One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 02:42:35

Thaulos

Game unplayable

Hopefully this didn't kill the game for good.

#2 2019-07-26 02:55:04

Laskara

Re: Game unplayable

i have a very strong feeling it just did lmao

#3 2019-07-26 11:17:53

ollj

How dare you to question Jason, the almitgthy good of grief with all the great developer experience that sure knows whats best in terms of balancing, unlike all us dumb pelbs.

I get great joy out of how jason admits being wrong during the most recent 30 hours in assertions like "500x500 is big enough", by first being unreasonabnly sure about something, and then undoing it.

Always cute to see someone succumbing to common sense.

#4 2019-07-26 11:36:56

Coniculls13
Website

This series of events is on loop. The outcry comes and goes with any addition that has ever been made.
Jason is a game designer, he openly admitted on another thread he didn't know what the outcome of this would be, as he has countless times beforehand.
This takes trial and error, it will never be perfect on the first time around. The key factor here is that Jason is well aware of this and is constantly observing the behaviour of the game.
What will anyone learn if we did not at least try new mechanics? Doing this could potentially uncover a path to an entirely new way to play and eventually be beneficial. But that could be all lost if we simply never tried.

This game is in active development, I believe that's pretty clear. Getting upset about an actively developed game being updated, a bit ironic?

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

#5 2019-07-26 11:43:33

Peremptive

This forum is the same as ever except with 1/3rd the people as a few months ago. I just came back on after a long hiatus, can someone explain the whole world gap thing? Why? Is it an anti-griefing mechanism or something?

#6 2019-07-26 14:49:41

Léonard

Coniculls13 wrote:

This game is in active development, I believe that's pretty clear. Getting upset about an actively developed game being updated, a bit ironic?

You're quite late for this argument. This has been debated a lot. And no, it is not as clear as you may think.
The fact that the "updates" were supposed to be focused on content is undeniable.

Coniculls13 wrote:

This series of events is on loop. The outcry comes and goes with any addition that has ever been made.

No one was complaining back when Jason stuck to content focused updates.

Coniculls13 wrote:

Doing this could potentially uncover a path to an entirely new way to play and eventually be beneficial. But that could be all lost if we simply never tried.

The ONLY "path" that isn't being tried is simply continuing to give actually meaningful content updates to people.
Maybe then specialization would have emerged naturally (in the real sense of the word this time), etc etc.
I'm really tired of having to explain and argue over this.

The only thing that is clear to me is that this game is going nowhere.

#7 2019-07-26 15:01:57

arkajalka

Had few runs now... This mode is really killing me...

Resources are scarse and idiots keep messing up everything constant. You are the solo individual working on making pumps/oil the others are busy making knifes and stabbing with them. Taking the single axe/hatchet to somewhere as far as possible from smith.

Either you stab every noob that comes near smith or just give up on living and go on killing spree. Or just quit playing till this thing is over.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#8 2019-07-26 15:13:12

ollj

it is far from unplayable.
it is more intense and messy, overall a lot more interesting.

a lot of it has fundamentally changed just by higher density. this obsoletes many strategies/tactics.
it is a lot easier to "grief" and steal and mass murder.
as in, war swords are no longer needed to kill 5 foreigners, a knife suffices.

the "lure bears to foreigners" thing is going to be much more common.

if you are still naive dumb enough to bother about a broken core promise of "build a civilization from scratch" its time to curb your iognorance, as its ben done continupusly for the last 3 months.
its a battle royalle game with null defensive strategy.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-26 16:15:17)

#9 2019-07-26 15:20:38

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, a game that's been going strong for 1.5 years is "killed for good" in 2 hours.

Board footer