One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-07 21:30:56

Tarr
Banned

A little confused.

So if you weren't paying attention to the last QoL fixes update we got some changes to scrapping steel items and new items we can scrap. I'm a bit confused on why there needed to be a pencil requirement to scrap steel as now it undoes the ability to undo mistakes in early camps with someone smithing accidental extra tool heads or it allows people to purposely grief all the steel into pickax heads. This part of the update seems really REALLY bad and unneeded in my opinion. Pencil requirement seems bad, and either could be removed or changed to using just a piece of charcoal to mark the bowl.

Also what was the thought process behind what you can and can't recycle now? I'm seeing you can now pretty much take a nearly full diesel engine and just scrap it which doesn't seem helpful AT ALL. I don't ever think having the ability to troll that hard in game is worth the possibility of getting one steel bar back for over six pieces of steel invested in the item. Also are there some clear oversights or are you being malicious again Jason? You can't recycle steel rods (used to make swords), can't recycle either of the fuel nozzle bits (body and injector), and can't recycle the wick housing. Like it makes sense to have all the single parts to be recyclable but the following items do not make sense to be scrapped in my opinion:

https://onetech.info/2376-Diesel-Piston-Head
https://onetech.info/2379-Diesel-Cylinder-Head
https://onetech.info/2380-Diesel-Cylind … ith-Valves
https://onetech.info/2381-Diesel-Cylind … -One-Valve

Like I'm glad most of the base steel parts are recyclable now but 90% of this "QoL" update just seems like it's about enabling ways to grief or adding in noob traps for whatever reason. I thought the whole idea of removing noob traps were to make the game better or is this just some rough edges sort of stuff added to make the game worse?

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-07 21:59:19)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-07-07 21:45:36

HumboldtStoneHoe

Re: A little confused.

Yes, Jason is being a huge and difficult malice right now.

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#3 2019-07-07 21:55:03

MultiLife

Oh my sweet Jebus, this sounds bad. I thought things were pretty swell as they were? I noticed we needed a "scrap bowl" today and was like "whuh, is that specifically for recycling steel springs or something", not knowing it's a new thing, then a player looked it up, got a pen and THEN we could recycle the iron. It was weird. Really unintuitive. Really confusing, and one can make a pen ONLY with a knife right...?

I dunno, why not add a smelting pot or something...

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-07 21:58:07)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#4 2019-07-07 22:06:32

Tarr
Banned

He added the scraping bowl to fight back against accidentally scraping engine parts but why are they scrapable in the first place? The base parts 100% make sense to scrap as I've accidentally made to many or hit a piston an extra time before myself. However, he seemingly went overboard on what you can scrap which is why he needed a scrap bowl in the first place.

I definitely think the bowl thing should be changed back with the onetech linked items being removed from the recycle list while steel rods, fuel nozzle body (not injector), and wick housing all being added to the recycle list. To go further I would ask to remove the lock and key items be removed from the recycle list as they're just trap options if you don't know you can blank a lock then take the two parts apart and recycle them individually. Basically if you don't know any better you'll waste steel every time you remove a lock and recycle it.

https://onetech.info/1002-Duplicate-Lock-and-Key-10
https://onetech.info/911-Lock-and-Key-Blank
https://onetech.info/912-Lock-and-Key-10

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-07-08 01:55:57

Bob 101

Seems to have done the opposite of what's intended lol.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-08 01:57:30)

#6 2019-07-08 02:04:32

AdelaSkarupa

I like that Jason makes big changes. But the scrap bowl was confusing. Someone who doesn't realize it exists would just think he removed scrap steel.

#7 2019-07-08 02:17:17

Tarr
Banned

I don't mind he makes changes, especially when it's to something that was sorely needed (being able to scrap extra pistons/pipes/etc) but by basically allowing someone to recycle nearly finished items it ends up being taken a little too far. Like I am all for quality of life upgrades to things but who is messing up an engine so bad that you have spare diesel piston heads of all things? At that point it's better to just finish up the second engine and make a car or something fun rather than converting six steel back into one.

