One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-04 16:56:26

Mewmew

New player starting woes

I bought the game as soon as I saw it, being very interested in it, and yet I've barely played and regretted buying it even (I don't want a refund or anything, but I do still hate having that feeling of regret).

I get that people can set up different servers, but the hunger rate on the official servers just seems *insane* to me.  I guess probably some people like the challenge of it though...  I mean to me it's just...too much.  You're just so hungry so often and that seems to make it especially easy for griefers to come mess with people as well when they mess with the food.

Not that any of you don't know this, but that hunger rate combined with being a new player is rough.  My first Eve Mothers just ran off and left me to die on my own.  Another tried to feed me to a bear.  The few that did keep me alive were too busy and frustrated to take time to teach me anything.  When I finally was spawning in bigger built up areas, they were like "ugh another mouth to feed, don't be a burden" and just left me clueless and alone again.

I joined the game because I love community games, games where I can help out a community of players in some way.  Yet right now I really do feel like a burden because the others around me mostly make me feel that way when I've tried to learn the game, as if they don't have time and can't bother with that and that I'm being a pain for asking.  I don't know anything, and the people around me have seemed to be too much in a rush to help me learn so far.

I get that I've probably had weird luck with those I've been born to, and that a lot of people would love to help out, I just haven't been born to or around them.

And yet while I keep my hopes up of being born to the right place, I still see that there's like constant griefing and murdering going on everywhere.  This isn't really feeling like the fun community game I thought it might be.  *Maybe* if I practice on another server first with a different rule set I might end up being okay on the main, I don't know.  But even when I try to go see info about these other servers they've all been getting stories about griefers and murderers coming onto theirs as well and I just don't want to go deal with that stuff.  It's not fun for me to try to deal with the griefers and murderers.  The core game seems difficult enough to start without dealing with them.

I don't know what to do about it.  I guess I'll probably just wait and see what becomes of the game in the future, though I hate to see that I'm missing so much of this early interesting build up as well.  I guess since people can set up their own servers, I can go through all the early building sometime down the road on a new different server though.

#2 2018-04-04 17:13:19

Sakkiyn

Re: New player starting woes

Have you watched youtube or twitch to get a feel for the game? I watched both for 3-4 days before buying. It helps you learn the basics without feeling confused.

And the hunger timer is not that bad once you are fully clothed. Naked is bad except in the desert biome.

The first thing I do if I am not clothed, is grab a basket of food and find the rabbits, most areas have snares ready to go and sometimes fur and rabbits all over. Get a basket of thread and a needle and get dressed for the love of OHOL. Make a backpack first and you can carry 4 food with you so you do not starve trying to get dressed and ready to carve out your 60 minute life.

#3 2018-04-04 17:17:02

MaggieMurdoch

I watched a lot of youtubers before I bought it and read up a lot because I didn't want to spawn and be a burden or accidentally destroy others hard work.
when I spawn as an Eve in the middle of nowhere I try to keep my babies alive because everyone deserves to play

#4 2018-04-04 17:23:46

Sakkiyn

MaggieMurdoch wrote:

I watched a lot of youtubers before I bought it and read up a lot because I didn't want to spawn and be a burden or accidentally destroy others hard work.
when I spawn as an Eve in the middle of nowhere I try to keep my babies alive because everyone deserves to play

I give the baby a choice since it is not really a baby. If it wants me to keep it alive I try, even if I starve doing so, after all I can just spawn again so it is no skin off my nose.

#5 2018-04-04 17:48:35

OxPower

Personally I bought the game with very little knowledge of what you're supposed to do. I like some of Jason's previous games, they are all fucking weird but good weird, so I just bought this one. I learned the game by watching others in-game and trial and error. Don't worry about being a burden, at the end of the day this is a game and it's meant to be played and enjoyed. Don't stress about not being the most efficient player. We all started knowing next to nothing and "got gud" over time. If you're not enjoying it then that's that, but if you feel you might like it once you learn it then i suggest you power threw. Dickheads are gonna dickhead, that comes hand in hand with any online game.

#6 2018-04-04 18:21:15

Potjeh

If you don't know how to do something, ask. A lot of players will teach if you show enthusiasm for something specific. I recommend learning carrot farming first, then rabbit snaring, then baking.

Last edited by Potjeh (2018-04-04 18:23:37)

#7 2018-04-04 18:29:28

Siolfor the Jackal

Sounds like you have had pretty bad luck with parents so far. And that sucks. I have nights like that, but it's worth it when you finally have a family that actually looks after you and wants to help you. I had some kids the other night and my youngest daughter was new, so I showed her the most basic things like how to make a basket and my eldest daughter showed her the ropes and got her to shadow her brother to learn how farming works.

#8 2018-04-04 18:48:51

TrustyWay

Outch, you had bad luck, but it's normal that at the begin crafts seems so hard to do, over complicated, when you get it you are really more valuable and you forget a bit about hunger, it becomes natural to eat often.

Trust me boy, when the game can out, most of people didn't know most things and it was an hobo world, murderer everywhere, nobody know how to defend.

And if you don't like your place you can still take a basket of carrot and go find civilization in the wild.

I like that everything is up to you in this game, since the update few days ago there are less lots of murderer.

#9 2018-04-04 19:50:36

BluePixelDemon

What I did to learn the game was to join one of the public servers with 0 connected. This might not be the gameplay experience you were looking for, but for me, playing alone helped me get a lot more confident in the game. If you die in an empty server you simply spawn back as another eve, so you can keep dying until you learn to survive. In addition I always have my phone near with the OHOL wiki. Just search for the things you want to craft and there will be step by step instructions. You will die a lot but trial and error is how you get good fast. Good luck!

Last edited by BluePixelDemon (2018-04-04 19:51:16)

"Jason is a sadist and we're bunch of masochists."
- Joriom 2018

#10 2018-04-04 20:06:20

Tebe

Ack, that's really too bad. It has been a while since I've booted this up, a combo of being so busy and the uptick in trolling. But I have to say that my favorite part of this game's experience is the learning-teaching thread. Learning new techniques from other people, and then teaching them to other players. And further to that, once you've learned, you can really help - working together to forge steel, or bake pies, or build fences for the sheep once you've learned the techniques and wisdom. I wouldn't give up on it, because it's an incredibly rich experience for a game - Like nothing I've ever played before. You have had bad luck so far - make sure you're very clear that you're new, as soon as you're old enough to express it - and I'm sure you'll find some other players eager to teach the ways!

#11 2018-04-04 20:57:48

Go! Bwah!

Yes.

Mewmew wrote:

This isn't really feeling like the fun community game I thought it might be.

I'm "good enough" at this game, and it still feels way too serious to be a "fun community game" (so I don't play it much anymore).  Don't get high hopes.

I don't know what to do about it.  I guess I'll probably just wait and see what becomes of the game in the future, though I hate to see that I'm missing so much of this early interesting build up as well.

Anecdote: we had that "horses" update recently, but being already tired of this game and its demands, I didn't bother trying to work through the tedious craft chain to get a rideable one.  Today I logged on as an Eve, wandered around, found a few ghost cities, found one with a tied-up tamed carted horse.  Tried to fill its cart with bone baskets; got frustrated with how finicky horse movement is.  Rode it for a bit.  Had a baby; raced the baby (I won).  Ran into a bear and died.  Said, "okay, that's about all I'm going to get out of that update," and quit.

In my experience, this game has successfully incorporated a relatively high proportion of life's frustrations and a relatively low proportion of its rewards.

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#12 2018-04-04 21:37:25

Babipoki

9d5.png

#13 2018-04-04 22:42:53

TrustyWay

Go! Bwah! wrote:

Yes.

Mewmew wrote:

This isn't really feeling like the fun community game I thought it might be.

I'm "good enough" at this game, and it still feels way too serious to be a "fun community game" (so I don't play it much anymore).  Don't get high hopes.

I don't know what to do about it.  I guess I'll probably just wait and see what becomes of the game in the future, though I hate to see that I'm missing so much of this early interesting build up as well.

