One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 20:42:23

Anshin

A Job for Men - Protect the Village!

EDIT: Also, have clothes give armor points. Say a minimum of one point per item. That way sniper murder wouldn't be so easy.

Males need to be able to protect the village. All the griefers and warmongers are to be expected in a game that emulates civilization, except in that defense is almost impossible as the game currently stands.

How about the ability to restrain a person? Much like how an Eve holds her baby, but an adult holding another adult. That way a griefer can be held and executed on the spot.

One person should be able to slow a target person down.
Two people should be able to stop a target person from moving, holding them on the spot.
Three people should be able to move the target person where they want. (perhaps dragging them off to a jail)

All parties involved should not be able to use weapons while holding or being held.
Another person should be able to harm a restrained person if they wish.

Yes, griefers could use this as well, but the multiplayer requirement would make this more like actual warfare.
The ability of a village to fight back would be wonderful, especially against the usual single attacker.

Add to this an issue of size.
Make adult males slightly bigger than adult females.
Then allow people to be able to restrain people their size or smaller.

Size chart:
adult male > adult female & elderly > youth > child > baby

This would give men a specific gender advantage, to balance the childbearing advantage of women.
It would also be nice to occasionally spawn as an Adam.

Last edited by Anshin (2018-04-03 14:05:20)

#2 2018-04-02 21:14:08

MaKroW

Re: A Job for Men - Protect the Village!

This is misogynistic, I disapprove of this.
What if a woman identifies her as a man? The game mechanic shouldn't restrict her >:(

#3 2018-04-03 06:32:17

breezeknight

every method used violently for the good can also be used for the bad
like holding, slowing down, hunting a human
introduction of new method of violence will only open new areas to destructive violence

just like now the civilized usage of bow/arrow & the knife for the good of the community can be used to just kill humans

i agree though with the title of the thread - women constantly in danger to be flooded with babies are not suitable to do something about crime

but the protection of the village should rather tend towards GUARDING than chasing the culprits afterwards
- guarding of murder weapons in an enclosed area
- guarding enclosed farming areas, especially berry bushes

PREVENTION instead of REACTION

i am looking forward to come across a village where guards are managed efficiently, because we have already now in game all tools to prevent crime, we just didn't manage to implement them yet

#4 2018-04-03 10:07:44

Alleria

breezeknight wrote:

every method used violently for the good can also be used for the bad
like holding, slowing down, hunting a human
introduction of new method of violence will only open new areas to destructive violence

just like now the civilized usage of bow/arrow & the knife for the good of the community can be used to just kill humans

i agree though with the title of the thread - women constantly in danger to be flooded with babies are not suitable to do something about crime

but the protection of the village should rather tend towards GUARDING than chasing the culprits afterwards
- guarding of murder weapons in an enclosed area
- guarding enclosed farming areas, especially berry bushes

PREVENTION instead of REACTION

i am looking forward to come across a village where guards are managed efficiently, because we have already now in game all tools to prevent crime, we just didn't manage to implement them yet

I agree that guards are becoming a necessity, especially after the horse update. The problem is a guard is one extra mouth to feed, and they are just as likely to be a griefer than anyone else. I personally prefer 10-50% of the population being armed with knives, so that if there is a murderer, they are quickly sorted out. This way, if someone sees something "fishy" they can do something about it if need be. There is a big problem though when a good citizen kills a baddy then they are killed by someone ignorant. For this reason, I really like the idea of being able to restrain people.

I think with castle-like city design, we'll see improvements in anti-griefing.

"Words build bridges into unexplored regions"

#5 2018-04-03 13:25:41

Anshin

My hope with the slow-hold-drag system is that most griefers act alone.
A village would be able to cooperate enough to dispatch with a single other player. Since the biggest complaint is that griefers are too fast my hope is that slowing him down would allow other villagers to react, while preventing a single griefer from dragging you off or holding you on the spot to starve for example.

I think when you get teams of people on both sides fighting each other it really is more of a war scenario, and war in itself is a legit element of how civilizations behave. The complexity of a multi player assist system would be helpful. Take a look at the game "Fat Princess" where moving the princess target gets easier the more people are involved. Realistically the "princess" is more likely to be a criminal/griefer being dragged off by village guards. Or maybe there really is a need to organize a raid party to capture an Eve to repopulate your village.

TLDR: The important part is that a cooperative system of hands on interacting with others will benefit the group over the individual, and most of the time griefers act alone.

Board footer