One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-03 13:25:54

lychee

Suggestion: Bowls/Bucket/Basket uses on Soil/Water are Nonintuitive

When I first started playing OHOL, something that confused me immensely was why you couldn’t use a bowl on a pile of Composted Soil, or why not a bowl on a Cistern, or empty a half-full bucket into a cistern.

It didn’t make logical sense to me, and in fact it took me a long time to learn OHOL’s quirky mechanics because all the soil sprites look very similar. It’s a bit of a frustrating experience, and I’m sure all of us see new players struggling with this quirk all the time.

This is a suggestion for OHOL or CCM:

Bowls AND Buckets should work on Cisterns and similar water sources.
   Bowls AND Baskets should work on Compost and other soil sources.

Implementation:

1. Change the uses of a Compost Pile from 7 baskets to 21 bowls (the smallest unit).

2. Make bowls usable on Compost Piles.

3. Make Baskets decrement 3 uses on each transition.

If modifying the use code in OHOL is non-trivial, this approach can be brute-forced by making 21 Compost Pile objects (representing 1...21 uses). Using bowls makes transitions from object n to object n-1. Using baskets makes transitions from object n to object n-3.

I believe that changes like these are important quality of life improvements that make OHOL more approachable to new players.

PS.
- Please make salt water look obviously different from fresh water.
- Please allow us to dump salt water.

#2 2019-06-03 13:35:39

Tarr
Banned

Re: Suggestion: Bowls/Bucket/Basket uses on Soil/Water are Nonintuitive

Requires engine work. Can't have a cistern both hold buckets and bowls. As is, it either holds a bucket (10 water) or it holds a bowl (one water). This is why we don't see bowls already being usable on cisterns.

Would assume the same is true for compost piles.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-06-03 13:49:53

lychee

Tarr wrote:

Requires engine work. Can't have a cistern both hold buckets and bowls. As is, it either holds a bucket (10 water) or it holds a bowl (one water). This is why we don't see bowls already being usable on cisterns.

Would assume the same is true for compost piles.

Well, nUses is stored at an object level. It’s possible to use different objects of the same size (e.g. bowl vs. waterskin) on an object like a pond because each transition decrements nUses by 1, so it’s not really the issue of multiple objects, but rather the fact that nUses can’t decrement by a variable amount.

If the transition struct is changed such that the nUses column is changed from a Boolean to short (signed char would even work), it would be possible to have a transition increment or decrement nUses by a predetermined value.

Also, technically this is all brute-forceable without any engine work by making each “use” a new object. So 21 objects for a Compost Pile, with the transitions manually made. Of course, I don’t really expect Jason to find this to be an attractive solution since it would bloat the object table and transition table if a similar approach was taken for other things.

Last edited by lychee (2019-06-03 14:03:58)

#4 2019-06-03 14:41:38

futurebird

I recognize the technical difficulties of making this change but I agree that it would help new players a great deal. The current system makes sense once you learn it, but to new players it's not very friendly at all.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-06-03 14:54:46

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

Requires engine work.

So what?  If it's a problem worth fixing, then there's value in rewriting the engine.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-06-03 15:03:21

RodneyC86

Agree, currently fluids and their containment are very unintuitive. Struggled so badly as a newbie

#7 2019-06-03 15:40:51

testo

Spoonwood wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Requires engine work.

So what?  If it's a problem worth fixing, then there's value in rewriting the engine.

You just don´t know, your 18 games are no good. Still need one more to type engine.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#8 2019-06-03 16:22:59

Tarr
Banned

testo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Requires engine work.

You just don´t know, your 18 games are no good. Still need one more to type engine.

He doesn't understand. Doesn't have the 15+ years of game development to understand engine work means it's a no go suggestion.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-06-03 17:51:20

Spoonwood

testo wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Requires engine work.

Because the engine couldn't get written in any other way.  There's no way that the game could get emulated.  In fact, the Church-Turing got proved false yesterday... let me dig up the paper here... http://thatsmathematics.com/mathgen/pap … format=pdf

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-06-03 19:37:53

BladeWoods

Good suggestion.

#11 2019-06-03 21:21:34

BerrypickerAF

Dude don't even waste your time. Jason is either going to ignore your post, or get pissed off and make another passive-aggressive post.

#12 2019-06-03 21:50:41

pedrito confesiones

has game dev exp

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#13 2019-06-03 22:31:30

mrbah

why not make it so if a bucket holds 10 bowls of water, using a bucket on a cistern will remove 10 bowls and using a bowl on a cistern will use 1 bowl?
the question is: what does that mean for the newcomen engine, for instance, would jason have to create an object for "newcomen engine with 1 bowl in boiler, newcomen engine with 2 bowls in boiler" etc.

#14 2019-06-04 05:06:01

testo

mrbah wrote:

why not make it so if a bucket holds 10 bowls of water, using a bucket on a cistern will remove 10 bowls and using a bowl on a cistern will use 1 bowl?
the question is: what does that mean for the newcomen engine, for instance, would jason have to create an object for "newcomen engine with 1 bowl in boiler, newcomen engine with 2 bowls in boiler" etc.

Yeah sure, nobody could possible grief voluntarily or not that system. See you in 15 years!

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#15 2019-06-04 05:54:52

MultiLife

testo wrote:

Yeah sure, nobody could possible grief voluntarily or not that system. See you in 15 years!

That made me snort out loud.
And that is like the crying-laughing emote level of amusement.

But yes to OP, it's terribly unintuitive. Same as separating soil with a bowl. Baskets, bowls, soil, it's all mostly odd. Now if there was a crude watering can...

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#16 2019-06-04 14:20:45

Cookie

Omg, how dare you use the "s" word? Didn't you even stop to consider how many Jasons you may trigger?! Please at least use a warning for offensive content next time!

#17 2019-06-04 14:38:46

Tarr
Banned

Cookie wrote:

Omg, how dare you use the "s" word? Didn't you even stop to consider how many Jasons you may trigger?! Please at least use a warning for offensive content next time!

Yeah, I think this thread should be closed for using the S word. Using S*ggestion is super offensive and Jason is probably going to have a panic attack for seeing it.

For shame OP, I hope Jason can get over his ptsd.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer