em.  Only massive bug/mechanic abuse moves Jason.

Redram, you know you're talking to the greatest living game designer, right?

I now have SIXTEEN years of experience.  That's one more year than I had before.  Imagine a guy with 15 years of experience getting one more year and becoming that much better?  Do you know how much better you become after a year of doing something?

Like, if I juggled for an entire year, I bet I could juggle 30 balls, easy.  Right now, I can only juggle three balls.

How many people in this God-forsaken industry have been making games for even FOURTEEN years?  Not very many, that's how many!

Now imagine those people, and how good they are at designing games.  Now imagine me juggling my balls for two straight years beyond them!

Sheesh, it's like a CONCORDE JET just flew over your little head, Redram, that's how fast I'm flying these days.

You look up, and you just see a white swoosh go by.

But if you look closely (you'll need a telescope), you can see me right up there in the cock pit, with my sweaty palm gripping my control stick.

tTo7anC.jpg

BMh1qAd.jpg

#14 2019-07-26 21:13:28

ollj

concorde jet is great example. its a sunk cost fallacy prime example, that literally went up in flames.

#15 2019-07-26 21:13:54

Tarr
Banned

Lel, I'm glad to see Jason still has a sense of humor after all of this. If anything that was worth all the hassle for a sensible chuckle.

fug it’s Tarr.

#16 2019-07-26 21:33:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

ollj, you're clearly riding in coach, not first class.

When you ride in the Concorde, you can see the curvature of the earth, but that's just because the glass in the windows is so thick.

#17 2019-07-26 21:34:00

Redram

jasonrohrer wrote:

I now have SIXTEEN years of experience.

I take it back; that was quite modest of you to round your years of experience to whole years as they are met, rather than informing us of each month as well along the way.  I look forward to the addition of juggling to the game!  That would be consistent.  Might want to do a fiddle next.

#18 2019-07-26 22:04:47

Morti

To the person in the grassland east of the swamp, in that second hour of the 500x500, the blonde haired woman who kept insisting they needed  the shovel, but who I took it from anyway. Thank you, for your work on the iron, I'm sorry you weren't there when I returned with the shovel. I'm sorry if you thought I was just a thief from another family. I wish you could have seen me not only return the shovel, but come back with a few more iron I was going to give you as thanks for your work.

To the woman who was working on the farm southeast of the forge. I saw you there, spreading the soil and planting the berries, and then a few minutes later when I returned, you were gone. I'm sorry if you didn't get to enjoy the fruits of your labor, but I brought in a few more dozen loads of soil with my backpack and a basket, after I dewormed some of the pits you drew soil from and dug them up with the shovel I'd borrowed. I made a few more 3x3 plots of soil, tilled them and planted most of your first batch of berries before I watered them and passed away by the forge to the northwest.

Thank you so much for your work.
Both of you.

#19 2019-07-26 23:34:51

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:
Redram wrote:

Redram, you know you're talking to the greatest living game designer, right?

You are no such thing and never have been.  You are no Sid Meier.  You are no Tynan Sylvester.  Your game is not as good as Rimworld.  It's not as good as civ I, civ II, or civ III.  It's not better than the original Master of Orion (sure, it was a team, but still a small one). 

jasonrohrer wrote:

I now have SIXTEEN years of experience.  That's one more year than I had before.  Imagine a guy with 15 years of experience getting one more year and becoming that much better?  Do you know how much better you become after a year of doing something?

You are sooo full of nonsense.  Here's a general rule about people best in their field.  Unless, it's competitive where they can claim to be the best at say the 100 meter dash, they NEVER actually claim that they are the best, unless there's some extremely pressing need to do so.  It's too complex usually.  Even if they are the best at one thing, they are well aware that they are not the best at everything in that field.  They also know how long it takes to become extremely proficient at something.  They don't really know if they are that good, because of time investment or natural skill.  There's always this lingering sense of 'maybe I just put in more time on this thing than others and I'm overcompensating for skill deficiency' (I guess that's an 'impostor complex').  Additionally, people who set records in competitive activities often get bested later on.  And well, it's not exactly true, but there's something to the phrase "you are only as good as your last performance'.  And no matter how good OHOL started out, it's not like every performance by you has been superb.  On top of that people who know that they are the best at something know that they learned a lot from others.  It's simply too disrespectful to say that they are the best.  Furthermore, people who are the best at something, arrogance doesn't fit, and unless it's clear who is the best, claiming to be the best is arrogant.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Like, if I juggled for an entire year, I bet I could juggle 30 balls, easy.  Right now, I can only juggle three balls.

