One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-24 01:41:18

sinfulcliche

Is It Worth Living In A Dead Village?

Hi everyone! Not sure if any of you remember me, I was pretty quiet anyway, but I've been slowly getting back into the game. The village I was born into was having a big drought, with the only water available coming from a single newcomen pump. I don't know how it happened, it was coal powered and then suddenly it was a kerosene powered pump? I'm not sure if that happened on its own or someone deliberately changed it. Anyway the bushes were dying and all the new babies /died in panic, and it looked like all the young men and women were suiciding too. I was a young boy myself, and though I did consider taking my clothes off and running in the snow, I wanted to try my best to get kerosene and save the village. I'd never made an oil drilling rig before so I wanted to challenge myself. I didn't pay much attention as I was frantically galloping back and fourth, cutting stone, and making rubber. During that time the village's fate was sealed as the only people left were old women and men. I kept diligently working though, I knew even if the village was dead I'd have this experience under my belt, as well as fresh tanks of kerosene for anyone that may come across the village in the future. As I was just about to smith the drill bit a boy came up to me and said there was a murder and wanted me to come see it. I humored him but as soon as I arrived at the scene he stabbed me. Chanting "FOOOOD" along with like 3 other people.
I've observed that when a village dies people go crazy and start stabbing each other, because to them there's no reason for anyone to live anymore. I'm not sure if I was a victim of this, or just straight up griefing.
To me, dead villages are full of opportunity. The pressure is gone so you can just do what you want. Maybe try something you haven't before. There's something eerie and cool about wandering about a village you knew was once full of people. I've spent a few lives as the last living person in my village, just making notes for the people of the future.
So I want your opinion, is it worth living in a dead village?
My life, in case anyone wants to see it; http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4849872

#2 2019-06-24 01:52:13

Sukallinen

Re: Is It Worth Living In A Dead Village?

Nasty language you have there.

Anyhow, I'd grab a bowl with some berries (if any), find some ponds, come back and take 1-2 buckets, say "plant milkweed" and come back with full buckets. The bowl can stay there.

Next turn, cart of 4 (or 6) buckets, fill'em, ask some kids to "go find iron when grown up and we're good".

Although it seems like your town was built with a griefer (having no oil, usually oil is at generation 6..10) or especially bad location. But still, you can do a lot with ponds, they refill some every 12 minutes now. So, one of the runs with cart should be done with doing bowls only-most people do plates so you also should burn'em yourself or they'll be turned to useless plates.

Not sure I'm correct, but to best of my knowledge that's what I would've done-never /die'd but once (mother asked), usually live to 60 even alone in wilds. Or if Jason checks, maybe to 55 wink

Edit: hope is best resource, even one kid who knows what he's doing is very powerful.
Edit2: or it was too many RP'ers town, eh

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-24 01:56:07)

#3 2019-06-24 01:53:33

Grim_Arbiter

Oh hey pump bros!

If it makes you feel any better I avenged you.

revolt.jpg

They were muttering something about a workers revolt after i stabbed them.. Crown problems.. I saw they were up to something earlier and I should have put them down, but I tend to be pretty passive. I was working on the road to oil and was busy like you too, so I didn't catch them earlier.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2019-06-24 02:15:21

Jk Howling

I helped some people as best I could to get oil in a gen 7 town that was in that "the well is dry but we dont have an engine yet" stage..

It's the single area in the game in which I have little to no idea what I'm doing or where even to start lol, so I spent most of my time either observing the person who quite obviously knew what they were doing, and doing small tasks to help them [making rubber, fetching water from the semi-distant swamp, helping them carry stuff, feeding their kids, etc.].

At some point I should really learn how to make an oil rig and distiller and engine tbh.. onetech helps a bit, but there's not a lot of opportunities to put it into practice. Most civs are either on earlier tech, on later tech, or are in a water crisis and don't have time to waste walking people through the steps. Will figure out eventually.

As for whether its worth living in a dying*** [not dead yet!] village, that would depend on your own interests and knowledge, and the state of the village. I love helping a struggling village get through a bad time [eve camps and early villages are my favorite] but in the case of water issues, I don't know enough about making diesel engines to help much.

