a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-13 23:52:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Penny Arcade Booth (PAX West)

I will be manning an OHOL booth at PAX West all four days:

https://west.paxsite.com/

If you're going to PAX, please stop by to say hello.  I'm also planning to sell the Dumdum stickers there.

If you're not already going to PAX, tickets for Friday and Monday are still available.

#2 2019-07-14 00:15:06

jord1990

Re: Penny Arcade Booth (PAX West)

Bit too far of a drive sadly

#3 2019-07-14 02:49:36

Jk Howling

Tfw you're only a 40 minute drive from Seattle but can't go

Probably for the best though. As much as I love the stickers, I wouldn't be able to resist bringing up dreaded s*ggestions from my inconsequential 15-year-experience-lacking self. tongue

Hope you have fun though! I haven't been to Pax West before but I've watched a few of my favorite youtubers vlog through and it looks very fun.

Last edited by Jk Howling (2019-07-14 02:50:36)

-Has ascended to better games-

#4 2019-07-14 03:15:48

WheresMyOh

I would go if I could sad Sadly across the country

#5 2019-07-14 11:24:16

Grim_Arbiter

Goodstuff, still planning on getting the bowl of gooseberries?

You'll have the crying babies like you wanted, but they'll be in sticker form haha.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-07-14 11:27:08)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-07-14 13:24:12

Morti

It'd be a 711 hour walk to get to Seattle from where I'm at.
If I walked 12 hours a day it'd take me only 2 months (60 days) to get there.
You think this is a big world, but 2 months, to traverse the United States, to walk 3496 km, whats that?
Less than ten seconds (9.86 s) of a One Hour life.
711 h walking
192 h biking
88 h bussing
34 h driving
7 h flying

192/12=16. 16 days of riding and sleeping on grass... tempting.

#7 2019-07-15 12:28:34

Spiegel

Morti wrote:

It'd be a 711 hour walk to get to Seattle from where I'm at.
If I walked 12 hours a day it'd take me only 2 months (60 days) to get there.
You think this is a big world, but 2 months, to traverse the United States, to walk 3496 km, whats that?
Less than ten seconds (9.86 s) of a One Hour life.
711 h walking
192 h biking
88 h bussing
34 h driving
7 h flying

192/12=16. 16 days of riding and sleeping on grass... tempting.

Dude, I never thought of the math like that. . . That sounds cool as hell. >:O

#8 2019-07-15 21:40:44

Morti

Spiegel wrote:

Dude, I never thought of the math like that. . . That sounds cool as hell. >:O

If you ever go on an adventure like that, here's a good tip, sleep during the day and travel at night.
At night you get the stars to keep you company, the roads are relatively clear, the air is cool, and moving combined with your body temperature keeps the dew from collecting on you. Whereas, if you sleep at night, traveling when the sun is high in the sky, you get hot and sweaty, the sun bakes your skin and you have to stop for water more often.

Sleeping during the day vs at night.

If people see you sleeping in a park during the day, be it a roadside park, a state park, or a city park, they think you are just relaxing, taking some time off. People are okay with others sleeping in parks during the day. You just find yourself some shade on a soft patch of grass and relax. If you sleep at night, it's cold, the dew collects on you, your body temperature drops, your muscles tense up and that adds to the stress on your bones and joints. And if people see you sleeping in a park at night, they are a lot more likely to call the cops, or, approach you personally and give you a hard time.

No one frowns if you're sleeping in a park during the day, they think "Lucky them, taking some time off from the world."

Eight years ago I did this, I traveled 212 km (132 miles) in 23 hours. I took three naps in that time, a half hour on some rocks at 3 am (miserable) an hour huddled behind a marina at 4 am, get warmed by the exhaust from all the refrigerators inside, and another half hour on a gravel road at 6 am. All of those naps were miserable, but they gave me enough energy to move on.

Then two years ago I took a bus down to Nashville Tennessee to catch the total solar eclipse, and rather than get right back on a bus home, I stayed down there for several days. Well, I traveled around Nashville all night long, walking 50 to 100 km a day and sleeping in the parks when things got too hot in the middle of the day. The last two days I was down there I did get some cheap hotel rooms with a woman I met there, I just really wanted a good bed to lay on, and, figured I'd treat her to something nice as well, but, had I not met her, I would have been just fine continuing to sleep the mid days away, while seeing the city lit up by night.

I was also homeless in Indianapolis for a few months, 18 years ago, and learned that you can nap in most places in the middle of the day, including most coffee shops and bars, and people just think you're a college student, or, overworked. It helped I was younger and spent most of my time in Broad Ripple, the 'college town' of Indianapolis.

--

So much time spent meandering around the same places, when I could have been traveling... don't hesitate to do it if you get the urge. See the world!

So many homeless people I've met, have told me about places I didn't think poor people could ever see. Mexico, Canada, Brasil, Europe, Southeast Asia. I met a kid that went to Thailand when he was 18, just to work for his uncle, but wound up traveling to Singapore, Vietnam, Laos, Burma and even Bangladesh, before he got back to Thailand at the age of 21. That whole time he only did odd jobs where he met people who spoke English, and didn't have to spend a thing. Basically he was homeless and seeing the world.

Most of us probably don't have uncles with restaurants in Thailand, but, there are so many other ways to get yourself into a new environment, like, going to see that Eclipse in Nashville, then, once your there, just wing it. For real, that's living. You want a real adventure, spend half of the money you have to get you as far as you can away from where you are now, and then stay there as long as you can, without spending a thing, if ever things get too bad, spend the other half to get yourself back... maybe take some kind of precautions, but you know what, it's usually more enjoyable if you don't.

There is so much good, and peace, on this planet, that people who live in fear will sadly never, truly know.

Let's say you just have a weekend off of school or work, and you only have $100. Travel as far as you can in two days, on foot, or by bike, and then just catch a bus at a station to get back home, though, you may just do like I did, with that 212 km trip, you may say to yourself "I got myself this far from home by my own two feet, and I'm going to get myself back the same way."

Maybe things don't work out so well, and you lose your apartment or your house, maybe you get kicked out of home at 18 and have no where to live, perfect opportunity to travel light across your country. If you own anything you really want to keep, put it in a storage unit, pay a few months in advance, and then just leave it behind.

You'd be amazed what sorts of opportunities there are out there in the world, opportunities you'll never learn about, sitting at a computer, living by imagination alone.

The worst people you'll find out there, are the ones that try to discourage you from living the One Life, you'll ever have to live.
The ones that tell you "Don't go there." "Don't come here." Hear them, listen to them, but do, what you want to do, regardless.

Some of my best adventures, have been in some of the seediest places in the Eastern United States. I've found some of the kindest people, in places like Flint, and Detroit and in the slums of Indianapolis. All the kinds of places, I was told to avoid, I found good people. Just always be kind to the locals, and show them your utmost respect.

Maybe look at it this way, you are never guaranteed to die, but once. But you are guaranteed to live, every day, and every day on an adventure, is a day worth a memory, for the rest of your life.

#9 2019-07-16 01:31:47

Peaches

Speaking as a young woman, I doubt I'd survive the first month of doing something like that. Too dangerous for me to ever consider sating my wanderlust. tongue

I hope the booth goes well, hopefully it'll dredge up some more interested players! I've always wanted to hit up PAX but I actually live pretty close to Indianapolis myself and can't justify travel expenses for anything farther away than a state or two.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#10 2019-07-17 22:31:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I'm in the PAX Rising area, where the booth is provided, and it's more like a kiosk.  So no dirt floor or booth babies, or any of that.

But a bowl of gooseberries is still a good idea!

Board footer