How many people in this God-forsaken industry have been making games for even FOURTEEN years?  Not very many, that's how many!

Your statement here is merely an ad hominem argument attempting to discredit the person making a statement that you don't like.  It simply doesn't hold that one needs to have done something for a certain period of time *to recognize* certain things.  If it did, then doing would be perception, and that's complete nonsense.  Action and perception of that something are two entirely different things.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Now imagine those people, and how good they are at designing games.  Now imagine me juggling my balls for two straight years beyond them!

Sheesh, it's like a CONCORDE JET just flew over your little head, Redram, that's how fast I'm flying these days.

Your game is NOT expanding in terms of the number of people playing and hasn't for months.   And even if the numbers of players have increased over some period, it hasn't been all that great of an increase.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You look up, and you just see a white swoosh go by.

But if you look closely (you'll need a telescope), you can see me right up there in the cock pit, with my sweaty palm gripping my control stick.

So, on the 'finite map' concept.  First, that's not a correct term, because the game always had a finite map.  It was just large enough theoretically that it could always accommodate an expanding player base before, correct?  That idea was fine.  This finite map idea?  Logging in as a baby and then dying doesn't qualify as 'playing the game', because it's not playing actively, it's watching passively.  Thus, the finite map concept limits the number of people who can play the game.

Supposing that 'the greatest game' ever can exist, it simply doesn't try to limit the number of people who can meaningfully play the game at one time, other than existing real life limitations and concerns with other things in life.  "The greatest game" ever that lacks popularity, because it's too limited to keep on growing?  It's like saying that Elvis Presley would meaningfully try to limit the number of people who could buy his albums and play his music.  It makes no sense at all.  Good art invites more interaction with the art, not only so much interaction.

Jason, you either don't how things work, or you don't want to make the greatest game ever.

Your game is simply incapable of being 'the greatest game ever', because the finite map concept IMPOSES some sort of limitation on growth in the playerbase.  And undoubtedly, neither you nor anyone knows how the game could grow.

And yes, you certainly need to hear all that, because you just don't get it.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#20 2019-07-26 23:50:44

AmberA

I'm glad you are enjoying the update. I'm not a doom and gloom person and we each can only go off our own experiences.

Up until this update, I LOVED the game. I was playing it 5-8 hours a day. LOVED it! I wrote stories about some of my most pleasant lives on the forums, followed my family trees. Each life was (mostly) an interesting story, time spent teaching newbies, killing griefers, or trying to build something that I hadn't before. Even with the griefers I was happy to keep playing.

Since the latest update, every life I starved mostly because so many eves and their kids were spawning in the same regions, eating up all the local food then dying out so when the next eve spawns there was no food left. So you are left with the choice of support your family or ditch them in the hopes of finding food elsewhere.

Or the life were I was still a baby unable to pick things up when someone from another family shoots my mother with a bow and my brother raised me with the again outcome of us starving due to lack of resources.

Almost every life after that had similar stories of starvation and lack of resources. I was then born into a prospering town, they had floors, pies, you name it. Except iron, I took a cart and went far and wide. I think I roamed for about thirty minutes and found zero iron. That city will not survive.

Even when I tried to do a life as a nomad where I stayed long enough only to make a backpack, my daughter and her kids starved due to lack of resources. So for me, since the update the game has been much harder and a lot less fun. To the point where I'm definitely not going to be playing as often daily due to the lack of fun. Living as a struggling eve family gets tedious fast. The parts of the game that I used to enjoy (learning new things, roleplaying stories, raising a family, teaching newbies) are now all luxuries that get in the way of survival.

If things don't change then I'll be much more tempted to play other instead of this one and recommend those to my friends. I don't want that to happen but it could now. I really am glad that you are enjoying the game but not everyone is since the update.

#21 2019-07-26 23:59:07

Booklat1

Fun fact: i knew spoon's last comment was his because he started a sentence with "no" + wall of text

I'd like to say a few more important things

First: New players don't get to say old players are jinxing it because we have every reason to be careful of features Jason adds. Fences and swords are still mostly harmful features that we adviced him against many times (not only because they were bad, but because we knew fixing them takes time Jason doesn't have)

Secondly: honestly? We should play this new idea out though. Limiting the world is a decent idea. Ohol populations, unlike all populations in nature don't keep growing as long as space and resources are abundant -and thus eventually growing too big for all that. No, our populations are based on player population and unless the game grows big maps just can't function very well. To me the biggest worry is that we'll be stuck in a box for months before this develops into more interesting features. We'll, it also wprries me that smaller maps may also mean bigger biomes are less likely

#22 2019-07-27 00:11:46

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sponwood, how many games did Tyler Sylvester make, though, and how long has he been doing it?

