https://ytcropper.com/cropped/sI5d1561451e868
https://youtu.be/sIqz5xmQKnc?t=1114

GlF8037.png

That hurt.

https://ytcropper.com/cropped/sI5d15622eb87d4
https://youtu.be/sIqz5xmQKnc?t=1222

FvBF6cO.png

That helped, but I still hurt.

Imagine someone talking like that about Mozart, or Bobby Fischer, Isaac Newton or George Washington.
Imagine it's someone they cared about, someone that made the piano they fell in love with, or the inventor of Chess. Imagine it was their teacher, or someone that brought them to a new land.

"...way overboard..."

I recognize this game is a different experience for each of us.

Sure, I'm not the best player.
I don't use all sorts of mods, wikis and spreadsheets, to track locations or plan out builds.
I don't make engines or even bake pies; you're all so eager to do those things, so often.
I just try to set a good example for my kids.
I keep them them warm while I work.

I try to make sure they are clothed and know where the rabbits are, so they can do the same for their own children.
I make sure my mother knows I am grateful for her care, by telling her I love her.
Just as I make sure my kids know, before they get absorbed by everything else, that I love them.

That's more important to me than water, soil or steel.
That's why I'm here.

This is my version, of anti-chess.
I'm here to put pieces on the board and to help others do the same.

These two things; bringing life into the world, and caring for it.
That's all I really want to do.
I like making roads and clothes, but those things don't compare to holding a child, to working and raising them simultaneously.

You did a good job making a game of it.

But this is something greater than music, and certainly greater than chess. Even greater than science, or, settling space.

Not your game; life.

I appreciate the mention though (as well as your concern), as I do your acknowledgement of Twisted and Draegast (Drae).
I'm sure there are nods to others who've lived and worked with this game. I appreciate everything, every one of you, has contributed.

I do love all of you involved in this, but I love all life, so, you're in my heart, by nature of your existence.
I'm grateful for this chance, to know, and have known, each of you, as my mother, my child, and the men of each of our families.

IkZg5pA.jpg

Way over board...

All you willing to go 'overboard' with anything, I thank you.
Your courage and disregard for convention, are stars in the sky.

#2 2019-06-28 14:09:39

CatX

Re: One Life

It's been a great pleasure playing with some of you. You don't know who you are. Neither do I. smile

Thanks for the link to Jason's talk, Morti, it was interesting!

#3 2019-06-28 20:57:06

Joseph Stalin

lol "overboard" morti you've played 79 days total

#4 2019-06-29 21:32:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sorry Morti

As we near the millionth hour that human beings have spent playing OHOL, I must admit that I do have mixed feelings about this.

It has been great to make something so successful that so many people love.  On the other hand, I can't help but wonder how a million hours of intelligent human ingenuity could have been better spent.

You in particular are one of the smartest people on the planet.

#5 2019-06-30 08:26:47

Kitaelia

Morti wrote:

All you willing to go 'overboard' with anything, I thank you.
Your courage and disregard for convention, are stars in the sky.

I went back and forth over whether to reply to Jason's comment here OR create a new thread.
I didn't wish to detract from or derail Morti's thread, because I tend to get a bit whimsical and wordy now and then..
However after re-reading Morti's post, I decided that my reply to Jason could be at home here. smile

jasonrohrer wrote:

As we near the millionth hour that human beings have spent playing¹ OHOL ...

... I can't help but wonder how a million hours of intelligent human ingenuity² could have been better spent.

1. Play is essential for creativity to thrive. Play helps us learn how to learn.

2. Creativity is essential for putting human ingenuity to use in creating beneficial advancements in society.

No matter what, humans are going to play.
And I believe that is wonderful because it means we will continue to grow.

I like to think of playing video games as similar to listening to music.
I can turn on my favorite streaming platform, put on a random playlist, and ingest songs like fast food or fine dining.

- Some songs I can listen to haphazardly and not really give much thought to the experience in the moment.
- And then I can listen to a song that suddenly soaks into the very fabric of who I am and awakens my soul.

Movies, books, and video games have also given me experiences like this.
Some are fast food. Some are fine dining.
All are experiences we are having within ourselves and with each other.

You have mixed feelings about one million hours people have spent playing OHOL, and that's good!
Humans are messy and mixed and terrible and wonderful!

One million hours playing One Hour One Life gives me so much hope for the future and evolution of gaming.
Niche games that make you think as much as OHOL does have been desperately needed for so long.
And I don't mean "A + B = C" type of thinking. I mean "open up my soul and figure out what makes it tick" type of thinking.
The deep stuff. The human stuff.

OHOL may only be a game. But this is only life. And we are only human. Even virtual.

One million hours nurturing each other.
One million hours angering each other.
One million hours learning with each other.
One million hours failing with each other.
One million hours feeling emotions with each other.
One million hours building with each other.
One million hours hating each other.
One million hours growing with each other.
One million hours dying with each other.
One million hours loving each other.
One million hours inspiring each other.
One million hours achieving with each other.
One million hours experiencing life with each other.
One million hours being human with each other.

That is something to be celebrated!

So thank you, Jason, for sharing your art and soul with us and letting us experience it with you.
_____

"You will simply become completely absorbed in sound,
and therefore you will find yourself living in an eternal now,
in which there is no past, and there is no future,
it all becomes one doing, one happening"

"When we make music, we do it to improve your mind,
to improve your character, and brings us into a state of peace
where we can understand that the point of life is simply here and now.
The journey itself is the point.
The playing itself is the point."

-Alan Watts via Rameses B - Meaning of Life

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#6 2019-06-30 13:40:59

Ilka

Morti and Kitaelia, what you wrote is really wise.

Why do people think that the time in which they do what they like is time wasted?
The only time wasted is the time in which we do something that we do not enjoy - time of boring duties, time of waiting, time in which we think: "When will it finally end?"
The time of fun is always something we gain, we do not lose.

#7 2019-06-30 17:56:19

ollj

chess is a dumb memory game, a significantly worse game than GO

#8 2019-06-30 23:08:29

Kitaelia

Ilka wrote:

The only time wasted is the time in which we do something that we do not enjoy - time of boring duties, time of waiting, time in which we think: "When will it finally end?"

Sometimes it might feel like wasted time, though it is all about how we perceive it.
I have grown to appreciate those moments for what they are and what they teach me:

Boring duties and times of waiting can feel boring and slow, because they are the mundane things that aren't particularly exciting or challenging.
House cleaning, yardwork, errand running, waiting for a doctor appointment etc.
These moments are great for learning and practicing self reflection, imagination, and patience.
Many of my best ideas and thoughts come during these moments!

I definitely do not enjoy deep cleaning the bathroom.
But I appreciate the opportunity to try and create my own fun while doing it. big_smile

Ilka wrote:

The time of fun is always something we gain, we do not lose.

This is 100% truth!
Unless we count sleep..
I tend to lose sleep when I'm hooked on a game. tongue
No regrets!

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#9 2019-07-02 10:07:37

Morti

jasonrohrer wrote:

As we near the millionth hour that human beings have spent playing OHOL, I must admit that I do have mixed feelings about this.

It has been great to make something so successful that so many people love.  On the other hand, I can't help but wonder how a million hours of intelligent human ingenuity could have been better spent.

7.8 billion hours, every hour.
8760 hours per year
68.3 trillion hours a year.
1e6 / 68.3e12 = 1.46412884e-8 = 0.00000146% of human time.

Meanwhile there are 20 million people around the world active in their country's military.
20e6*8760 = 175,200,000,000 hours / year
1.75e11/68.3e12 = 0.00256222547 = 0.256222547% of human time, spent: waiting to kill, be killed by, or in the process of killing, each other, over the last year.

And those are just the hours we acknowledge. The ones we're supposed to take pride in.

Many people struggling through poverty, who's most valuable possessions are concealable firearms, spend a large amount of their life thinking about murder, all around the world. But hear in America, it's most obvious those people are the descendants of slaves, brought here from Africa against their will. A habit our European ancestors adopted from Middle Eastern invaders.

Here in my town, I see soda can boxes stacked in messages like REMEMBER and NEVER FORGET in the weeks leading to the 4th of July and now, in the weeks leading up to the 11th of September.

Remember what? How fat an unhealthy Coke, Pepsi and Dr. Pepper have made us?

Never forget that religion can make murder, slavery and rape okay?

REMEMBER what? NEVER FORGET what?

That Kings and Queens are bad, but that Microsoft and Amazon are good?

Forgive me, this is a very disturbing time of year for me. Right up there with Christmas and Easter, when the pot is stirred and all the bad things get mixed back in with the good. But it's okay, at least we have Chinese fireworks to celebrate American freedom.

jasonrohrer wrote:

You in particular are one of the smartest people on the planet.

Reminded me of

jasonrohrer wrote:

It is clear to me that you are way smarter than I am.  It is also clear that you are a bigger fool...

Jason Rohrer, December 5th, 2018 -via email

Hard to take such a compliment when you have been so quick to take it back, in the past.
What's the point of calling someone smart anyway? Why bother assuming anyone's intelligence at all?

It's okay, I wish more people weren't afraid to be called fools. 20 year old me would have taken a lot more offense to being called one, that's for sure.

It's not easy to be honest with the world, when so much hinges on our opinions of each other. So much depends on being socially acceptable, right down to finding someone who loves you and having a family vs dying alone. I don't want to die alone, but I'm not going to bite my tongue to avoid it. I'll die being honest, whether that makes me a fool or not... and it does.

--

When I read this post, the first thing I did was make a gif. Maybe the first gif I've ever made...

I read this

jasonrohrer wrote:

I can't help but wonder how a million hours of intelligent human ingenuity could have been better spent.

It made me think of that scene from Around the World with Dot and the piece of music Pogo made about it.

So I made this pbVgstJ.gif

but I just had to respond to that hours wasted part... and the mention of intelligence.

I wish I could just be content, for one year.

Maybe in Tibet, the Sahara, or out in the Pacific Ocean. Just give me enough water, food and air to go live on the Moon, Mars, or even to drift in space, away from the Solar System and I'll begin seeding the rest of the universe with some of Earth's finest gut bacteria.

Imagine falling through the clouds of Jupiter, with a greater than zero chance that your cells might kickstart life there.

Why are we not seeding the rest of the solar system with our lives yet?

Board footer