One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-14 00:31:35

fatbunny

Why cant we carry a baby on a horse cart?

I dont think it would be too hard to do. And its ridiculous that we cant carry a babt with us to a new city. I had to migrate on foot and ditch my horse cause I had a kid. And unless the fun in the game is knifing my kid and continuing on with my journey I think he should allow mothers to carry their baby. Because it seems like a glaring oversight

#2 2019-07-14 00:37:03

jord1990

Re: Why cant we carry a baby on a horse cart?

Babies are supposed to be a burden. Is going to be the answer. Dont migrate when you have a kid or leave the horse behind if you have a kid while you migrate.

#3 2019-07-14 00:41:30

Tarr
Banned

Put baby on snake
Ride horse into the sunset
Burden avoided
And most important horse is saved.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-07-14 00:54:54

jord1990

In the wise words of Chard whenever I was born to him while he was exploring with a cart: "Its you or the cart" before he carried on running.

#5 2019-07-14 01:31:41

fatbunny

So in order to absorb the rich gameplay dynamics clearly I should stab my kid to death. Hard moral choice you see!

#6 2019-07-14 01:35:56

jord1990

No the moral choice would be to decide that the next generation is more important than a horse.

#7 2019-07-14 01:51:24

Tarr
Banned

jord1990 wrote:

No the moral choice would be to decide that the next generation is more important than a horse.

Boy = snake
Girl = snake

Horse is love
Horse is life.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-07-14 01:56:12

Jk Howling

Unless I'm literally the only female alive and the baby is a girl, in which case I [and anybody in this scenario] shouldn't even be on a horse in the first place, it's not as dramatic as "next generation vs a horse."

Instead its more like "This single child, among all the children I and my family will have and already had, or this extremely useful mid-late game tech that took 12 of the most valuable material in the game to make."

In which case, 9 times out of 10, I will always take horse cart > kid, ESPECIALLY if I'm far from home. Sorry kid. Best of luck next time. I'm not abandoning my horse cart for a single person in most scenarios. If I was focusing on having kids, I would've stayed near the camp.

-Has ascended to better games-

#9 2019-07-14 05:37:09

ollj

when you give birth to some shitpiece while pulling a cart full of round stones, ask yourself, is this baby really worth more than 12 stones or not.

#10 2019-07-14 09:08:09

Dantox

jord1990 wrote:

Babies are supposed to be a burden. Is going to be the answer. Dont migrate when you have a kid or leave the horse behind if you have a kid while you migrate.

Seems more like a design flaw to me, babies should be a burden in early civilizations but if you go as far like having a horse cart there should be a way to make transportation easier for mothers, because in any other way the player will always pick the horse cart rather than the child unless the mother is really really generous and willing to waste resources for one kid that could /die moments later or die via starvation at age 10

make bread, no war

#11 2019-07-14 09:21:22

mrbah

children can't ride horses.
that means if a woman wants to travel far to make a new camp, she has to wait to be old enough to ride the horse, travel to the destination, abandon all children on the way to there and then get a daughter that wants to stick around.

#12 2019-07-14 09:24:11

testo

I have made the mom run several times. It´s not that hard, drop horse in small bio and come back later.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2019-07-14 14:46:56

Morti

Know the landscape.
Place the horse in the smallest biome.
Take the kid home, clothe them, show them around.
Three minutes have passed, tell them you love them and you're going back out to get the horse.
Problem solved.

Every player is worth more than a cart of iron or rabbits.

Every minute they live with you is a minute they learn more about the game.
Learning that people value each other is the most important lesson for keeping our civilizations alive.

The more we care for each other, the more we feel responsible, the harder we work.

Set good examples, for every player, for every life, and we, as a community, will get better and better.

Fail to do that and you are just adding to the failure of every town, of every life, from that point on.

#14 2019-07-14 14:48:31

Morti

over one cart of iron.

#15 2019-07-14 14:53:30

MultiLife

I personally don't travel during fertile age, but yes, dropping a horsecart to a tiny biome should keep it there, and you can drop the baby to the town.
In some rare occasions I have traveled during fertile age, I look for a small spot to raise my kids in, and hope I get a break where I can move back to the town and my kids have baskets of food and a direction to run to.

About babies in backpacks, slings and carts: I think there is a hurdle in the coding side of things. When player is riding a horse, they are just carrying the horse, technically speaking. So somehow it should count as the mom carrying a horse and a baby. Or, if you place the baby in the cart or the backpack, it'd need to count as an object momentarily. That could cause issues. I don't know if it will, but I'd imagine making a player an object to hold momentarily could cause issues.
Can the baby jump out of the backpack/cart? How does the game work with carrying aspect? Should moms have a carrying slot like extra pair of hands if they have a sling or backpack on them? Can it be coded like that? Or is the true reason we have no slings or baby carts just the infamous line of "children are supposed to be a sacrifice"?

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#16 2019-07-14 16:08:51

fatbunny

Ah ok ty! Thats why I think putting babies in horsecarts is impossible. But I thought that being on a horse was just a separate state. Not a carried item. Thank you! Maybe make the horse a type of clothing?

#17 2019-07-14 16:21:39

arkajalka

Its not really that hard to get the baby into the town with cart/horse. You literally have free space for wild foods to  gather andmunch on. Also the baby is free item slot once he ages. You can dump all the cloth(skirt, seal skin), to him. Craft him a basket with sharpstone and drop the sharpie into the basket. The baby should be able to provide himself.

I freaking hate when babies suicide on me at wild cause they think i cant take care of them.

Surviving in wild is the easiest thing in this game... if you have a sharpstone.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#18 2019-07-14 17:40:23

WalrusesConquer

This is what happens when you make someone containable
 h
And that's at all ages

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-07-14 17:41:56)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#19 2019-07-14 17:44:48

Tarr
Banned

WalrusesConquer wrote:

This is what happens when you make someone containable
http://i.imgur.com/h5BKzVI.jpg
And that's at all ages

How could you not want this beast to pop in and out of your cart/cars/trains/planes/ships.

I'm not seeing a downside to making multiple person transit besides a clown car of raiders driving around trying to find villages.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-14 17:55:09)

fug it’s Tarr.

#20 2019-07-14 17:50:11

fatbunny

WalrusesConquer wrote:

I'd still hit it

#21 2019-07-14 20:00:36

The_Anabaptist

Because there is no historical precedent for it.  Oh wait...

I forgot about every mother that puts a baby on the hip and holds it one handed...

I forgot about all those intrepid settlers on the Oregon Trail that left their covered wagons behind so that they had a kid available to die to dysentery along the way...

I forgot about baby bjorns that allow modern menfolk to haul kids around while keeping their hands to hold things like the tv remote and a beer...

I forgot about little red wagons that allow older kids to haul around their younger siblings...

I forgot about sledges made out of two poles and some simple animal hide used to immobilize and haul injured people around in the woods...

/s

The_Anabaptist

Board footer