One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#76 2019-06-05 01:06:07

Spoonwood

Re: Update: Temperature Overhaul

Some players in advanced towns with clothing use to clothe their children in desert regions with the negative effect of children having to feed their children more.  Thus, parents had more responsibility to treat their children in accordance with nature than the present system.  There existed more value in understanding nature with respect to temperature also, because the present system is just 'wear clothing anywhere', rather than having to explore the complexities of the temperature system.  Good parenting involves getting your children to understand nature.

The core idea of the game is that you will care for your offspring.  But, with decreased responsibility of parents to get their children to understand temperature, there's less need for parents to teach their children about nature.  So, in terms of caring for offspring, the temperature overhaul was a mistake.  Since caring for offspring is the at the core nature of the game, the temperature overhaul was a mistake.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-05 01:26:05)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#77 2019-11-19 00:37:23

lady_hyena

This update is clever but after playing the game people are just saying they're not black enough to enter scalding desert. I'm not sure thats the mentality you want.

#78 2019-11-19 02:50:16

eajorstad

lady_hyena wrote:

This update is clever but after playing the game people are just saying they're not black enough to enter scalding desert. I'm not sure thats the mentality you want.

The update you're thinking of is the "Family Specialization" update. Each race is specialized in their own biome, because each biome has unique/important items.

#79 2019-11-23 10:11:40

Spoonwood

Travel is interesting.  Travel is fun.  In the real world, I doubt all that many people would disagree with those statements.

But, in OHOL the temperature overhaul made travel less complex and more simple with respect to understanding the game.  Travel had less possibility of being interesting.

Building buildings and wearing clothes have appeal in the real world.  But, in a rich enough context where one's eyes still see things at a reasonable rate, traveling I would expect be more interesting.

Making it easier to gain pips in ways suggested in the above, and you have now done, I think does not encourage travel.  Though travel can be difficult for a new player, so what you did has some value, perhaps it's only so much.  The pre-temperature overhaul system had a lower pip drain rate, but travel could be more rich.

The Rift/Arc systems cramped travel and failed.  The Come Together change made it easy for travel to get abused and failed, as well as making it so that travel was a challenge in and of itself (no wild food, no iron anywhere from what I read).

I don't mean to suggest that a strong travel system for the game is easy.  But, travel sure changed with respect to a core basic of the game of the game after the temperature overhaul.  It was less interesting with respect to the need to eat, because it became more about how you prepared before a trek (clothing) than where you were traveling.

Danish Clinch.

#80 2019-11-23 10:21:44

StrongForce

Pls stop posting in here
I get exited when the news forum shows up
And then it's not an update D:

Baby dance!!

#81 2019-11-23 17:52:07

Spoonwood

I did also spend some time in neutral biome settlements also before this change (and /died out of them also looking for a desert or jungle settlement).  There existed different difficulties in surviving there than elsewhere.  Lives could be more varied/less samey with respect to survival in old age and thus caring for others also.   

The different biome system provided different sorts of challenges to make life easier.  Mosquitoes differ from snakes and both differ from clothing.

Decreasing pip drain rate to make survival easier via clothing and using buildings is more samey than having more than one way to do such.

I suspect that the pip drain rates of players who didn't suicide at all varied more also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-11-23 17:57:23)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer