One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-29 04:36:24

futurebird

A pacifist will never win in an arms race.

I've been seeing a lot of suggestions about what are essentially more tools to harm other players. Shackles, billy clubs, etc. I get the impulse. If you have a problem it's the direct approach. But I also think that we forget what fun such tools will be for griefers. If you are a player like me who isn't really interested in violence you will never be as skilled at using tools of violence as people who are.

Now I'm not exactly a pacifist not in this game or real life. But, I'm not interested in "combat" most players in this game aren't they just stand there when someone attacks, and you might find that unnatural but that is exactly how people react to violence IRL if they aren't familiar with it. It's only out of frustration that I've gotten to the point where I can stab the griefer when it needs to be done.

So, what kind of tools can peaceful people use?

-watch towers (a structure that let you look at the town on zoom when you go inside)
-tool racks (tools get stolen because it's a pain to account for them. Having a place for everything makes taking something much harder)
-Easier cursing: I don't use curses often and in some cases spelling the name correctly is an issue that keeps me from using it at all. I suspect that most players don't use their curse token and that's a good thing. It should be possible to click on a person and get their name typed in your bar for a curse. And if we are only allowed to curse in our own family why do we need to type the last name?
-no more griefing recruitment posts in the forum (Are you kidding me???)

Maybe there could be a "rare" curse token for outsiders. You only get one for every 4 hours of play but it works on anyone. IDK right now it's better than it was last week, but that isn't to say that I feel like the game is welcoming and supportive of constructive players.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-29 14:08:12

Bob 101

Re: A pacifist will never win in an arms race.

I'm all for watchtowers with built in zoomout, With the ability to shoot from within even if that isn't pacifist.

#3 2019-05-29 14:44:44

RodneyC86

Re: A pacifist will never win in an arms race.

Bob 101 wrote:

I'm all for watchtowers with built in zoomout, With the ability to shoot from within even if that isn't pacifist.

Griefer can also do that, shooting out of towers
It should just be a lookout tower

Getting off it to shoot a griefer doing their funny business shouldn't be too difficult anyway

Regarding arms race, no I don't think we should stop the arms race. Perhaps the right arms to use should just be more defensive in nature, strengthen the power of each individual villager.

Like the recent update that makes dancing impossible, it strengthen the villagers because targeting is much easier for everyone , rather than just griefers who likely will catch a villager standing at some point

Also, the other suggestion thread where citizen militia should be implemented , allowing anyone to bludgeon a griefer to the ground. A griefer is already going to use a knife or now anyway , they won't suddenly start to grief with a blunt weapon because that makes no sense at all. I'd like to see grandma beat up a bad man with a shovel

Also, for the village as a whole , especially against material griefers

MORE storage! Especially ones we can label, it'd be so nice of I can write/carve words onto sides of boxes so as to label what they are supposed to contain

Eg. Rope box beside the milkweed farm, toolboxes beside the smithy for storing less commonly used tools when done using (froe, adze, mallet, pick) , pie boxes, pottery box (please return your plates when you're done with your pie) near the kitchen.
This also helps the lookout tower person watch these important boxes easily and people notice stocks dwindling suddenly.

More storage also means motivation to fill up the empty spaces with goods, therefore, more production, hence more redundancy, therefore harder to grief by stealing

We just need a different sort of arms future bird.

Board footer