#1 2018-04-06 01:24:15

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: The Apocalypse

nTODUT4.gif

The end is coming.

Or maybe it's not coming.

It's up to you.

Long term carrot farming has a limit now.  A few content fixes (you can't wear saddles as big fuzzy shoes anymore, sorry).

A bunch of little client fixes.  The client will now complain if its version mismatches with the server (to help customServer folks notice that an update is available).  Speech no longer disappears off the top of the screen.  Mac fullscreen mode should be working (try it and see... let me know if it works).

#2 2018-04-06 03:26:10

OxPower

Re: Update: The Apocalypse

The absolute madman.

#3 2018-04-06 03:48:19

jascoggi

Yeah it just happened...

Then I lived with my Khan family till I was 59. Good times..

Last edited by jascoggi (2018-04-06 03:48:31)

#4 2018-04-06 03:50:31

Dredonkey

im confused what the update added, anyone mind explaining?

#5 2018-04-06 04:06:05

Gate Valley

Yeah, I'm pretty confused too.

#6 2018-04-06 04:12:40

Gederian

Dredonkey wrote:

im confused what the update added, anyone mind explaining?

Griefers can now destroy entire civilizations by putting a crown on a horse and tying it to a stop light. Yah, i'm pretty confused too...

#7 2018-04-06 04:19:11

Dredonkey

yeah i just researched it a bit.... so basically there is a or maybe multiple "monoliths" in the world which is a structure you can put 3 gold ingots in (amount of gold ingots in it represented by circles on it filled with gold) then you can crown a wild or domesticated horse (with carrot crown as far as I know) then hitch the horse to the monolith and the servers get reset.
Im assuming there is only one of these which will give us a good chance of not getting rekt by griefers.
Anyways I think we should all keep hope and if Jason rohrer needs to balance it I bet he will.

Last edited by Dredonkey (2018-04-06 04:20:21)

#8 2018-04-06 04:26:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Not griefers, exactly.

I feel like the game kinda stagnates once people reach the upper levels of tech.  Obviously, there's nothing left to "do" at that point.

I'm going to be adding content to the game every week, but for the foreseeable future, people will be able to catch up to me before the end of the week.

It's impossible for me to make content that will take you MORE than a week to play through if I only spend a week making it.  In fact, so far, it has taken people a few hours to play through the content that I spend a week making.

The idea is that there will be an apocalypse trigger in the upper reaches of the tech tree.  But it will move and change each week, going further up as the tech moves further up.

And, when people get really bored of high-level tech, they can trigger it and start over again.  But every week, it gets harder and harder to trigger as it moves further up the tech tree.

Eventually, when I'm done adding tech to the game in 2 years, the apocalypse trigger would be a nuclear bomb or something like that.  And it will hopefully take people a full week or more to get to that point in tech.

After all, this IS a game about what it's like to build civilization from scratch, if we had to.

Over the past 2+ weeks, people hadn't really been doing that anymore, as civilization had become established.

Anyway, I'll be keeping a close eye on this and adjusting it along the way.

#9 2018-04-06 04:45:51

InSpace

I'm onboard! It just seems way too easy atm

#10 2018-04-06 04:54:22

Lily

I kind of like that. It makes it like having a cycle, where you start fresh then build up civilization over a few weeks or a month, then it resets and you start building it up once more, pushing further than you had in the past. Obviously it needs a little tweaking to find the  sweet spot of how easy or hard to make it. We don't want the world resetting weekly, at least not later on.

#11 2018-04-06 05:08:29

stickyflypaper

OK, at first I wasn't sure I liked this update at all, but when you explain it that way, it makes more sense, and I think I'm OK with it.

Last edited by stickyflypaper (2018-04-06 05:10:03)

#12 2018-04-06 06:16:01

ExtraShocking

Wow, but wouldn't that make it harder to have long family trees?

#13 2018-04-06 06:31:11

yvanhooe

Damn, I usually defend the gameplay decisions in that game, but that one... I thought it was a late april's fool.

Well, I was not finished with the tech tree yet and I am a pretty frequent player. I had planned to provide dyed clothes for everyone in the colony, hoping to see red vs blue feuds. But man, alum is far from the civ centers in server3, so I had planned to start another city from scratch, closer to desert biomes.

I also planned to make snake boots and seal coats to optimize clothing a bit more so that people could "afford" a dyed hat.

People were discussing trade relationships with horse carts. I thought the alum mine + snake boots would be perfect work items against pies.

All of that blew up and I really am not going to resume efforts if this can be obliterated because a random bozo stole a horse and a crown.

What happened to "it is about what you give to the next generation" ?

#14 2018-04-06 07:19:05

Aname

im not even mad to begin over again.
but its pretty sad that all my work got destroyed.

Last edited by Aname (2018-04-06 07:19:38)

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#15 2018-04-06 08:39:40

Aname

The second apoclaypse just started lol

#16 2018-04-06 08:48:48

Christoffer
Website

This seems like a tricky one. I understand the intent behind it, but the current mechanism could be used by a single player to wipe out what many others may have spent several game hours each to build. What about modifying it thusly:
1. Make the doomsday switch something you can only build and use through active collaboration between several players (like three players have to turn three keys at the same time or something)
2. Make the reset act as a "Prestige" in an incremental game, i.e. make something in the game improved every time the players achieve a reset. (could be things like berry bushes getting one extra berry, a new color you can dye wool with, one piece of higher tech left somewhere in the world, etc etc)
I'm thinking that the doomsday should feel like a collective achievement (and carry some reward). Maybe store info on how many civilizations each player has helped build, too (making it also a personal achievement)
Any thoughts about this approach?

Edit: I also think that the Apocalypse should not carry over between servers. Players should be required to make this achievement happen separately on every server. With the Prestige in effect, this could lead to some nice variations in play between servers.

Last edited by Christoffer (2018-04-06 09:29:04)

#17 2018-04-06 08:49:19

Cylensouls

Jason, I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

#18 2018-04-06 08:52:36

yvanhooe

Flintstone wrote:

This seems like a tricky one

I don't find it tricky at all: the whole apocalypse thing is not a good idea and should be reversed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … pocalypse/

#19 2018-04-06 09:02:57

AstroTitan

So by that logic our real lives are not worth living because "a random bozo" (in a white house maybe) just happens to have access to a red button that resets us all to the stone age. Even if you accomplished great things in your life it would all be meaningless if he decided to push that button. Now why has this "bozo" not yet pushed the button, because society as a whole really doesn't want that to happen and luckily we have somehow managed to prevent it. The same logic should apply here.

This game is less of a game and more of a cultural development simulator. SOOO many parallels can be drawn between interactions and story arcs in this game and real historical events (not physically accurate, but it captures the essence of the human experience and decision making process unlike anything I have ever seen). I honestly see AI learning to develop complex social comprehension algorithms by playing this game in the future. To understand basic humans morals, how our survival instincts impact our behavior, how we form and break social bonds, the essence and motivations behind betrayals, all of this and more are given to you in unique experiences that take place in under an hour.

Even as a middle aged human, over the last two weeks I've played, I have had more Eureka moments than I can count. (For example: How lucky are we that our ancestors decided to feed our relatives instead of feeding them to the wolves because food was scarce that year? Statistically I can guarantee you that lone decision has been made many thousands of times in your/our family tree, and if a single one said "SORRY BABY, NO FOOD", then you or I would never have been born.)

I also had not yet reached the top of the current tech tree but honestly there wasn't much motivation to learn forge with tools laying around everywhere and people doing nothing but spamming carrot farms. I love the concept of a total wipe because it forces everyone to learn the basics again and develop new strategies instead of just meagerly improving some failed civilization that has no chance of being successfully revived because they decided to build it too far from water. Many people know pieces and parts of the process but they don't know some of the basics because they have never needed to learn them. Why do I need to know how to make stakes when I find dozens of them laying around? (Answer: Because someone will decide to help by making another stockpile of snares....)

You also need to account for the timescale of the game universe. In 24 hours real-time, 1,440 years pass in the game. So if real history is any indication we should be getting apocalypses about 3 times a day (~500 years between say Napoleon and Hitler). I am not saying I think that would be a good game design strategy for increasing a player base, but you can't really argue that it is unrealistic or too easy if it is going to take a dedicated group of players upwards of eight hours to cause an apocalypse after starting over. The only reason the requirements were achieved within 5 hours of release was because everything already made and only needed to be collected together at a monolith.

Jason I love this solution to the griefing and stagnation problems. If you continue to push the "button" further up the tree weekly I think I would work out nicely. Theoretically should get 0-2 server resets per week depending on how achievable it is atm. To further promote the development and spreading of culture now that it has a decided termination point, may I suggest facilitating better learning environments. Right now the simple struggle for survival is the primary objective for 95% of players, experienced or not. When I get kids that don't take interest in learning how to survive properly, it quickly becomes a game of run around trying to minimize their damage while also feeding everyone. Leaving no time to properly teach anything. When I get kids that do take interest in learning I do my best to give them all the info I can before I die; however that's usually when I come back to find zero food in camp because I wasn't making it and my previous three babies that I have given the same very informative lessons and did my best to make them successful have either ran off or died for no good reason. If early game hunger stability was somehow improved it would allow mothers to properly teach the kids while being able to maintain themselves it would help develop more culture. Also if the stars align a single 60 yr life can let you accomplish a lot. However, more often only the last 20 years are able to be spent learning new crafting and recipes because the first 40 are spent dealing with the baby making machine gun between our legs. Those who do pursue crafting early do so at the expense of the colony because food generation is like 90% of the game-play right now if you want the next few generations to survive.

I don't have an answer, only suggestions: maybe alter temperatures for biomes to reduce hunger from cold, or increase max age to 100, or something like a rudimentary desk that allows you to type paragraphs while sitting at it, or an easy way for babies to be part of mothers activities and learn from example instead of needing to be held or at fire for hunger reduction.

Thank you for all your dedication to this game!

#20 2018-04-06 09:05:42

Aname

Game is ded bro. we need to stop playing and just wait until everything gets fixed. like the murders and the apocalypses just needs to be fixed.

this game is shit now

#21 2018-04-06 09:08:47

Babsy

Flintstone wrote:

This seems like a tricky one. I understand the intent behind it, but the current mechanism could be used by a single player to wipe out what many others may have spent several game hours each to build. What about modifying it thusly:
1. Make the doomsday switch something you can only build and use through active collaboration between several players (like three players have to turn three keys at the same time or something)
2. Make the reset act as a "Prestige" in an incremental game, i.e. make something in the game improved every time the players achieve a reset. (could be things like berry bushes getting one extra berry, a new color you can dye wool with, one piece of higher tech left somewhere in the world, etc etc)
I'm thinking that the doomsday should feel like a collective achievement (and carry some reward). Maybe store info on how many civilizations each player has helped build, too (making it also a personal achievement)
Any thoughts about this approach?

I agree that it doesn't seem fair that one person is able to reset the whole server. You just gave griefers the best tool they need...

#22 2018-04-06 09:30:27

breezeknight

cleansing - yay !

#23 2018-04-06 09:41:17

breezeknight

Babsy wrote:

I agree that it doesn't seem fair that one person is able to reset the whole server. You just gave griefers the best tool they need...

i doubt it that any of the griefers is able to accomplish this task at all, lol

anyway, the apocalypse is griefing to griefers tongue
no shovels to dig berry bushes, no steel axes to chop trees down, no bows/arrows/knives to kill
just the plain fight for basic survival again, either you make it or rather not, lol

Last edited by breezeknight (2018-04-06 09:42:04)

#24 2018-04-06 09:42:57

Aname

breezeknight wrote:
Babsy wrote:

i doubt it that any of the griefers is able to accomplish this task at all, lol

anyway, the apocalypse is griefing to griefers tongue
no shovels to dig berry bushes, no steel axes to chop trees down, no bows/arrows/knives to kill
just the plain fight for basic survival again, either you make it or rather not, lol

Only problem now is that people are trying a speed run for apocalypses they are making the third apocalypse right now.

#25 2018-04-06 09:54:00

breezeknight

i will try to explain why i like that apocalypse update

1. it circumvents all the problems with griefers (no tools of destruction easily available by stealing from & shiting on all those who can make them)
2. it prevents the servers from exploding (it's an open world management game with the usual problems usual players are not aware of mixing it up with limited prescripted RPG/FPS)
3. it cleanses all the giant monstroCities (sorry unbound builders tongue )
4. players remaining are true fans of the OHOL cool

Board footer