-Has ascended to better games-

#5 2019-06-24 02:22:02

sinfulcliche

Sukallinen wrote:

Next turn, cart of 4 (or 6) buckets, fill'em, ask some kids to "go find iron when grown up and we're good".

Although it seems like your town was built with a griefer (having no oil, usually oil is at generation 6..10) or especially bad location. But still, you can do a lot with ponds, they refill some every 12 minutes now. So, one of the runs with cart should be done with doing bowls only-most people do plates so you also should burn'em yourself or they'll be turned to useless plates.

Edit: hope is best resource, even one kid who knows what he's doing is very powerful.

Wow, I had no idea! I think someone did go out with buckets at some point, since there was a small lull in the sharp decline of the village where water appeared out of nowhere. I figured someone made another well? Looks like I have a lot more to catch up on than I thought.
We did have oil pretty close, about 3 tarry spots close to each other. I have no idea why nobody built a drill. I assume they just got by on using coal for the newcomen pump and nobody thought to build one.

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Oh hey pump bros!

If it makes you feel any better I avenged you.

https://i.ibb.co/8mBCWcH/revolt.jpg

They were muttering something about a workers revolt after i stabbed them.. Crown problems.. I saw they were up to something earlier and I should have put them down, but I tend to be pretty passive. I was working on the road to oil and was busy like you too, so I didn't catch them earlier.

Gahh, classic roleplay griefers. I do feel slightly better about it though, thanks for avenging me big_smile There was something about one of them stealing all the pies and clothes, but then the guy shortly came back with the cart full of clothes and just... put them back down? I don't think anyone even stole the pies, they just got eaten. Definitely some weird stuff going on. Oh well.

#6 2019-06-24 02:34:49

Sukallinen

sinfulcliche wrote:

Wow, I had no idea! I think someone did go out with buckets at some point, since there was a small lull in the sharp decline of the village where water appeared out of nowhere. I figured someone made another well? Looks like I have a lot more to catch up on than I thought.

Maybe. And maybe. You forgot the part where I said someone needs to survive to get lots of iron to get oil going. If there was that lull (either by stones to next well or bringing buckets of water) something must've stopped you (generation 24 ffs) from going to search iron.

My guess is still you were in a side-village of a town, and town had picked resources already. But yes, I'd gone for iron-apart from the part you stated there were no berries and bushes were drying of drought. To which water helps afaik..?

#7 2019-06-24 03:05:16

Azrael

Sukallinen wrote:

Nasty language you have there.

Anyhow, I'd grab a bowl with some berries (if any), find some ponds, come back and take 1-2 buckets, say "plant milkweed" and come back with full buckets. The bowl can stay there.

Not sure I'm correct, but to best of my knowledge that's what I would've done-never /die'd but once (mother asked), usually live to 60 even alone in wilds. Or if Jason checks, maybe to 55 wink

Apparently an eve who chooses a bad location is a "griefer" who is the eve griefing? Her lineage? Like that doesnt make a sense, a new player isnt a griefer for not having chosen a place near oil. Many advanced players also don't look for oil when looking for an eve base, there's only so much time an eve has.

You think you're quirky, but you're just wrong.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#8 2019-06-24 03:58:58

Sukallinen

Azrael wrote:

Apparently an eve who chooses a bad location is a "griefer" who is the eve griefing? Her lineage? Like that doesnt make a sense, a new player isnt a griefer for not having chosen a place near oil. Many advanced players also don't look for oil when looking for an eve base, there's only so much time an eve has.

Maybe. Or maybe, having three people of all discord users marked as griefer, you, a mod and one other (I let you hazard a guess) are three. But np, that's just MY discord/ohol what I've marked, and I've only chatted with, say, 300 people. Ofc it's my problem not yours.

You did miss that was generation 24 with no oil ? Need I say more ? I thought I stated most generation 8+ have oil. Or I may be wrong on that, or I may lie on that. Nice thing is, everyone can take their pick.

#9 2019-06-24 04:15:28

Morti

sinfulcliche wrote:

There's something eerie and cool about wandering about a village you knew was once full of people.

cqS5PBO.png

Cue the Toto

#10 2019-06-24 04:23:59

Azrael

Sukallinen wrote:
Azrael wrote:

Maybe. Or maybe, having three people of all discord users marked as griefer, you, a mod and one other (I let you hazard a guess) are three. But np, that's just MY discord/ohol what I've marked, and I've only chatted with, say, 300 people. Ofc it's my problem not yours.

You did miss that was generation 24 with no oil ? Need I say more ? I thought I stated most generation 8+ have oil. Or I may be wrong on that, or I may lie on that. Nice thing is, everyone can take their pick.

Ok? And? What do I have to do with what you said? if by gen 24 they dont have oil its not the eves fault at all. It's the players, doesnt mean the eve was a griefer at all. That's a baseless assumption.

Also GREAT, you marked me as a griefer, do you want a trophy or something? BTW before I came back last week, there were griefers galore and many in the discord, its not my fault you can't weed them out for yourself and "mark" them. And apparently, a mod is a griefer as well, aren't we all just amazing griefers?

Overused and not funny, calling everyone you don't like a griefer is so 2018.

Just a cool dude trying to play some OHOL and have some fun! smile

My longest most recent line: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=1360606

#11 2019-06-24 04:34:57

Morti

zd34KUi.png

Gonna take some time to do the things we never haa - aaa - aaad ooh oooh

#12 2019-06-24 05:18:34

Spoonwood

Jk Howling wrote:

It's the single area in the game in which I have little to no idea what I'm doing or where even to start lol, so I spent most of my time either observing the person who quite obviously knew what they were doing, and doing small tasks to help them [making rubber, fetching water from the semi-distant swamp, helping them carry stuff, feeding their kids, etc.].

1. Make a newcomen multipurpose engine.  For that you need 4 stone blocks, a pump beam kit, a newcomen atmospheric core (that's the same engine as what goes on a charcoal or kerosone pump), a rope, and a cut yew branch.  Then you need a crude piston on a flat rock.  The engine needs a bucket of water and a basket of charcoal to run.

2. Using the crude piston on a flat rock you need to make 3 large pulleys and 1 small pulley (another large pulley and small pulley will be needed later, as well as at least 10 piston blanks).  The large pulleys get made by tapping hot steel in the engine 3 times, while it's 2 times for a small pulley.  2 large pulleys are for the roller mechanism.  1 large pulley and 1 small pulley are for the pulley drive mechanism.

3. The pulley drive mechanism needs a raw rubber tire used on it and then the result gets cooked in an oven.  The result of that then gets put on the pulley drive mechanism, then join a steel blade to that.  That gives you the bore mechanism.

4. Roll out as many steel rods as you can with the roller.  It's just using heated steel once on the roller.

5. Use those steel rods on the bore to make steel pipes, tapping each once, except for one of those rods which you tap twice, yielding a pump valve jacket.

6. Place one steel pipe in the pump valve jacket, and now head out to the tarry spot (don't know where one lies?  Consider building a road to there before doing oil, unless it's super close) with a cart, steel pipes, and the pump valve (that's what results from the pump valve jacket and a steel pipe), or a steel pipe and stone blocks.

7. Place one steel pipe on the tarry spot.

8. Place 4 stone blocks next.  Then a pump beam kit.  Then another newcomen atmospheric core.  Then a rope.  Finally, you'll need to place a steel blade (this gets called the 'bit') on the rig to complete it.

9. Now you run the rig using a bucket of water, a basket of charcoal, and then lighting it with a firebrand.  Did the rig not get wet?  If it did not get wet (the rig says 'yeeaaahh!' when it gets wet), then place another steel pipe on it to extend the rig further into the ground.  Run it again using a bucket of water, a basket of charcoal, and a firebrand.  Repeat until the oil rig is wet.

10. Once the oil rig is wet, then you can place the pump valve on it.  Then you put on a tank.  Throw in a bucket of water, a basket of a charcoal, and light it up with a firebrand.  That gives you unrefined crude oil.

