One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-03 21:25:24

BerrypickerAF

Ultimate suggestion

The perfect suggestion even Jason can approve of:
Put a word-filter for "suggestion" and "idea" in the forums and instantly remove any topic/post which includes those words!

There, I just solved all your problems. Can't get upset at them is you can't see them! Bonus points if you also filter out anything containing 'critique'.

Last edited by BerrypickerAF (2019-06-03 21:28:39)

#2 2019-06-03 21:48:49

Dantox

Re: Ultimate suggestion

Seems good to me, please hand your certificate of 15+ years web design experience  and we will be ready to go.

make bread, no war

#3 2019-06-03 22:30:54

RodneyC86

I read that comment. Jason, that reeked of arrogance. I'm not sorry to say. You may have 15 years of programming experience but players here may have had that many years if not more of actually playing games from a consumer perspective , our views and suggestions matter. Even if you don't necessarily agree with whatever we suggest doesn't warrant being a peacock showing off it's feathers.

Repent!

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-03 22:31:47)

#4 2019-06-04 01:18:21

Tarr
Banned

Probably would be easier to make a subsection of the forums for suggestions only and then proceed to ban everyone who posts in it. This way Jason can root out those pesky people trying to help him fix the problems.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-06-04 01:44:03

pedrito confesiones

this is meeming so badly

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#6 2019-06-04 01:57:27

BerrypickerAF

Tarr wrote:

Probably would be easier to make a subsection of the forums for suggestions only and then proceed to ban everyone who posts in it. This way Jason can root out those pesky people trying to help him fix the problems.

Should name the subforum Donkey Town!
Ah shit that was a suggestion. I swear I didn't mean to I'm sorry!

#7 2019-06-04 01:59:32

Bob 101

Just change up the words

#8 2019-06-04 04:14:07

wio

Yeah it was arrogant thing he said, and the passive aggressive humour in response is funny, but let's not get too immature.

#9 2019-06-04 05:06:41

MultiLife

RodneyC86 wrote:

You may have 15 years of programming experience but players here may have had that many years if not more of actually playing games from a consumer perspective , our views and suggestions matter. Even if you don't necessarily agree with whatever we suggest

^
I have played games my whole life so that's 20+ years. I also studied game design and work as a game designer. What I've seen is a lot of seniors having hard time getting accustomed to new era of games (as they are mostly parenting at home, not playing that much). They are brilliant people and I look up to them, but I can see where my strenghts are when I work with them.

I am envious of all the brain power Jason has available for OHOL with the community. Any comment, idea and suggestion is worthwhile of writing and being read. Sure it's rare to have a perfect solution but nobody really comes up with one instantly at first. In my work, designers/devs make sure to run their prototypes by customers to ensure their implementation is truly what it should be, and ask around everyone if they feel it's not good enough.

2 brains is better than one. 100 brains is better than 2 (imagine all those strenghts in that bunch! So many perspectives!). Then it's just up to the one in charge to come up with options and land on the ultimate solution with teamwork.
At least that's how the best things have come to life in my... experience, if I can call 2 years in the field as that... heh.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-04 05:30:46)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-06-04 05:18:17

RodneyC86

MultiLife wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

You may have 15 years of programming experience but players here may have had that many years if not more of actually playing games from a consumer perspective , our views and suggestions matter. Even if you don't necessarily agree with whatever we suggest

^
I have played games my whole life so that's 20+ years. I also studied game design and work as a game designer. What I've seen is a lot of headstrong seniors having hard time getting accustomed to new era of games (as they are mostly parenting at home, not playing that much). They are brilliant people and I look up to them, but I can see where my strenghts are when I work with them.

I am envious of all the brain power Jason has available for OHOL. Any comment, idea and suggestion is worthwhile of writing and being read. Sure it's rare to have a perfect solution but nobody really comes up with one instantly at first. In my work, designers/devs make sure to run their prototypes by customers to ensure their implementation is truly what it should be, and ask around everyone if they feel it's not good enough.

2 brains is better than one. 100 brains is better than 2 (imagine all those strenghts in that bunch! So many perspectives!). Then it's just up to the one in charge to come up with options and land on the ultimate solution with teamwork.
At least that's how the best things have come to life in my... experience, if I can call 2 years in the field as that... heh.

Agree. I can't claim to be a programmer. I merely dipped my toes into coding flash, so I a bit understand it's a pain to program.

I will not mind an honest answer that the engine can't handle it. It didn't have to come off making us sound like we are all damn fools.

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-04 05:18:42)

#11 2019-06-04 05:36:25

MultiLife

RodneyC86 wrote:

Agree. I can't claim to be a programmer. I merely dipped my toes into coding flash, so I a bit understand it's a pain to program.

I will not mind an honest answer that the engine can't handle it. It didn't have to come off making us sound like we are all damn fools.

Yep. I wish I could do programming. Art took over on that side. I know some basics and working with programmers helps understanding the "language". I made a basic platformer on Construct which is like nothing but it did introduce me to the code side a tiny bit.
I love the intense brainstorming sessions I have with programmers where I manage to suggest a functional level generator system that is viable programming-wise (usually being like the third option I muster out).
If only I knew more about the engine Jason made I could do the same with OHOL.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#12 2019-06-04 06:46:43

futurebird

multilife can you send me an email? I have some questions to ask you. futurebird@gmail

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#13 2019-06-04 06:48:51

MultiLife

futurebird wrote:

multilife can you send me an email? I have some questions to ask you. futurebird@gmail

I'm off to work so it's gonna take a while, unless you'd like to chat in Discord or Steam or something.

#14 2019-06-04 09:25:08

pedrito confesiones

if you don't have 15+ game dev experience your opinion doesn't matter

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#15 2019-06-04 10:11:10

Erudaru

pedrito confesiones wrote:

Stop it with the suggestions already!!!! No one cares if you have 10 or 20 years of experience, Jason will call you directly if he needs your thoughts!

#16 2019-06-04 13:00:50

MultiLife

Erudaru wrote:
pedrito confesiones wrote:

Stop it with the suggestions already!!!! No one cares if you have 10 or 20 years of experience, Jason will call you directly if he needs your thoughts!

Oh my gosh, now I laughed out loud at my desk.

Board footer