One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-23 19:16:46

Xelothar

Twin Eve are different families BUG?

Hello,
not sure if this s a suggestion or a (known) bug.

Whenever i spawn as Eve with a friend as Twins we will end up as different families with different last names. Because of that we will not be able to read what the other person/family will write in the chat. We even tried to use the same last name but it would just switch to a different name then.

Any suggestion on that?

#2 2019-06-23 19:18:38

YannaChan
Banned

Re: Twin Eve are different families BUG?

I do think Twin Eve's could either be sisters or different families but they can already understand eachother clearly.

#3 2019-06-23 19:24:23

Tarr
Banned

Twins Eves aren't related and thus can't communicate. It's a known thing and was done purposely because ???

Basically it exists so rich and interesting dynamics like the sword can exist.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-06-23 19:37:01

BlueDiamondAvatar

Tarr wrote:

Twins Eves aren't related and thus can't communicate. It's a known thing and was done purposely because ???

Basically it exists so rich and interesting dynamics like the sword can exist.

Tarr, the OP didn't realize twins are built to not be related.   So I'm pretty sure they won't read the obvious sarcasm in the "rich and interesting" quote.

To OP, Jason has used the phrase "rich and interesting" to describe the mechanisms like language barriers and warswords that naturally incentivize conflict in this game. The fact that twin eves don't understand each other is intended, as far as we can tell.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#5 2019-06-23 22:47:50

BladeWoods

I don't think twin eves not speaking same language was intentional. It was a side-effect of the language update and is a known issue.

A bigger question is should twin eves share the same family tree?

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-06-23 22:58:01)

#6 2019-06-24 00:47:59

Grim_Arbiter

BladeWoods wrote:

I don't think twin eves not speaking same language was intentional. It was a side-effect of the language update and is a known issue.

A bigger question is should twin eves share the same family tree?

That's actually a really good question.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2019-06-24 02:29:48

Sukallinen

What question ? Twins are born twins, twin-eves... So call'em war-eves or something, not twin eves. Easy. As easy as programming the change to make'em twins and speaking some language, need to 1) create non-existing now dead player, say eve-eve 2) change these two be be her kids.

How to give surname, that's the problem here. They must be born with one then, but I don't see that as too much a problem.

#8 2019-06-24 12:24:30

FulmenTheFinn

Sukallinen wrote:

How to give surname, that's the problem here. They must be born with one then, but I don't see that as too much a problem.

IMO spawning as Eve should be something you can choose prior to spawning. Currently if you want to Eve you have to /die through around 5-8 lives, and if something goes wrong and you want to try again, at best you'll get one more shot before you're out of lives. At worst? Well, tough luck bucko, no more tickets for you; you've gotta wait till you've 5-8 again.

So if being Eve were something you could predetermine through e.g. a checkbox prior to spawning, you could also decide on a name prior to spawning. If all members of the party enter the same name, their Eves will be sisters. It's by no means perfect, and the only thing differentiating their names could be e.g. Roman numerals, but it'd still be a lot better than what we have now.

I quad a lot and we actually tried quad Eve'ing again after a while for a few times. We were all in a call and without voice comms it would've been nigh-impossible due to the different languages. Also our descendants ended up killing each other, as is always the case with multi-lineage towns. Even wrote them a note to tell them of their origins, but that didn't stop them.

If you want to found a new town in the current version of the game while playing with others, then realistically your best bet is to be born to an existing town and then leaving it behind. You won't get to choose a name and thus make the lineage "your own", but it is what it is.

EDIT: I found out after writing this post that with the current system you can actually easily /die through all 12 lives without getting an Eve spawn once. This must change ASAP.

Last edited by FulmenTheFinn (2019-06-24 16:40:06)

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#9 2019-06-24 12:37:28

Sukallinen

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Yes. I have nothing to add, but +1 or smiley won't work in this php driven system... I agree to every one of your points, my post was what could be possibly realistically done with current engine without too much time investment.

#10 2019-06-25 01:16:18

ollj

twin evers must fight to the death, there can only be one!

#11 2019-06-25 03:59:05

Kitaelia

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

EDIT: I found out after writing this post that with the current system you can actually easily /die through all 12 lives without getting an Eve spawn once. This must change ASAP.

One of the reasons the limited lives on a timer was implemented was to purposely discourage people from /die'ing over and over and encourage them to live the life they were born into. You can also no longer /die to force Eve spawn even if you had more lives. This is intended.

This is in the #live-dev-changes channel in the official discord server:

5/27/2019
"Changes to function of /DIE.  Can no longer use it to cycle through all families and force yourself to be an unecessary Eve.  Eve only spawns if there are really no available motehrs for an incoming baby.  /DIE adds this family to your family skip list.  If you eventually cycle through all families, so that you've skipped them all, and none are left, your skip list is cleared."

That's when families started getting way too big and we ended up with the same 2 families lasting days and being the only option. Then Jason made this change:

5/29/2019
"We now add a new Eve whenever existing families have more than 15 players each on average."

You can still play as Eve on one of the empty servers if you wish to.

Last edited by Kitaelia (2019-06-25 04:06:13)

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#12 2019-06-25 04:34:12

FulmenTheFinn

Kitaelia wrote:

You can also no longer /die to force Eve spawn even if you had more lives. This is intended.

Not true. The way you describe it was the case only briefly a few weeks ago, before Jason more or less reverted it to the old behaviour. Having also Eve'd around a dozen times in the past few days, I can confirm with absolute certainty that repeatedly /dying does eventually result in being spawned as an Eve. It's just that the number of tries it takes varies, and the max lives are so low that you can easily run out of tickets while doing it, if there's a lot of different settlements alive at the same time. Starting at 12 lives I find I generally spawn as an Eve after /dying around 8 times, but if something goes wrong and you want to try again, you're almost guaranteed to have to wait until you're back at 12 lives.

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#13 2019-06-25 06:25:56

Kitaelia

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

... before Jason more or less reverted it to the old behaviour.

Huh, really? Is that change posted anywhere? In the #live-dev-changes the next update with the keyword "Eve" after the ones I mentioned above was this:

06/07/2019
"Disabled latest Eve spring grid placement close to civ, and re-enabled old Eve spiral."

I read that as meaning only the locations that Eve's spawn at was reverted, not the number of Eves. If I missed a post somewhere, I'd love to see it if you know where it is. I like to try to stay at least somewhat informative xD

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#14 2019-06-25 13:33:42

FulmenTheFinn

Kitaelia wrote:

I like to try to stay at least somewhat informative xD

Don't know if it's properly mentioned in any patch notes, but you can easily see it for yourself by repeatedly /dying.

Board footer