The scrap bowl change is definitely not something we needed in my opinion. Sure I have accidentally scrapped something before but most of the time it takes very little time to reforge something you scrap (hence why the items that take the most time/effort shouldn't be scrapped in the first place.)

It seems like his heart was in the right place but it was just executed a little weakly.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-07-08 03:09:06

AdelaSkarupa

Tarr wrote:

I don't mind he makes changes, especially when it's to something that was sorely needed (being able to scrap extra pistons/pipes/etc) but by basically allowing someone to recycle nearly finished items it ends up being taken a little too far. Like I am all for quality of life upgrades to things but who is messing up an engine so bad that you have spare diesel piston heads of all things? At that point it's better to just finish up the second engine and make a car or something fun rather than converting six steel back into one.

The scrap bowl change is definitely not something we needed in my opinion. Sure I have accidentally scrapped something before but most of the time it takes very little time to reforge something you scrap (hence why the items that take the most time/effort shouldn't be scrapped in the first place.)

It seems like his heart was in the right place but it was just executed a little weakly.

I do remember a time when i had an extra piston I wanted to scrap. But that's pretty rare. I think it would make more sense if the item stayed intact until you lid the crucible. That way, you could recover in case of a mistake.

#9 2019-07-08 03:20:09

ollj

its a bit too obfuscated, just like the wehole game.

#10 2019-07-08 04:12:11

AdelaSkarupa

ollj wrote:

its a bit too obfuscated, just like the wehole game.

Points for using the word obfuscated.

#11 2019-07-08 04:16:10

RodneyC86

In Chinese we have a saying. Scratching your left ear with your right hand. It seems like this approach is his favourite

#12 2019-07-08 06:37:09

Dodge

I think he just made it automatically with all the sub category being scrappable, definitly should be changed, only the single parts should be scrappable and the mounted parts should be dismountable.

#13 2019-07-08 06:41:43

AdelaSkarupa

Dodge wrote:

I think he just made it automatically with all the sub category being scrappable, definitly should be changed, only the single parts should be scrappable and the mounted parts should be dismountable.

Most engine parts would still be scrappable by this description.

#14 2019-07-08 08:11:23

Tarr
Banned

Dodge wrote:

I mean that's the most logical thing for him to do tbh. Pretty sure he went through and did it manually though since I wouldn't assume things like the injectors/nozzle body, wick housing, or the steel rods would get skipped over if it was something automatic but who knows.

fug it’s Tarr.

#15 2019-07-08 08:21:04

Dodge

Tarr wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I mean that's the most logical thing for him to do tbh. Pretty sure he went through and did it manually though since I wouldn't assume things like the injectors/nozzle body, wick housing, or the steel rods would get skipped over if it was something automatic but who knows.

Open a github they shouldn't be scrappable, he plans on making github stuff when he comes back from taiwan anyway

#16 2019-07-08 10:40:04

Thaulos

I actually prefer to have the ability to recycle most of those. The amount of unfinished motor parts can be really annoying sometimes.

That said, if Jason was able to add a sort of counter to the resulting steel one can take out of the scrap bowl it would be really great. So if you recycled "Diesel Cylinder Head with One Valve" or "Lock and Key $10" you would get two steel from the bowl instead of just one.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-07-08 10:40:25)

#17 2019-07-09 07:19:44

Tarr
Banned

Okay got confirmation from Jason that it was an oversight on his part to miss certain steel items with the steel rod being a pretty huge miss. Apparently he does plan on letting all the bits and pieces to be taken apart but since it was more work than making them recyclable he just went with a quick fix instead of a full fix.

So while I still don't agree with being able to toss such huge diesel parts into a scraping bowl it will eventually get fixed. Also still don't like the idea of scraping bowl being required for the eve tech steel as requiring a pencil can lead to trolling.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer