One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-02 12:06:06

miskas

To high rank Players! / What do you do to keep your rank High?

*use this format to answer.

Mikey Ackert  1st Rank: 53.4922

As a baby:
>I am polite and thankful (say hi, ty, respond with love and emotes)
>I am asking for clothes
>I am constantly monitoring my temperature to be near perfect by entering in and out of the fire
>I am saying F whenever I perceive that the last mother is about to leave to do some work.

As a Child:
> I start building a yum chain while I'm scouting the village for clothes while gathering information about our resources and tech state.
        -find the nearest berry farm
        -take a bowl, put a berry in, start scouting with food in hand
> I always move around with my next Yum food in bowl/basket 
        -find stacked corn put it in my bowl make popcorn, eat one leave it by fire
        -Lucky to found green beans? put them in a bowl, eat one leave it by fire
        -take a basket, carrot in it and sharp stone.
        -pick up corn, clean it, eat it.
>I am not an adult yet but now I have a yum chain, some clothes, a complete view on my village resources and needs. Start on working to fill those needs.
        - compost Soil
        - berry farm
        - Carrot farm
        - stew farm (If low on corn start by replenishing the corn)

As an Adult:
        I can carry a cart now.

>if Male I go outside of town (prioritize only what my town is lacking leave the rest)
        -backpack
        -kindling
        -wood
        -Logs
        -Iron
  >while out of town I build my yum chain by collecting food for later use.
  >If Above needs are met I start crafting and evolving
        - Smith Tools, water pumps and engines
        - farm milkweed
        - Planting a forest close to Forge for a constant source of kindling and crafting. (Maple trees and Curved branch trees)

>If a Female I stay in town unless we really lacking one of the above resources then I act as a male until I have my first bb.
        -Cooking different kinds of pies to keep the yum chain also I cook some bread and Muton
         -Making different kinds of Stews
         -Cook some rabbits, eggs
        -Smithing tools ( Prioritise Hoes, Shovels and what in need)
        -Farming

As a Mother:
> I start making clothes and Backpacks
     -Farm Lambs for thread and poop
     -Ask from a male to hunt rabbits to show him Tites ^^

Last edited by miskas (2019-07-02 13:34:10)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-07-02 12:29:53

InSpace

Re: To high rank Players! / What do you do to keep your rank High?

Me as a puny baby: say lol if someone dies or something bad happens to keep up morale of fellow players.

Me as a dumb child: Grab all the clothes you can find, ask fellow players for their clothes because you are better at the game than them. Don't do any yum stuff since it's a waste of time.

Me as a young adulter: Full rabbit fur clothing, ask for a knife so you can s̶t̶a̶b̶ make rubber wheels and put on your cart.

Rest of your life: Clean up base from skeletons, worms and shit people dump everywhere, collect resources and improve the town by building big rooms used for kitchens, smithing etc and roads.

Before dying: LEAVE TOWN SO NONE HAS TO CLEAN UP MY SHITTY BONES. Before that I give my clothes to a babby and say my farewell.

This is 95% of my lives, no joke

#3 2019-07-02 13:23:08

D3mon1cblack

to keep my score high? erm life to 60 and help out town as mutch as you can is my strat a.k.a. no time to talk have to work XD

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#4 2019-07-02 14:10:37

RodneyC86

InSpace wrote:

Me as a puny baby: say lol if someone dies or something bad happens to keep up morale of fellow players.

Me as a dumb child: Grab all the clothes you can find, ask fellow players for their clothes because you are better at the game than them. Don't do any yum stuff since it's a waste of time.

Me as a young adulter: Full rabbit fur clothing, ask for a knife so you can s̶t̶a̶b̶ make rubber wheels and put on your cart.

Rest of your life: Clean up base from skeletons, worms and shit people dump everywhere, collect resources and improve the town by building big rooms used for kitchens, smithing etc and roads.

Before dying: LEAVE TOWN SO NONE HAS TO CLEAN UP MY SHITTY BONES. Before that I give my clothes to a babby and say my farewell.

This is 95% of my lives, no joke

Hey man, you are shaking it all wrong =P

As a baby: don't do weird stuff, smile when being talked to, say Ty when clothed. Don't worry be happy

As a child: male: prepare a basket of snares, if you can, get an older member to pass down a BP to you. Try to get fully clothed before adulthood, if you don't have in town - get own rabbits

Female: basic berry carrot and shepherding

Adult: male: being furs for everyone if they are all running around naked ( I find this is a very frequent issue in many towns) , prioritize your immediate family though

Female: stock up on pies! Lots of them, enough for two generations if you can! Keep an eye on them too

Elderly: meh same as adult

Its basic, don't overthink it, food and clothing equals longevity barring any water circumstances, but that's special situation

