One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-19 20:17:15

Legs

Abortion and moral relativism in OHOL

Today I witnessed an abortion. A mother didn't like her baby, so she stabbed it. A man killed her for it, then another woman killed him because she thought that the other mother had done nothing wrong.

So let's talk about killing babies. Is it ever okay to kill a baby? If so, when? Are mothers justified killing babies they just don't like? Or is it only acceptable when it's strictly necessary for survival? I'm curious what the consensus will be.

Loco Motion

#2 2019-07-19 20:48:55

ollj

Re: Abortion and moral relativism in OHOL

no, people need no excuse to murder anything. lust let them endulge their bloodlust vengeance whiteknight fantasies without wassting any time to type any excuses.
a "fyad" totally suffices. it rolls off the keyboard, the keys are so close together.

i only kill my babies as eve, in times where many people die at the same time, due to multiple raids overlapping.
this way i take full responsibility for the memerscore effect.

to have them not type /die and waste my arrow, i have to "entertain" them in chat with silly nonsense while they bleed out.
i described this in a bug report on this forum.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 20:49:49)

#3 2019-07-19 20:55:37

PXshadow

How is that an abortion that's straight murder. The reason why abortion is socially acceptable (or should be) Is because a person has the highest claim to their own body, so if an adult human was inside of you it'd be the equivalent, you'd have the right to evict the person from you with as much required force to remove the person. If the person did not survive the removal, you hold limited liability as they had violated your rights first.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

#4 2019-07-20 02:02:33

AmberA

I think in this game, there are circumstances were I will be ok with killing (or letting others) kill babies. If the child does nothing but grief for their entire existence such as their first words are b*tch, c*nt, racist remarks, talking about killing+trying to get weapons or they spam ill/whistle then go for it, kill em. I will probably wait until they are an adult so I can have community support before I act but I will absolutely support anyone else who kills them, even if it's my kid especially for the racial stuff.

#5 2019-07-20 02:26:39

Tarr
Banned

Starving/Murdering/Abandoning children has existed since very early in the game. Nowadays you obviously don't see people starving babies for any other reason than getting rid of annoying babies or group players to some extent.

Classically you would hear stories of players getting abandoned in what we would call late game towns now due to the fact the skill level of the players was much lower and things to ease up the food difficulties weren't in full swing. It's funny to see how much better we've gotten over time and how much easier it is to support multiple people at this point.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-07-20 06:36:19

Baker

Depends on the baby really, I'll happily kill any kid that spams ill and yoohoo. I usually drop my kids off at the nursery, Most times I just leave difficult babies to starve or find another mum. Killing creates more drama unless the townspeople are on board with it.

I certainly wouldn't be wasting my time healing some baby or killing the mum. The townspeople will either kill her themselves or condemn me if I decide to intervene, Wasting my life to avenge a baby.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2019-07-20 15:14:28

sigmen4020

There are some types of babies that absolutely infuriate me:

1. Babies that constantly poke clothing. If you do that I would much rather be giving it to literally any other child than you.

2. Babies that constantly jump out of your arms to avoid being named.

3. Babies that run a marathon around town while you chase it. These kids should be starved IMO to make them learn to stay put.

4. Babies that utter racial slurs. You are probably better off without those in pretty much any situation.

5. Babies that poke weapons. Too shifty.

I would usually not kill these types of babies unless I get the support of the town. I will only kill someone in town as a last resort, because it usually causes a lot of unnecessary drama.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#8 2019-07-20 15:33:47

testo

I believe it´s ok to stab a baby. Had multiple times triplets and twins that you just know are going to grief.

Also several annoying people asking for bags or clothing.

There are so many good reasons to stab babies, but mainly because people would always feed them, even if explained why the baby is not fine in first place.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#9 2019-07-20 17:30:55

Legs

This thread is telling me that people make a lot of assumptions about other players that can't do anything or express themselves in any meaningful way. Seems like the consensus here is that murdering babies is fine and you don't really need a reason to do it. Just because you don't like them. There's really no way to know if a baby is good or bad.

If you think they're suspicious you can always watch them and tell them off, that's what moms do. The idea of abandoning or even killing your own kid because you think they might be a troublemaker just doesn't seem right in a game about family.