Anecdote: we had that "horses" update recently, but being already tired of this game and its demands, I didn't bother trying to work through the tedious craft chain to get a rideable one.  Today I logged on as an Eve, wandered around, found a few ghost cities, found one with a tied-up tamed carted horse.  Tried to fill its cart with bone baskets; got frustrated with how finicky horse movement is.  Rode it for a bit.  Had a baby; raced the baby (I won).  Ran into a bear and died.  Said, "okay, that's about all I'm going to get out of that update," and quit.

In my experience, this game has successfully incorporated a relatively high proportion of life's frustrations and a relatively low proportion of its rewards.

Baby part is annoying but it's the time you get to know who is with you, then if you don't have fun it's because of yourself, I have fun almost every game, mostly because I do other things than working hard. I do lots of roleplay or doing strange things or give order such as "work hard". I can dodge work all the time when I have the crown.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2018-04-04 22:45:31)

#14 2018-04-04 23:25:48

Go! Bwah!

TrustyWay wrote:

Baby part is annoying but it's the time you get to know who is with you, then if you don't have fun it's because of yourself, I have fun almost every game, mostly because I do other things than working hard. I do lots of roleplay or doing strange things or give order such as "work hard". I can dodge work all the time when I have the crown.

I'm usually pretty good at finding different ways to play but it's hard to find the balance in this game between wanting to mess around, wanting to socialize with players who are actually trying to do something (for some reason), and needing to survive.

I've never been really interested in roleplaying but it's a good point.  If OP likes roleplaying it might be worth it for them to get over the hump.

Last edited by Go! Bwah! (2018-04-04 23:26:23)

I like to go by "Eve Scripps" and name my kids after medications smile

#15 2018-04-04 23:29:50

Lexyvil

Being lucky and be born into a well maintained civilization that fully clothes you from the start really helps. Clothing is the #1 priority I find, so I make sure to make enough clothes for everyone in most lifetimes that lack full sets.

#16 2018-04-04 23:56:08

Alleria

Lexyvil wrote:

Being lucky and be born into a well maintained civilization that fully clothes you from the start really helps. Clothing is the #1 priority I find, so I make sure to make enough clothes for everyone in most lifetimes that lack full sets.

Most definitely. Clothing is by far the most valuable resource of a civilisation. A town can double their population simply by clothing everyone.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#17 2018-04-05 00:00:29

Lily

It gets a lot better. You eat 4 times the food when naked, compared to the ideal state. Just getting a pair of pants greatly reduces the amount of food you eat and if you wearing all the warmest clothing, it is like you barely have to eat at all. Also if you get a backpack, you can stock food in there so don't have to return to town. Foods like pie are more filling and have multiple bites too.

So if you are fully clothed and have like 2 pies in your backpack, you can probably run around for well over 30 minutes without having to find food, only stopping occasionally to nibble on your pie.

#18 2018-04-05 00:06:29

Alleria

Could someone clarify for me? I thought being at optimal temp (naked, on fire) was 1/4 normal rate (congruent with what Lily said), where being fully clothed in fur reduced by 1/2. I haven't done my due diligence, and am curious about actual figures.

#19 2018-04-05 00:26:49

Lily

Alleria wrote:

Could someone clarify for me? I thought being at optimal temp (naked, on fire) was 1/4 normal rate (congruent with what Lily said), where being fully clothed in fur reduced by 1/2. I haven't done my due diligence, and am curious about actual figures.

It might be something like that. I know that fully clothed doesn't put you at optimal temp, and that the style of clothing does factor in. Where you are walking does also change things as well. Outside fires, I think floors help a lot too. So if you are in town with floors all over that helps.

Fully clothed in fur does look at the half way point towards the center of the temp bar though.

#20 2018-04-05 00:32:08

Babipoki

Floors with bear rugs also increase the temps I believe.

#21 2018-04-05 00:35:01

Alleria

I'd love to see how effectively a town could be built utilising the natural warmth of the desert biome. I've raised many a child sitting on the edge of the desert on the temperature sweet spot. I wonder whether placing floors over it would negate the warmth, or whether would just make it hotter. Definitely a solid alternative to nursing fires.

Board footer