One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-03 23:05:42

Spoonwood

Problem: Kerosone Pump?

I've run less than 6 kerosone pumps since the water changes.  I think only 3 come to think of it, but I'm not sure.  But, 2 of those times, the kerosone pump busted on the first use (one happened in the CCM mod... but I don't think that's relevant).  Has anyone else experienced this problem with the kerosone pump?  Is it common?

Note, if the kerosone pump busts on the first use, I think it has negative value overall, since it only nets 2 more buckets than the charcoal pump, requires a kerosone charge made by the use of water, and need both the roller and bore run to make, and requires one iron and a rope.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-06-04 00:02:34

lychee

Re: Problem: Kerosone Pump?

Jason had a thread on this some time ago, but idk if it got fixed.

There's a 5% chance that the pump exhausts each time it fires, and currently there's no method to count the number of cycles the object has been through since each firing creates a brand new object. There is no persistence of information from one firing cycle to another.

Last edited by lychee (2019-06-04 00:12:47)

#3 2019-06-04 00:08:26

Tarr
Banned

lychee wrote:

There's a 5% chance that the pump exhausts each time it fires, and currently there's no method to count the number of cycles the object has been through since each firing creates a brand new object. There is no persistence of information from one firing cycle to another.

Takes engine work so Jason couldn't do anything. It'll probably be another 15 years of game development before he returns to the world of water RNG. Worst I seen was a one use charcoal pump going exhausted instantly. I don't know how often we used our pump before Spoon broke it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-06-04 00:13:05

lychee

A brute force temporary solution could be:

Firing Cycle 1: "Newcomen Pump"

10% chance to transition to "Rickety Newcomen Pump" (a transitional object indicating an older pump that *could* exhaust).

Firing Cycle 2+: "Rickety Newcomen Pump"

10% chance to transition to "Exhausted Newcomen Pump".

The mathematics of this checks out such that you still have an expected value of 20 uses (1/0.1*2) on the pump, although the transitional object ensures there is at least two uses on the pump. By adding more transitional objects, you could guarantee a higher number of minimum uses.

Last edited by lychee (2019-06-04 00:20:39)

#5 2019-06-04 05:56:22

wio

Tarr wrote:
lychee wrote:

Takes engine work so Jason couldn't do anything. It'll probably be another 15 years of game development before he returns to the world of water RNG. Worst I seen was a one use charcoal pump going exhausted instantly. I don't know how often we used our pump before Spoon broke it.

I think that sort of engine work would be worth it all things considered. There already exists LiveDecayRecord storing timestamps for objects that decay. My guess is that he thinks the current solution is clever, so he is stubborn about not changing it. The problem with the current solution is you have to generate a bunch of transitions for every alternate form.

It would be really cool if containers used on countable targets would fill the container full or with however much remained. It would be so much better for players. Using buckets wouldn't be such a hassle. Bowl of berries would be easier to make. On that note, letting players use a container in hand on containable object to pick it up would be very helpful. I lack the years of game development to understand how tedious game mechanics are actually very interesting.

Board footer