One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 04:57:59

Sakkiyn

I am the LAW

It would be nice to see a writing system implemented, reeds make paper (need a tool)? Feather and dye for ink and pen?

Post the laws on a wall only?

When you mouse over it says "first law" and has one sentence.

Each successive law needs a new paper and ink and pen and a wall to put it on?

Maybe need a crown to make laws?

Laws can be "enforced" with no punishment for the "enforcer"?

Maybe it is just me but the time and effort to tell a baby that types ... I ...A ...M ...N ...E...W, all these laws over and over gets tiresome and time consuming.

This way you build walls around farms and post the laws at the door.

Maybe also have the crown able to  make another "writ" besides laws to bestow power on others. Or use a knife/sword to knight someone as an enforcer of the laws.

This is the law, only enforcers shall wear the wolf in city limits.

And so on, make the crown more then mere decoration? Although I have had soe great RP with crowns to date.

#2 2018-04-02 18:07:11

SSDarkMoon

Re: I am the LAW

but how to let the system to know the range of the city?
because the LAW only can run in a city.

#3 2018-04-02 18:20:06

The Person In Yellow

Why do you need to put that in the game mechanics when you can already do that? You just need people to listen to you and be on board with what you are doing. You probably would have to have the support of some players from the start, who probably will be your enforcers, to convince the other people in the tribe what you want them to do. I don't think there is a strong need to make that into a mechanic in the game.

But as a side note to make a law you should spend fifteen years in the academy, and become the finest cadet they've ever seen.

Last edited by The Person In Yellow (2018-04-02 18:21:19)

#4 2018-04-02 22:29:14

Rebel

As Laws are a social construct, it should rely on people doing it not the game. I have been in towns where the "If you pick the seed row, you are free game to be killed by the farmers", "If you are seen with a weapon inside the town, you will be killed by the elders" etc..

#5 2018-04-03 01:28:35

Eannatum

@rebel, but once societies get too big, there are bound to be slip ups due to ignorance. At this point in the 'tech tree', we are equivalent to societies such as the Akkadians, Assyrians, and unified Egypt (essentially the bronze age). However, it is not wrong to say that we are in the Hittite's iron age due to our access to steel tools (steel is basically fancy iron). However, since there is not enough communication in ingame societies and there is bad delegation of power due to that bad communication, it is very hard to sustain an empire like those mentioned above, even though we have surpassed the technology required to build one. Also, trolls easily overpowering a fully functional society do not help. Implementing some sort of law code would help organize towns, and we could see more interdependence, specialization, loyalty, culture, diplomacy, and warring, somethings I'd love to see. I do not agree with the method of implementation. Players rarely interact with walls and have no reason to click on the walls. It would be better to have stones (NOT Paper, because it decays. Additionally, no known ancient society used paper to write their law codes) left by a nursery so that the tribe mother can give to children. A stone would be inscribed with the laws of the city. Maybe, upon consumption of the stone's inscription, the game could throw up the written format of the law code on the players screen for the rest of the game and stick it in some corner of the screen. I like this, it mirrors Hammurabi's obsidian stele, describing in detail the laws and punishments in every aspect of society, from business to private to religious.

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#6 2018-04-03 12:12:48

Rebel

Eannatum wrote:

@rebel, but once societies get too big, there are bound to be slip ups due to ignorance. At this point in the 'tech tree', we are equivalent to societies such as the Akkadians, Assyrians, and unified Egypt (essentially the bronze age). However, it is not wrong to say that we are in the Hittite's iron age due to our access to steel tools (steel is basically fancy iron). However, since there is not enough communication in ingame societies and there is bad delegation of power due to that bad communication, it is very hard to sustain an empire like those mentioned above, even though we have surpassed the technology required to build one. Also, trolls easily overpowering a fully functional society do not help. Implementing some sort of law code would help organize towns, and we could see more interdependence, specialization, loyalty, culture, diplomacy, and warring, somethings I'd love to see. I do not agree with the method of implementation. Players rarely interact with walls and have no reason to click on the walls. It would be better to have stones (NOT Paper, because it decays. Additionally, no known ancient society used paper to write their law codes) left by a nursery so that the tribe mother can give to children. A stone would be inscribed with the laws of the city. Maybe, upon consumption of the stone's inscription, the game could throw up the written format of the law code on the players screen for the rest of the game and stick it in some corner of the screen. I like this, it mirrors Hammurabi's obsidian stele, describing in detail the laws and punishments in every aspect of society, from business to private to religious.

How do you think those ancient empires collapsed? lack of communication.

You don't need writing to enforce laws just communication if at any point the lawspeaker of the town dies or stops doing their job, of course, the town will die out and people will break the laws.
The only way I will every encourage writing is to pass down knowledge of the town in such "This is the bakery" "This is the berry farm" "Carrot storage" etc..

You just have to work harder to pass on the laws to each generation, I have seen multiple villages run by one person (Queen) who used a horse to run between villages organising her empire, her daughter took up the role once she was too old, it worked a treat believe there were four villages each with around 3-6 people all with the same family name and still managed to keep each town working towards expanding, trading and growing the population. I imagine it died out a few generations later due to the lack of vision in other peoples gameplay.

#7 2018-04-03 13:26:39

The Person In Yellow

Rebel wrote:

What?
and
Why can't you just tell people as babies what area is for what function and the basic rules? If people have no direction then they are going to think everything is free game and have no reason to believe certain areas are for certain purposes unless they learned how things normally work in a previous life.
Sure maybe writing would encourage people not born in the village to obey the rules, but it doesn't seem like the most necessary mechanic for such a small group of people in villages. There isn't enough specialization in jobs that occur to warrant the use of writing. Even in the ancient civilizations talked about, writing was mainly used by merchants to track transactions and label what each item might be, and priests for religious purposes. Usually language was the only communication needed to survive otherwise. Some cultures never developed a written form of communication, such as much later Hawaiian people.

Last edited by The Person In Yellow (2018-04-03 13:26:59)

#8 2018-04-03 13:54:06

Anshin

Signposts would be great, especially for the lost or new Eve/Adam who needs to find a village before they starve.

I've been in many places where the babies are all left by the fire, and the Nanny/Wet Nurse/Teacher tells them all the current rules.
It would be interesting to see if a central "The Book" could be crafted where all the rules or stories or whatever of a village could be written. It would be nice for kids to be able to read it before they wandered off into village life. It would also be nice in that final raisin life stage before you die to write a few words of wisdom for those that might follow.

#9 2018-04-03 15:18:17

TrustyWay

Rebel wrote:
Eannatum wrote:

Pretty sure they didn't die because weren't social

#10 2018-04-03 23:00:14

Rebel

TrustyWay wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Eannatum wrote:

Pretty sure they didn't die because weren't social

Yep, Even the Roman Empire had problems with keeping territory because of communications. Even when the British empire was at its finest colonies would convert or rebel without the empire even knowing until trade managed to spread the information.

and fyi, stretched dried animal skin was used alot for writing too.

If you want a village to live by some laws, then go around enforcing them it isn't hard. Teaching babies the laws and how you would like the village to run if the rules change once you die then the rules weren't very good.

TBH i don't think have 'written laws' that are just some rules that you have written on rock or a piece of paper is any different than telling people the laws in fact its prolly easier just to tell your kids then it is to go about writing on a piece of paper then trying to explain to people that these are the laws which you then have to pass around, sounds like alot of effort please someone will die with it or runoff.

If you have a vision, then exercise that vision by teaching the babies of the village the laws and how they should teach their kids etc..

#11 2018-04-04 17:08:50

Sakkiyn

I guess you must not play much. Typing to a new baby all the laws takes forever in a game that 1 minute equals one year. You have limited space to type. Then a new baby is born and you have to start over. People rarely stand around to listen to you speak about anything. If nothing else how about some text macros? I get so tired of typing the same shit over and over and over ad infinitum. Have you ever been near a carrot farm and listen to one farmer spam "this (top or bottom) row seeds" to every new person? A set of laws that everyone can read would fix this time sink, it would be crafted by a player, so still stays true to Jason's vision of the players creating the civilization. Or the macros would save me having to type the same thing till I am sick of raising new player babies. It needs to be addressed in some fashion and I am merely trying to propose a few ideas that could solve it and make for fun roleplaying as well.

Board footer