11. Now, or you could have made it earlier, and well it's probably a good idea to make it earlier, you need a fractional distiller.  This requires that two cylinders get put together, and then a steel pipe gets put on top of the double cylinder.  Finally, you place that on top of a boiler and you have the fractional distiller.  Place an empty tank on the fractional distiller.  Then dump a tank of crude oil into the distiller.  Throw in a basket of charcoal only (no water is needed to run the distiller).  Finally, light it up with a firebrand, and you then have your first tank of kerosone.

To start all that you need a bunch of kindling to make charcoal, I prefer to cut up curved branches and yew branches for kindling, the iron, and to know where the tarry spot lies.  Recently, after searching around in my youth before I can use a cart (I try to bring home some branches while doing this) for a tarry spot, I've mostly been focusing on building a road to the nearest tarry spot using a cart to get the flatties.  Then given that I get the road built, I'll try to get what I can going with respect to oil.  At least in a village where I can get or make a cart early enough.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-08 09:54:09)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-06-24 11:56:59

Sukallinen

Morti wrote:

Darn, I just like everything you post. Every single thing.

IK I'm a handful sometimes, though I try not to offend (well, Az* or other griefers excluded). Have you gathered other stuff lately from the nature ? Also, sometimes it looks like I try to offend, but in such cases it's for people's own good (I think). Not sorry I can not think for others, it is refreshing to have variety.

Sorry I only have property-fence you'd irl not want to cross, with road next to it (I think I posted this already)... http://prntscr.com/o5wx7i

#14 2019-06-24 18:31:14

Grim_Arbiter

Sorry you are right, just an angry boy today.

Sorry yall

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-06-24 20:44:20)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#15 2019-06-24 20:24:37

jord1990

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

Call him a leaf instead... friggin leaf.

There are three of you on the discord that literally bitch all day, and turn it into an echo chamber. One of you dosen't even own the game ,and literally is just there to stir the pot and get people angry.

So grief in game all you want, me and others will be there to combat you. But GTFO of the discord if your just going there to be negative. Im tired of goin on there and seeing the same three people shit talking the game to each other in a circle. You dipshts have your own discord to do that on.

Please keep it civil Grim, This is not the place to discuss these things. I would also like to remind you that there is a block feature on discord to make sure you don't see someones messages anymore. I'd suggest you use it.

#16 2019-06-24 20:47:26

Grim_Arbiter

jord1990 wrote:

Please keep it civil Grim, This is not the place to discuss these things. I would also like to remind you that there is a block feature on discord to make sure you don't see someones messages anymore. I'd suggest you use it.

Your right and i apologize. I should block them, but I'm not about censorship of any kind. The only person I almost did block was the guy who was spamming his discord link begging for follows.

--Grim

#17 2019-06-24 21:19:32

ollj

in dead villages, you have a chance to experiment, with whatever is left to you.
practice anything, or try something new, you can fail as much as you like, and noone will be mad for it but yourself.
you can even practice griefing or maximum destruction, and noone would ever notice.

waste all the kindling, waste all the food, use one kindling per heated steel, it wont matter at all, it likely just decays and noone will ever notice much of a difference.

in dead villages, the common thing to do is to just make paper wtire some on location, and take the rest with you, to leave a breadcrum paper trail.
use this to get philosophical or to criticize anything you want to. it does not need to have context.
the silliest letters i wrote where "six people died and i got pants" and "and jason sayd, my hovercraft is full of eels, and it was" while and after two civilizations met peacefully, but then 2 greedy griefers with too many knifes per player (2x as many knifes as grieders, go figure) went on an ego trip bloodbath, where i remained neutral, refused to pick up any weapon,. soi i was not threatening to anyone with a weapon, so i survived this shit easily: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 830#p65830

its fun to vent anger in paper, that likely noone is ever going to read, and hat may just end up ion someones ingame library, with all the othjer nonsense in it.

in dead villages, you usually find a knife ot a bow andd three arrows, and a horse.
this is a good moment to practice hunting of boars, wolves, bears and snakes.
the ui can be a bitch for hunting boars and wolves, because pathing is simple and dumb (you easily just march onto a wolf or boar), and mastery of this finnicky ui takes a lot of practice.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-24 21:46:35)

#18 2019-06-24 21:59:12

Morti

Sukallinen wrote:

...though I try not to offend...
...it is refreshing to have variety.

There are some tricks to true happiness that people all around the world use.

tibet-mountain-monastery-wallpaper-1.jpg

They remove themselves, if just for a time, from the strings of others.

p2Pf3Aa.jpg

Away from the tension in the network, they find peace in mere existence.

6y2GuoA.jpg

It doesn't mean we have to avoid each other.

54d91be5e58bb_-_jason-rohrer-1208-lg-18497668.jpg

We just have to maintain our roots.

f50d184a3349526b9d0d971ef6f7efe4.jpg

Look, enough with the pictures. People are good. They are all good. They are all working towards something positive. Whether that is for themselves, for their families, for their company, or for humanity, for life and for the universe. We are all alive wanting to make something better. Problems seem to arise when those desires run into conflict - the desire for money vs the desire for clean air, the desire to insure the security of your immediate family vs the security of other families in your own community, you take your pick. There are always going to be odds between people, and those odds are only going to be exacerbated the more people we have, the more we learn about each other and the more perspectives we take into account.

People are each others strings, for better or worse.

We're not always tied to other people though. Our minds are capable of focusing on the rest of the world. There is peace in the sands of the desert. There is peace on the tops of mountains. There is even peace inside of an iron ingot. It's in the material around you. It's in the air just outside of your skin. It's in all the places of your body that you don't feel pain. That peace can surround your mind. It passes through like fresh air. It dissolves the strings that are too tight.

If you just wait long enough, with each breath, everything that is outside of you, that has no tension in it, will untie your strings.

There is no need to cut these strings. They dissolve on their own. Just give them enough slack, and they'll unwind, all on their own. Then you got all this free string making material. You've got all the space around you. And from there you can start tying new strings to things you like, things you don't mind being tied to. Things you really want, to be tied to.

--

Translations and interpretations can be tricky.
I hope this all makes sense to you.

I have not spent a lot of time in the woods since we last talked, but I have been spending a lot of time riding a bike.
I got in an accident a few days ago, but I'm okay. One knee took the weight of my entire body on the asphalt, and the other knee took the force of the whole bicycle. Got a pretty nasty bruise where the bike was forced against me, and I damaged the bone a little around my knee where I first hit the ground, but it's all okay. It's healing. It's just going to take time to heal. But it wasn't that bad anyway, I was able to get right back on the bike after 10 minutes of breathing, standing and sitting on the curb.

I want to get outside more.

I'm always in a better state of mind when I am on my bicycle, than I am when I am sitting at a computer. It's just a fact of biology I need experience to relearn. Much as I love this world of information and light, much as I love listening to the world through the electricity, I don't want to forget the feeling of the rain, the wind or the sand beneath my feet. I need to hear the waves.

I'm going to go away from this computer now, back outside.

#19 2019-06-25 10:34:42

Morti

Sukallinen wrote:

Have you gathered other stuff lately from the nature ?

I didn't pick these, they are endangered species, but I did find many of them.

LZfFbfO.jpg

p7yjvrz.jpg

Apparently they are called Iris lacustris (also known as dwarf lake iris, lake iris and Great Lakes iris)" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_lacustris

It may also be Iris cristata https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris_cristata I'm not a floristician, or a botanist for that matter.

I also ran into this young girl while out on my bike

1ESRn6w.jpg

I mean, I didn't literally run into her, on foot or with my bike, but I think she is pregnant and looking for a place to lay her eggs.

oPeZfo3.jpg

Which is strange, because the hospital is on the other side of the river.

#20 2019-06-28 02:27:16

Jk Howling

Spoonwood wrote:

<stuff about getting to diesel>

This helps a good bit, I got as far as building the oil rig and drilling for oil today, as a boy in a p much dead town. We had a newcomen engine already and a few supplies that I'm guessing someone earlier had started on. Hopefully the one girl we had left passes on the location of the oil rig, and actually has a girl to continue the line.

-Has ascended to better games-

#21 2019-06-28 05:37:46

Spoonwood

Glad I could help Jk!

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer