One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-08 23:22:38

FeignedSanity

Milkweed design help

So I've been mulling over what to do about the troublesome weed. I'm not considering hemp or some kind of straight to rope/thread mechanic; nor am I considering some sort of automation.

With that being said, he's the idea I'm batting around right now. If you wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts on this, I'd be very appreciative.

There is now a wild milkweed, this is the milkweed you will find in the wild. The milkweed that you grow is just called milkweed. Wild milkweed will have the flowering milkweed sprite, and milkweed will have the fruiting milkweed sprite. The base milkweed has been changed to “growing milkweed”. This grows from milkweed sprouts and must be soiled and watered again. Milkweed can be harvested four times, losing one of the bulbs each time. Once wild milkweed has been picked, it will become flowering milkweed debris and give two seeds. This does not decay and will not disappear until both seeds are taken. Once the last harvest of milkweed has been picked, it will become the flowering milkweed debris. This will give 2 seeds, but disappear after 1 minute.

Thanks to everyone that has contributed so far!

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-06-16 05:22:48)

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#2 2019-06-08 23:38:23

Spoonwood

Re: Milkweed design help

Are you asking for the purposes of the Community Crucible Mod?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-06-09 00:02:39

Sukallinen

You're not stating the problem, you're stating suggested solution, and as Jason stated, not helpful.

Solution is needed for bit advanced towns, not from wilderness pickings early towns, and here it is:

As a kid from 3 to 4 with low pips, I munch berries (do not waste pies or such), do 3-5 composts. At 4-5 they're not ready, but someone else's are, so use those. Put hexagonal"-ish" pattern leaving empty spaces for the ropes-to-be. Plant 3 composts worth, 3-6 rows tall, starting from edge of town to wilderness. Town kids will water them usually (because they'll be at edge of town they see closest ones), for they will get most of them later.

I go adventure when I see 1-2 kids watering them, come back some years later and I will have enough for my needs, humble 3 ropes or so. Only about 3/4 usually harvested. Result: I've helped village a lot, an old person has noticed, I get BP, knife and some random stuff (so saving time and materials NOT needing to make those myself while roaming wilderness seeing what's where at my first adventure).

You're welcome.

#4 2019-06-09 00:20:44

FeignedSanity

@Spoonwood

No, this would be for my own mod.

@Sukallinen

I am fully aware that it is a suggestion. I have no intention of Jason adding this in in the first place. If by some chance he actually did, that'd be great (I'd probably also go out and buy a lottery ticket at that point). This is not trying to fix any problem in particular, aside from how annoying milkweed currently is. If you could, keep the discussion relevant to the changes I proposed.

Thank you.

#5 2019-06-09 09:38:33

CatX

FeignedSanity wrote:

No, this would be for my own mod.

Nice!

To me, the main problem with milkweed farming is it's repetitive nature. So any change is a good change in my eyes...

To get two stalks form one milkweed would be heaven!

I don't have a problem with the seeding debris right now, even though it stays there for a long time. Real estate is cheap, I can just move the farm somewhere else if people pick the milkweed at the wrong times.

But, what if we could just add soil and water to the seeding debris? It would save a lot of work and make the process less repetitive. Perhaps this could be a feature of domesticated milkweed, so that it can't be done in the wild.

#6 2019-06-09 15:03:48

DestinyCall

I think three seeds is reasonable.   That would be similar to squash.  One seed is definitely not enough.   You want the ability to expand your farm without relying on wild seed availability.

It might also be nice if it left behind a hardened row, but perhaps that is asking for too much.  Especially since the milkweed model currently does not show the plant in a row like the other domestic plants.

Also, if you haven't had the chance to check out the Community Crucible, I highly reccomend it.  Plus, since you are interested in modding, I bet the team would welcome any contributions you are willing to make and the server already offers many cool quality of life fixes that might inspire you in designing your own mods.  Once you play with flint and steel you will wonder why vanilla OHOL is locked in the stone age.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-06-09 15:05:40)

#7 2019-06-09 21:04:56

FeignedSanity

@CatX

Yeah, that's probably the biggest thing this change will address. I went ahead and settled on four milkweed stalks per non-wild milkweed (what's higher than heaven? lol). I was thinking this may be a bit strong, but I really don't think milkweed should be a bottleneck. If you need it, it should be something you can make; but there shouldn't be a need for endless fields of the stuff. This is also why I settled on only getting two seeds. That's also part of the reason the debris for farmed milkweed doesn't stick around. It's going to be a powerful little weed. Maybe it'll need to be soil'd and/or water'd twice to compensate for this.

@DestinyCall

Yeah, I saw that on the seed thing. However, with it being so strong, I think two seeds will be enough. Hopefully there wont be a need to expand the milkweed farm very far anyway, I'm not looking for cotton fields here lol. I also like the fact that it doesn't leave a hardened row behind. I think it's like the only crop that can actually clean up hardened rows (minus seeding carrots). What if you don't want that area to be farmland anymore?

I've also already checked out the CCM mod. I'm not really a fan of the core concept, it's neat, just not for me. I'm looking to do something a bit more refined and controlled. Of course, I would probably find inspiration from them (like I have many sources), and maybe them from me. While I'm very much against some of their ideas (like the bigger biome thing), I respect what they're doing and wouldn't necessarily be opposed to contributing to it. I'd also hope that they (or others in the community) wouldn't mind offering help or advice here or there once this thing gets more fleshed out. It's currently in it's very early stages.

Last edited by FeignedSanity (2019-06-09 21:08:31)

#8 2019-06-09 21:44:18

DestinyCall

FeignedSanity wrote:

What if you don't want that area to be farmland anymore?

You can dig out a hardened row using a shovel, so if you ever want to clear some farmland quickly, you don't need to plant milkweed.   Just FYI - took me forever to realize that.

#9 2019-06-09 21:55:15

FeignedSanity

DestinyCall wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

You can dig out a hardened row using a shovel, so if you ever want to clear some farmland quickly, you don't need to plant milkweed.   Just FYI - took me forever to realize that.

Wow, so you can! Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how many little things there are in this game like that. I guess I never saw it because I was focusing on tilled rows and kind of left hardened rows out of mind. Kind of funny considering I specifically said "cleaning hardened rows", which isn't what I meant to say.

This is like the time someone showed me that you can plant wheat seeds straight from a bowl of wheat. Mind blown lol.

#10 2019-06-10 01:16:57

pedrito confesiones

3 seeds

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#11 2019-06-10 03:37:22

RodneyC86

FeignedSanity wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
FeignedSanity wrote:

Wow, so you can! Thanks for sharing. It's amazing how many little things there are in this game like that. I guess I never saw it because I was focusing on tilled rows and kind of left hardened rows out of mind. Kind of funny considering I specifically said "cleaning hardened rows", which isn't what I meant to say.

This is like the time someone showed me that you can plant wheat seeds straight from a bowl of wheat. Mind blown lol.

Holy shit wtf you can plant them from a bowl of wheat. Damn

So I went out, to get a wheat head, killed by mosquitoes (I know, I have periodic Noob syndrome) for nothing??????

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-10 03:37:55)

Board footer