One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-07-01 11:07:15

JonySky
Website

Re: [Problem] Culture doesn't persist; what if Kings and Queens aged slow?

71 wrote:
MultiLife wrote:

...And I'm again in the loop of "in order to get this, I need this resource, which is gone again, and now I need to get that too". Tiresome.

I think what really needs to be done for the sake of the tech tree and for the sake of enabling more teamwork and culture, is creating the ability to have multiple characters pulling/pushing/lifting the same object at once. For a real-life example see the ancient Egyptian sled-pulling team:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ … A9tep2.jpg

If getting enough people together and working on the same project at one time was the primary rate limiting factor in terms of construction and technological advancement, Jason wouldn't have to rely so heavily on tedium and resource scarcity to slow progress. It also means you're spending far more time side-by-side in a cooperative manner with other players and have a chance to actually socialize and accomplish something together.

Assuming most of these sort of 'teamwork' projects only needs one person to actually direct movements and everyone else is just providing dumb labor, it ends up being new player friendly. Most of the team is just letting their character be controlled by the lead character so they're free to ask questions and learn how things go together to make something useful. There would also be a lot more of experienced players actively seeking out others to help them do something, whereas now, I don't think I've ever had someone walk up to me and ask me to help them do something. This creates an informal currency of favor trading which is the bedrock of any good community.

Even with the simplest form of this sort of project of just dragging huge boulders or blocks around, you end up creating the opportunity for custom Stonehenge-style religious sites or massive stone temples that dozens if not hundreds of characters helped create and is inherently resistant to griefer destruction.

----

I do realize what I'm describing would likely not be simple to code, or it would already exist, but I do still think it would be worth putting in a few months of work to make it happen. The cumulative impact of bringing people together to work on a common task (as opposed to separate, parallel tasks) shouldn't be underestimated.

YES, have long commented that it is necessary to create several cooperative tasks among several players

I always imagined a group of 5 people pulling ropes to move a large 1X6 wall to wall the city more efficiently
Collaborative works will prevent players from only carrying out their personal projects without having to interact with anyone

We are playing a game of family survival and multiplayer where most of our games do not relate to anyone ... contradictory ...
Sometimes my only conversation is the first "HI" with my mother and nothing else ... from here there is not much more interaction between players (unless an assassin enters the scene)

Anyway, when I talk about unique articles to generate multigenerational culture, I'm not talking about creating objects ...
If they can be created, they are no longer unique ...

I talk about finding them ... having to explore the map to find the only object that will benefit your whole family
Maybe that unique object requires doing something different every several generations to make it work ... (sacrifice a son or a sheep ... for example)
This object every several generations announces the following requirement ... in this way someone has to leave the notice of what the next generation will need to do

It's just an idea ... but it's like a kind of event that in order for the "prize" to work, it needs to be extended by the lineage

Board footer