#5 2019-07-02 21:30:05

DarkDrak

Get lucky and have only people who live long in your direct lineage. That's about it.
Since lots of people dislike big cities and lots of people dislike eve camps, i find it easier to be done in a newcommen era villege. The era where there arent enough resources for cosmetic stuff like cars and radios, but still enough freedom to get creative.
Dont try to have many descendents. if you're the ancestor of douzens of gens, eventually your score will be slaughered by all the starving kids and running banies. Ideally get only boys and maybe one girl, who hopefully wont farm girls. If they're old gen players, they'll live to 60; if they're noobs, teach them some easy stuff like farming, stew brewing, compost and instruct them to live a layed back life. hopefully they'll live at least to fourty, surrounded by food as they are.
If your daughter/son is afk, feed the hell out of them until you die and instruct their siblings to do the same. You want them to die old even if it's a waste of resources.
If you're lucky, your offspring will be mostly boys and die out in a few gens, before the town either dies or becomes boring for those who hate big places.
Be lucky not to get greifers or wars in your town, at least until your offspring dies out.
Also make sure that at least someone in the town is baking.

Ironicly the score isnt about helping your town, it's about avoiding to get people who can slaughter it.

Also, dont ride on a horse if you're a fertile woman. If you get a baby, you'll either gotta have a painful trip back or you get your score down by 3-5 at once.

Edit: Gotta say though that it's completely pointless to try and keep your score high. In-game it's a system that gives ONLY benefits, no matter your position and those benefits pretty much only help you avoid starvation when young and to work in the last 5 minutes of your life even without a 20 yum streak to keep you from having to get a berry every 30 secs. Eventually the score just stabilizes around 30, which gives more than food bars to do that. Trying to go beyound that point is not worth the effort.

Last edited by DarkDrak (2019-07-02 21:39:11)

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#6 2019-07-02 21:36:15

ollj

playing for ranking is more boring than a hipster.

this treat is valuable for very general gameplay tips.
but i dont think the ranking system should be the main motivator for this, because that scoring system is just way too random to give a shit about.
i was scored 14th once, just because i got lucky with smart families.
i could not care less if i am 250th or 700th, or 20th. my scoring is just random like that, and the DIRECT ingame effect of it is absolutely neglible. not onve on 30 lifes was it making a noticable difference becond having to eat 2 WILD berries less.

The indirect effect of it hoever is not, as this threat shows.
unless your family lives in the tutorial zone, where mothers are too much in awe to give a fuck for raising children, and the snake pits pf the tutorial zone are just too easy to use for child or self sacrifice.
that is, untill i killed ALL the snakes there, around generation 20.

-

InSpace sounds like a lovely cynic, but claims to be cinciere. that is so sad.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-02 21:44:09)

#7 2019-07-03 01:21:36

WomanWizard

As others have mentioned, a lot of the scoring is just dumb luck. Currently I'm at number 24 (Hazelgrace Rudow) but before my most recent game I was in 213th place. That's how finicky the system is, that you can jump hundreds of numbers in one game just because you were lucky/unlucky. But if it is something you care about, there are ways that you can increase your chances of hitting those higher ranks more often.

Learn to consistently make it to 60 yourself. There are too many factors in this one to list here, and there have been many conversations about it in the past, so I'm not going to bother.

Don't slash die. I tried it over the weekend to see what would happen. Dropped another massive chunk in the leaderboard.

Don't play after an update. Eve camps and repopulating old villages are perfect places to lose most of your children/nieces/nephews. Again, I logged in around an update specifically to see what would happen and went from 50th place to nearly 400th because the town I was born into was full of Eves and war swords.

How to keep your rank high? Get it up there and stop playing. Seriously. One bad game that you have no control over and you will drop significantly. I'm not likely to play for a few days because of work so I will probably stay near 20-25th place for a while simply because I'm not out there rolling the dice.

With all that in mind, just be friendly, play for the success of your town, and try not to worry about it. The leaderboard is an interesting tool, but hardly an accurate measure of real skill.

#8 2019-07-03 04:44:37

ollj

or turn the leaderboard upside down, and just aim for the lowest ranking!
due to dumb luck, its pretty much the same challenge.to aim for the lowest placement.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-03 04:44:53)

#9 2019-07-03 12:21:13

Thaulos

Score can vary a lot with a single life.

I had a string of really bad lifes (2 times male with no sisters) with my score on the gutter. And then got a good life and reached top 10. Then got murdered by my great uncle at 13 and dropped a lot too.

Variation too large to mean anything right now.

To answer the question I just do what ai normally do: get clothing for everyone; try talking to babies to get them invested in this life (like the story of the badass granma or how we still had eve grave); try to teach new players how to plant berries and whatnot while keeping an eye out for urgent stufff that might kill the town like berries not being replanted or no pies prepared in kitchen.

Also kill murderers when I'm fairly sure they are a danger to minimize casualities (after properly warning everyone about what is happening so I dont get cursed or revenge killed).

One thing I don't do often, but should, is to work on those pads. I'm sure they can make the difference between a bad gene score and an awesome one.

Last edited by Thaulos (2019-07-03 12:23:55)

#10 2019-07-03 14:48:07

HumboldtStoneHoe

some organically brewed kombucha and a seamless good night's sleep does me wonders, gamers

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

Board footer