One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-30 05:38:45

FeignedSanity

To people who are much more familiar with radios than I am.

What is the difference between high, medium, and low frequency transmitters and receivers? Does it work like some kind of channel (channel 1, 2, or 3)? Or does it just have to do with the distance at which they can be used? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I just wanted to see if someone could confirm. Also if you could list any general grievances with radios as they currently are (just AM radios). I am already familiar with how easy they are to grief.

I figured not many people except those that play on low population servers with other discord users would know stuff like this, because they'd be the only ones who could realistically make full use of them. And since I am not one of those people, I figured I'd try to ask those people. I might also just ask on discord, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here too.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-06-30 05:39:12)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2019-06-30 10:55:10

ollj

Re: To people who are much more familiar with radios than I am.

https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Radio
Adding either a long, medium, or short Antenna will set the frequency to Low, Medium, or High respectively. Speak into an AM Transmitter set to the same frequency to test if the receiver works. The Antenna can be removed again to choose a different frequency.

not sure if antenna length affets radio range, thechnically and gameplay wise it should.

---

simple radio lessons are (you may want to write ingame notes of these):
- radios translate text between foreigners, that otherwise do not understand each other.
- build the reciever first, your city is unlikely the first with a transmitter within range. but another cities transmitter is likely within range, and then you have a listening post for espionage.
- radio parts need a lot of copper and high tech tools to be build. if you want radios, get the blue crumply ores, like at least 30 of them, and lots of kindling.
- build the reciever first, your city is unlikely the first with a transmitter within range.  but another cities transmitter is likely within range.
- the base of the transmitter can not be picked up, the reviecer (and all other radio parts)can be moved, but not be put in carts/containers.
- build the reciever first, your city is unlikely the first with a transmitter within range.
- lock up the reciever, or completely wall it in, it is likely to be sabotaged/stolen/displaced.
- build the reciever first, your city is unlikely the first with a transmitter within range.
- the transmitter should not be in a busy place, this just spams and it gives away too much valuable information, that you may want to keep secretive.
- the transmitter should have a free space around it, roughly 7x7 tiles, to store a lot of letters in, you can at least share old historic documents via radio.
- try placing the reciever close to the transmitter, because
- - this makes city-to-city communication faster. it rarely happens, but it did happen during the last week?
- - radios translate foreign languages, so when a single visitor comes, and naively rushes in with a weapon to get killed, you can teach him to say his final curses trough the ratio, if reciever and transmitter are close together. this is always fun for everyone inviolved, like, say your final words to be understood at last.
- in theory, you only need one battery, and you have a half-duplex radio, where you just can not send and recieve at the same time, but can switch between both and do both byswapping the battery. this saves you a lot of materials and time.
- and finally; build the reciever first, your city is unlikely the first with a transmitter within range.

like seruiously, a ratio of 10 transmitters to 1 recievers is what i keep seeing, and its just silly. it should be the other way around.

also, if there is a war happening, be VERY careful what you say close to a radio, because once again, the radio transmits and translates unfiltered.
i just guerillia warfare killed 10 people in the bell city on my own, and rang the bell. They were just bad fighters, i didnt need ranged weapons at all, they never hunted me far, or in large numbers, and i was already too old to run away in a hunt, to that would have killed me easily.
They told me through their radio, how many of them where at least currently at the radio, if any new baby was born near the radio, how scared they where, if they where begging for pads and threat, what they thought to know about me, and if they where trying to hunt me, in what direction they currently suspected me to be, as they spread multiple recievers all over their town where i could listen to them whine and die, which sure assisted my guerillia war.

and thats how you can use 4 radios, one transmitter and 3 recievers, spread all over, to enable one person to murder everyone in the bell city with the "library of jobs".
[the art of suivide] involves radios in its final form.

---

physically, high frequency radio signal allows to send more information per time, but with shorter distance limits. the antennas are usually smaller here, like many small mobile phone antennas. this is up to microwave-lengths.
physically, low frequency signnals allow less information but higher range, the antennas are usually larger here (and higher up), like huge radio towers, usually only one per city, usually on top of muntain peaks. wavelenths are closer to a meter long here.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-30 11:23:45)

#3 2019-07-11 20:39:17

FeignedSanity

Partially a bump.

@ollj

I know how all of that stuff works. I know how to make them and change the frequencies, but I'm asking what makes the frequencies different. I've never been able to test stuff like their range, so I was wondering if anyone else had. I guess that's kind of my fault for accidentally making myself sound more ignorant than I really am; but I appreciate the effort you put into your response.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-07-11 20:41:57)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#4 2019-07-12 00:57:01

BladeWoods

It's essentially channels. Low, medium, and high frequency are three different channels.

The range on every channel is global as far as I know.

#5 2019-07-12 10:53:38

ollj

because radio communication wasnt hard enough, we needed multiple channels, as jason is a griefing god.

#6 2019-07-12 18:07:54

Tarr
Banned

ollj wrote:

because radio communication wasnt hard enough, we needed multiple channels, as jason is a griefing god.

There are different channels so you aren't receiving garbled text when you try to talk between towns. In an ideal world (basically impossible for ohol) one town will have one type of transmitter and two to three receivers. You should have a speaking transmitter as one type and your receiver(s) should be the other types to prevent trying to talk over each other on the receivers.

This of course means ideal towns need to be set up like:

Town A.
-High Transmitter
-Low Receiver

Town B.
-Low Transmitter
-High Receiver

But of course this is way too much to expect out of randoms doing stuff as only the receivers are easy to fool around with (since its just changing an antenna vs changing capacitors which takes much more effort.)  So basically to make sure everyone is on the correct settings you either need a whole lot of guessing OR communication outside of the game and at that point why do you even want radios? I don't think having multiple channels is a bad thing at all since it allows you to talk and listen at the same time vs trying to read chat bubbles that get mixed up.

However, due to constant wilderness reclamation and how easy it is to grief radio stuff they're basically toys you shouldn't ever make.

FeignedSanity wrote:

What is the difference between high, medium, and low frequency transmitters and receivers? Does it work like some kind of channel (channel 1, 2, or 3)? Or does it just have to do with the distance at which they can be used? I'm pretty sure it's the latter, but I just wanted to see if someone could confirm. Also if you could list any general grievances with radios as they currently are (just AM radios). I am already familiar with how easy they are to grief.

I figured not many people except those that play on low population servers with other discord users would know stuff like this, because they'd be the only ones who could realistically make full use of them. And since I am not one of those people, I figured I'd try to ask those people. I might also just ask on discord, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here too.

All channels are global. They work exactly how you think they would work in game: channel 1 vs channel 2 vs channel 3. I thought it was just a distance thing originally but it's just so if they ever were used (LOL) you could talk in between towns without everyone making gibberish essentially.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-12 18:11:19)

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer