One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-05 17:42:41

Alf

Let the memories fade

An issue that has been troubling me, was that every life is supposed to be a singular experience, not connected to your other lives in particular. That raises some problem, when you get born in the same village or maybe just on the same server (as it is not that difficult to get back to that village). Why?

First of all I think the great part is getting to know, in a very, very tiny part, but still, people who you do live with in the village. You'd have to decide who is trustworthy and who is not and people would evaluate you in the same way. When you get born to the same village, tell your associates that you are you, it ruins the immersion and makes the connection between you and those players unreachable by any other player. I don't think that happens very often but still it happens indeed. We all should start from level 0. (different level 0s though as you might be born as a naked peasant or a crowned kid but I find it totally okay)

Also I think being able to continue the project you have probably just started (building storage, certain road or whatever) after you just died is killing that little feeling of mystery. Will somebody finish this? How will it look like when by some occasion I meet this place again? Will I ever see that again at all? (that's the reason I am against the coordinates program too)

Next, we all face the murder. Some of us get disappointed, some of us get angry. You might not have been killed by a dedicated murderer, it might just have been a mistake, a just or unjust decision (why would you even use such words in this kind of society though) yet some of us might feel the need of vengeance. Again, I find it wrong. It makes no point why would a 13yrs old kid want to kill you and know anything about your past or who did you kill for whatever reason. Ruining the immersion.

I could write more about that in general but I think it is enough that far, for you to get the notion.

What I suggest to the players is that, in particular addressing the murder I mentioned, that if you feel angry, sad, disappointed or just upset, make yourself a break. Do not take things out of the game experience (like some eternal feeling of the need of revenge) into it.

I would also suggest to you, not to try to reach your previous village or family but some people just take this game more as a sandbox builder and then it is totally understandable why would you want to get back there.

Maybe Jason would do something about it, as a temporary blockade to reach the server you just died on or so, but I don't really find it a thing that needs his attention at the moment or attention at all. It's just about the players' attitude.

Last edited by Alf (2018-04-05 17:47:20)

#2 2018-04-05 17:52:51

Lum

Re: Let the memories fade

This has been worrying me recently. What if people start to make groups outside of the game and try to join in-game like some kind of guild. What if they only keep children who belong to the group and let the others go. That would ruin all the immersion, since they would no longer have random lives... always playing together, communicating outside of the game.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#3 2018-04-05 17:55:13

Alf

Lum wrote:

This has been worrying me recently. What if people start to make groups outside of the game and try to join in-game like some kind of guild. What if they only keep children who belong to the group and let the others go. That would ruin all the immersion, since they would no longer have random lives... always playing together, communicating outside of the game.

Indeed. I have seen it already on some private servers, where it is understandable but this might eventually come into the public servers as a real problem.

#4 2018-04-05 20:43:13

Lily

I always just play each life fresh and even if I saw someone I knew before, I don't say anything about it. I never run to a village I knew before but some times I have come across them by accident and stuff, and in those cases I definitely take advantage of that fact. After all, if I was a random Eve, why wouldn't I stay in a well stocked town?

#5 2018-04-06 01:57:44

Portager

Agreed partially, but in many religions there is an idea of reincarnation...that is essentially what the idea of our respawns are, we are reborn with the knowledge of previous generation.

If we were to roleplay as new players everytime, then how is it that we know how to bake, how to farm, how hunt etc.; we learned those skills in a past life, just as we gained other knowledge along the way.

I will agree that if you are born into a new family, your loyalty needs to be to that family first, and to your old family second. If you are born into your old family for a second time, I don't see a problem with passing the oral history of your clan onto the next generation. Few people but you would have that knowledge, and many players are interested to know how many generations a family has been around for roleplaying purposes.

#6 2018-04-06 02:12:56

stickyflypaper

Portager wrote:

If we were to roleplay as new players everytime, then how is it that we know how to bake, how to farm, how hunt etc.; we learned those skills in a past life, just as we gained other knowledge along the way.

I think of it as just the collective knowledge of the civilization. Those things were learned in past generations, and were passed on to the next generation.

I also have a strong interest in the subject of reincarnation (I'm skeptical of the truth of it, but the subject is fascinating). Some people say that souls like to reincarnate in the same general places and cultures in which they lived in past lives.
But, we do normally forget those past lives. Even if a child remembers their past lives, they tend to forget it as they grow up.
Seems to me forgetting our past lives (in real life, theoretically) insures that we don't fixate on our past life families, enemies, and grudges and neglect our current life family and purpose. Forgetting helps us move on and keep learning new things.

So yeah, implementing a way for players to "forget" their past lives would, generally, be helpful.

#7 2018-04-06 03:29:43

Gederian

I think this won't be an issue if the game reaches a zenith of thousands of people playing on the same server with vast civilizations spanning hundreds of millions of tiles. Right now the game is pretty much still in beta and the player numbers are limited so it's easy to find your way back.

Board footer