Loco Motion

#10 2019-07-20 18:30:15

testo

Legs wrote:

This thread is telling me that people make a lot of assumptions about other players that can't do anything or express themselves in any meaningful way. Seems like the consensus here is that murdering babies is fine and you don't really need a reason to do it. Just because you don't like them. There's really no way to know if a baby is good or bad.

If you think they're suspicious you can always watch them and tell them off, that's what moms do. The idea of abandoning or even killing your own kid because you think they might be a troublemaker just doesn't seem right in a game about family.

Dude if someone asks me B-A-G as soon as they are in the game they are expressing themselves. If the same person then proceeds to type "giv-me-bag" when there is only one in sight (the one im wearing), hes going to get stabbed. Same with people poking clothing or bags around, just don´t be entitled people, you are not entitled to anything just becuase it is on screen. Most of the times it is ok to stab a baby like that for the simple reason that they mean trouble. It is not that I don´t like them (thou I hate entitled teens in general) it is they are bad for the town in the long run. There is a good indicator (I had several bad experiences actually being overly generous) on bad babies => bad players.

The real problem behind all this is: any decent player, naked at 4 can gear up in 10 minutes tops. I can guarantee theres 0% chance of a half decent player asking for bp or clothing. There is simple no need to start poking stuff that is not yours to begin with. You get pants? thats nice, you get a seal shirt? cool! They gave you a BP? awesome. Mom gave you nothing... thats ok thank you anyways!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#11 2019-07-20 18:43:17

coriander

What's the worst outcome of eliminating a racist baby? One less person in the workforce.

The best outcome? You nip griefer shenanigans right in the bud.

Of course, if she's the last girl, you might just have to tolerate her bullshit, but the fact is that in most circumstances, the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of killing a racist or unruly baby.

#12 2019-07-21 09:06:14

Lava

NO there is no reason to kill babies no matter what. Why is this a discussion? Just because a baby is trying to pass time by poking items doesn't mean it has to be put down that's stupid. Besides abortion is while it is a fetus or embryo not outside the womb. Its just murder and you treat murder as you would anything else if it was unjustified.

Last edited by Lava (2019-07-21 09:36:59)

#13 2019-07-21 09:29:01

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
Legs wrote:

Dude if someone asks me B-A-G as soon as they are in the game they are expressing themselves. If the same person then proceeds to type "giv-me-bag" when there is only one in sight (the one im wearing), hes going to get stabbed. Same with people poking clothing or bags around, just don´t be entitled people, you are not entitled to anything just becuase it is on screen. Most of the times it is ok to stab a baby like that for the simple reason that they mean trouble. It is not that I don´t like them (thou I hate entitled teens in general) it is they are bad for the town in the long run. There is a good indicator (I had several bad experiences actually being overly generous) on bad babies => bad players.

The real problem behind all this is: any decent player, naked at 4 can gear up in 10 minutes tops. I can guarantee theres 0% chance of a half decent player asking for bp or clothing. There is simple no need to start poking stuff that is not yours to begin with. You get pants? thats nice, you get a seal shirt? cool! They gave you a BP? awesome. Mom gave you nothing... thats ok thank you anyways!

You know what... You are right, the ones that need my help to equip up tends to be more trouble than they are worth - much to my regret and dismay.

#14 2019-07-21 09:32:58

Lava

RodneyC86 wrote:
testo wrote:
Legs wrote:

You know what... You are right, the ones that need my help to equip up tends to be more trouble than they are worth - much to my regret and dismay.

This doesn't justify killing people!! Just tell that person no, there's no reason in ending that person life. What are these morals, killing someone just because they are asking an obnoxious question.

#15 2019-07-21 09:55:37

RodneyC86

Lava wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
testo wrote:

This doesn't justify killing people!! Just tell that person no, there's no reason in ending that person life. What are these morals, killing someone just because they are asking an obnoxious question.

Calm your tits. I don't kill people asking for bags. But I certainly would feel very concerned. Also, there's a group of toxic players who will remember you not giving them a bag and will say you don't love them. At that point I would just be glad they don't decide to murder me as I am working in the farm. Yes , asses like that exists

#16 2019-07-21 11:15:14

sigmen4020

Lava wrote:

NO there is no reason to kill babies no matter what. Why is this a discussion? Just because a baby is trying to pass time by poking items doesn't mean it has to be put down that's stupid. Besides abortion is while it is a fetus or embryo not outside the womb. Its just murder and you treat murder as you would anything else if it was unjustified.

Comparing killing babies to real life issues is pretty silly considering you are playing a video game. Unlike real life, abortion is not even an option in this game since the babies immediately pop out with no pregnancy timer. As a rule if someone is troublesome as a baby in this game, they will usually also be trouble as an adult. Are you going to change the players behavior in the span of an hour? Good luck with that.

Also killing a baby isn’t even that much of an inconvenience for the person playing as the baby. Considering that they have invested minimal time on that life and they can just press “get reborn”. That’s why killing an adult in this game is a much bigger deal than killing a baby.

And this is coming from someone who barely kill any babies in this game, because I don’t want to take part in needless drama around the village.

#17 2019-07-21 12:05:19

arkajalka

sigmen4020 wrote:

1. Babies that constantly poke clothing. If you do that I would much rather be giving it to literally any other child than you.

3. Babies that run a marathon around town while you chase it. These kids should be starved IMO to make them learn to stay put.

4. Babies that utter racial slurs. You are probably better off without those in pretty much any situation.

I would usually not kill these types of babies unless I get the support of the town. I will only kill someone in town as a last resort, because it usually causes a lot of unnecessary drama.

Im a clothes swapper, hat, pants you name it. Love to show the wiener most as a boy. If theres clothes laying around in the proximity, why not put it on baby, it will eat less, cry less and cloth being on baby will get some clutter outta floor.

I usually run around the fire too(people over feed kids hard, i can stop for food or say F). Also you can heat control and check the town out as a baby. The fire is hot and you need to cool down so might aswell check out what you dealing with. If the town is blessed with balls its whole different playground. Also its not racist if you black, my nigga.

Ofc this only applies to town fire situations. Am not gonna make my moms life harder if she actually working on something, but the drama squad on the fire needs atleast some activity around there than constant bable.

Babies are supposed to be irritating. They are constantly crying, worthles human being that are only good for throwing balls. If you wanna throw the stab then go for it. Its your loss. Usually the irritating=active babyes are actually super capable players who just want to get their hands dirty and get to work.

Last edited by arkajalka (2019-07-21 12:16:09)

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#18 2019-07-21 13:22:35

testo

RodneyC86 wrote:
Lava wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Calm your tits. I don't kill people asking for bags. But I certainly would feel very concerned. Also, there's a group of toxic players who will remember you not giving them a bag and will say you don't love them. At that point I would just be glad they don't decide to murder me as I am working in the farm. Yes , asses like that exists

It all comes down to Rodneys point, I´m not saying I love to stab babies or that I kill a baby as soon as he starts poking clothing/bp. I´m saying there is enough evidence to justify killing strongly obnoxious babies, because they end up being troublemakers. I have enough experience with demanding babies to understand that:

a) Good players don´t poke stuff in a demanding way
b) Decent players may poke stuff once or twice and not again if said no
c) Persistent and demanding players are not an asset even if given the stuff they want and worst they end up backstabbing you and the town.

So yes, based in my experience there is justification for killing babies in this game.

- Jack Ass

#19 2019-07-21 14:34:11

sigmen4020

arkajalka wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

Im a clothes swapper, hat, pants you name it. Love to show the wiener most as a boy. If theres clothes laying around in the proximity, why not put it on baby, it will eat less, cry less and cloth being on baby will get some clutter outta floor.

I usually run around the fire too(people over feed kids hard, i can stop for food or say F). Also you can heat control and check the town out as a baby. The fire is hot and you need to cool down so might aswell check out what you dealing with. If the town is blessed with balls its whole different playground. Also its not racist if you black, my nigga.

Ofc this only applies to town fire situations. Am not gonna make my moms life harder if she actually working on something, but the drama squad on the fire needs atleast some activity around there than constant bable.

Babies are supposed to be irritating. They are constantly crying, worthles human being that are only good for throwing balls. If you wanna throw the stab then go for it. Its your loss. Usually the irritating=active babyes are actually super capable players who just want to get their hands dirty and get to work.

Okay, I’m not saying that I don’t give babies spare clothing. But I’m more inclined to give said clothing to the patient babies sitting quiet at the fire than obnoxious babies continuously poking clothing and spamming emotes (the ones that emit sound, I don’t mind spamming of silent emotes).

In my personal experience the hard workers you want aren’t the babies making you chase them to feed, but rather the quiet babies that know to say f at two food bars. And as I mentioned at the end that I rarely kill even the troublesome babies because it’s not worth the drama it causes.

#20 2019-07-22 00:23:37

Lava

sigmen4020 wrote:
Lava wrote:

Comparing killing babies to real life issues is pretty silly considering you are playing a video game. Unlike real life, abortion is not even an option in this game since the babies immediately pop out with no pregnancy timer. As a rule if someone is troublesome as a baby in this game, they will usually also be trouble as an adult. Are you going to change the players behavior in the span of an hour? Good luck with that.

Also killing a baby isn’t even that much of an inconvenience for the person playing as the baby. Considering that they have invested minimal time on that life and they can just press “get reborn”. That’s why killing an adult in this game is a much bigger deal than killing a baby.

And this is coming from someone who barely kill any babies in this game, because I don’t want to take part in needless drama around the village.

This topic is literally called abortion and moral relativism. There is no abortion in OHOL and you can compare this to real life. Your not going to kill a baby if its being obnoxious by asking for clothing. Killing can only be harmful for the family unless its a griever in which a baby isn't. If you see that three year old hiding objects then at this time it is justified for their death. Murder is murder in this game nothing else and a baby doesn't change this circumstance.

#21 2019-07-22 00:25:36

Lava

sigmen4020 wrote:
arkajalka wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

Okay, I’m not saying that I don’t give babies spare clothing. But I’m more inclined to give said clothing to the patient babies sitting quiet at the fire than obnoxious babies continuously poking clothing and spamming emotes (the ones that emit sound, I don’t mind spamming of silent emotes).

In my personal experience the hard workers you want aren’t the babies making you chase them to feed, but rather the quiet babies that know to say f at two food bars. And as I mentioned at the end that I rarely kill even the troublesome babies because it’s not worth the drama it causes.

Well good you shouldn't kill babies unlike testo who would for them asking.

Last edited by Lava (2019-07-22 00:27:42)

#22 2019-07-22 00:31:04

Lava

testo wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Lava wrote:

It all comes down to Rodneys point, I´m not saying I love to stab babies or that I kill a baby as soon as he starts poking clothing/bp. I´m saying there is enough evidence to justify killing strongly obnoxious babies, because they end up being troublemakers. I have enough experience with demanding babies to understand that:

c) Persistent and demanding players are not an asset even if given the stuff they want and worst they end up backstabbing you and the town.

So yes, based in my experience there is justification for killing babies in this game.

A babies life is super boring and some babies do run around or spam poke something. Does this mean they grow up to be bad people? for me its most likely no. The only time i wouldn't stand up to a baby murder is if the baby is spamming whistle and sick emotes and even then i would probably tolerate.

#23 2019-07-22 00:34:01

ollj

test your babies intelligence by walking away from it, with a basket of stuff thats worth more than a baby that rather starves itself.

is your baby smart enough to follow its only reliable food source, or will it just starve greedily instead?
are you a bad enough dude to go for a 900ish memerscore by doing the spartan-baby-cliff-selection process?

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-22 00:35:42)

#24 2019-07-22 09:58:35

RodneyC86

Lava wrote:
testo wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

A babies life is super boring and some babies do run around or spam poke something. Does this mean they grow up to be bad people? for me its most likely no. The only time i wouldn't stand up to a baby murder is if the baby is spamming whistle and sick emotes and even then i would probably tolerate.

What a player does during baby stage is telling of their character though, IMO, to an extent. As a child I'm mroe interested in observing the dynamics in the village and looking at what is lying around and see what I can help make during my lifetime. Where's our weak link. Where the village needs me when I am ready... Bonus points for child who can say F when hungry - not so good if baby doesn't ever say anything but maybe just a player who trusts you anyway.

A spam poking emoting baby is probably not preparing for that... 'probably' being the key word here - someone could be spamming these while actually looking around but I won't count on it.

TLDR - baby behaviour can be quite telling of how they turn out later on

#25 2019-07-23 05:50:08

ollj

why murder your babay with a knife when all you need for an abortion is a stone hoe?

Board footer