Making one game is one thing.

I made NINTEEN, count 'em yourself, if you don't believe me.  You know, as well as I do, that SHEER QUANTITY rules the roost.  My quantity is staggering.

Spoonwood, I don't even think you're in coach class.  You're down in the baggage area, breathing thin air with exploding lithium batteries that aren't supposed to be checked in baggage.  You're trying to sneak through customs without a ticket.

Because I didn't just make one indy game and steal Prisoner's Architecture graphics in the process, and then write a book about game design after that!

No, I made 19 games without stealing any graphics, and WROTE NO BOOK AT ALL.

If I ever wrote a book, though, I'd give you a preview copy, so that you can provide me with a quote for the back cover:

I was wrong.  Jason Roar is in fact the greatest living game designer.  Wow, he really is the best there is, bar none.

--Spoonwood

(not a real quote----YET!  See what I did there?)

#23 2019-07-27 00:21:37

Carrot-Seedling

Quality, not quantity. 1 good game > 19 wife murder simulators.

But as long as you're happy, go on, Jason. The money's already in your pocket. hmm

Now excuse me while I go save my colony from starvation and art about squids.

Last edited by Carrot-Seedling (2019-07-27 00:24:49)

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#24 2019-07-27 02:54:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Wait, where'd you hear that Carrot-Seedling?  It's QUANTITY, over QUALITY every day of the weak.  The more wife murder the better, I say.  How much wife murder is in Rim Simulator?  NONE.  Some is better than none, right?  That's what I'm saying, QUANTITY.

Also, making a multiplayer game is at least 100x harder than making a single-player game.  Just ask.... well, don't ask anyone, b/c none of the game designers mentioned in this thread have made multiplayer games.

Single player is like riding the bus.

Multi-player is like riding in the space shuttle.

I'm in orbit!

#25 2019-07-27 03:27:27

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Sponwood, how many games did Tyler Sylvester make, though, and how long has he been doing it?

Don't know.  His latest game is better than yours.  You're only as good as your last performance.  So, he's better than you.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Making one game is one thing.

I made NINTEEN, count 'em yourself, if you don't believe me.  You know, as well as I do, that SHEER QUANTITY rules the roost.  My quantity is staggering.

Quantity in making games is not a sufficient measure of ability.  One could theoretically make many games with very small changes to each game.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Spoonwood, I don't even think you're in coach class.  You're down in the baggage area, breathing thin air with exploding lithium batteries that aren't supposed to be checked in baggage.  You're trying to sneak through customs without a ticket.

Jason, I've said before that I've set records in a game.  I still have MANY records of a very old game.  Take a look at this gaming competition here: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ3/quartermasters.php  You can talk all you like, but I think my position there implies that I understand something of game design.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Because I didn't just make one indy game and steal Prisoner's Architecture graphics in the process, and then write a book about game design after that!

You're probably jealous of Tynan's success and don't give him enough credit.  His game sales speak for themselves.  Also, your vision is lacking.  The trees, for the sake of example, look different in Rimworld than in Prison Architect.

jasonrohrer wrote:

No, I made 19 games without stealing any graphics, and WROTE NO BOOK AT ALL.

If I ever wrote a book, though, I'd give you a preview copy, so that you can provide me with a quote for the back cover:

You are unduly arrogant to believe that I would ever say that.  I'm sure I wouldn't.  The whole concept of 'greatest game designer' I regard as completely lacking in a valid foundation.  Your game won't be superior in every respect to every other game made, neither in general, nor by one person.  It's also clear now, at least given the current plan, that your numbers will end up more limited than plenty of other games made by one person, if not the vast, vast majority of them.  Thus, your game apparently will end up extremely inferior in an important respect.  If games were scored on say 5 different important points, like say gymnastics, your score in the category of potential game growth is so low that it's devastating for even considering such a game as the best for any competition that would compare games.  To make perhaps another analogy, it's sort of like in competitive marching band/drum corps competitions the brass section getting a 1 out of 10 or a 5 out of 10 general effect score (5 seems generous here actually).  That group isn't going to get the trophy on the night in question.  If this current game of yours wins any competitions, that's more of a mark against the scoring system of the competition than a reflection of your game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer