One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-21 17:28:40

AmberA

Jobs with a story?

Sometimes doing the work in the game gets repetitive so I often role-play a character with a job. Same with my children, seems to be more likely that they actually stick around and work.

* Fishermen: I saw an unused fishing hole in town and was a woman so each child I had I'd take them to the ice hole and tell them about how we are a family of fisherman, and that their dad died in a fishing accident. One child ignored the story but 2 others became fisherman; one with a pole and another using a net. Presto, now the town has 2 more food sources.

A few others:
* Wolf child (hunts rabbits)
* Fire Priestess (fire is sacred and must be kept going and stocked)
* Gardeners
* Cobbler (town shoe maker)

What are some role play jobs that you've come across or seen in this game?

Edited to include: Can't believe I have to add this but I'm only asking for productive role-play jobs, not griefing ones like feeding children to bears...

Last edited by AmberA (2019-07-21 18:45:48)

#2 2019-07-21 17:42:32

Legs

Re: Jobs with a story?

A chef. Not some lowly peasant baker, a real chef that makes only the yummiest foods. Shrimp, tacos, burritos, fries and chips with ketchup and salsa. Ice cream! Turkey, sauerkraut, milk and mango. I'll try to expand the town's food options and encourage my children to learn about making at least one new kind of food in their life.

Loco Motion

#3 2019-07-21 18:01:38

ollj

Dare to keep more than 5 fires lit in heavy traffic areas without getting murdered and cursed for it, even in situations it makes sense to use excess wood to grow a lot of population and safe food for a while.

Bear feeder, feed all your children to a bear.
curse one of your children at random before making it bear food, because the permament-curse-rating is utter bullshit, and begs for such abuse.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-21 19:42:47)

#4 2019-07-21 18:19:28

Grim_Arbiter

Tailor.

I make yall fancy.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-07-21 19:32:18

arkajalka

Be a sheep. Do everything as usual but wear only sheep skin and white cloak. Wool boots optional too.

Backbags are for losers.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-21 19:32:51)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#6 2019-07-22 06:20:08

AmberA

I saw another one today: Santa

He had a full red outfit with santa hat. He'd ride around on a horse and cart saying HOHOHO. It was really cute.

#7 2019-07-22 16:32:28

Tea

Told my children their dad was killed by a bear and a wolf and so I had to avenge him by killing every dangerous creature. Had a nice little story, what his name was, how we met, how he died etc. Asked them to build a hunters hut or to join me in my task. Ironically, I was killed later by a bear I shot. ^^

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#8 2019-07-22 16:38:24

RodneyC86

I was cartmaker once. All the rope gathered from the wild. Made 12 carts before I finally kicked the bucket. Yeah I wasn't the speediest explorer and it was before I knew about mods. But it was awesome to receive a hero's welcome on my return and completing the 12 carts next to the smithy

#9 2019-07-22 16:52:12

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Every now and then I will be the bringer of turkeys.

What I do is I just spend my entire life killing turkeys and taking them home and flooding the kitchen with them. I'll only ever say one thing when I come home. "I am the bringer of turkeys". Every time I do this I get people BEGGING me to stop, but the bringer of turkeys can only bring turkeys.

It seriously cracks me up to do this, the reactions of people are always priceless. Having someone threaten to kill me if I don't stop bringing turkeys makes it so worth.

When I did it once they had to make 4 boxes just to have some place to put them, but even then the kitchen was still flooded. Another town made an extra oven to cook the turkeys. Another town worshiped me and at the end of my life we had 3 full time horse turkey hunters.

I highly recommend it if you're very bored and male.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2019-07-22 17:03:26

ollj

i was bringer of turkeys for the first town with 2-3 bells. often towards foreigners, so its a distant line of turkeys.
the town was in ruins for a week, and i pretty much stopped the turkey business, but the town was occasionally repopulated.

by the time of the apocalypse there were still 20/75 brought turkeys on plates uncooked
turkey floods heavily shift populations, till raiders get aware of the location.
initially, its possible to add +20 turkeys per 50 minutes. this quickly diminishes though.
they never make enough stoves and kindling to cook the turkey fast enough.

always put them on plates, or dumbums will just disperse them.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-22 17:15:36)

#11 2019-07-22 18:54:43

schmloo

I’d be a master potter.

Oh, you want bowls so you can flood the town with carnitas and sulphur? Yeah, don’t worry I gotchu.

Oh, you want plates for an obscene amount of pies, or just chopped tomatoes and onions? Comin’ right atcha.

Oh, you want crocks for your turkey fantasy, or just sauerkraut? Hmu boi I’ll fulfil your order.

Oh, you want dice to gamble for your lives? Sure, whatever I suppose.

Best thing about it is finding a kid, naming them “Potter”, and starting the glorious cycle over again.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

Board footer