Re: Newer Player, 30hrs+2weeks, Quitting

Dodge wrote:

There is holes in that story

There are indeed.

BarnabyJones wrote:

I simply go to the middle of the town and ask if there are any skewers,

Here is the biggest one.

BarnabyJones wrote:

and immediately someone tells me to go find some (I can't leave and there are none within the gates) and that I'm a lazy fuck.

Barnaby, I told you to try north. And you remember your response? You do. Don't lie. You began to insult me.

And no one else told you to fuck off, just me, because you insulted me for not telling you exactly where you could find saplings.

We had a small grassland south, that I had fully explored, and a large grassland north, which I had not fully explored. I was working, and I politely responded to you, and in return, you flipped and started insulting me for what? For not telling you exactly where you could find skewers? I was working nonstop that life, as I often am. I stay busy and mind my own business, that's what keeps towns alive; work. You said you were looking for skewers, and I didn't know where to find them, but I knew that, so I wasn't about to stop and have a chat with you about why one thing was not nearby. If I want something, I get it. If I really want it, I might run for 10 years, just to find it, only two run back home for ten years.

I was not an elitist jerk to you until after you began to follow me and insult me.

I simply told you to try looking north.

And there were no gates on the north and south fences, I had long since removed the rope after they had decayed. I turned that rope into more useful things. The gates were not there and they hadn't been for quite some time.

I just want you to know that you were the one that turned that situation sour. I want everyone to know that. But no one killed you, you said you quit and just stopped eating, if I recall. No one killed you, I am fairly certain of that.

And I didn't tell you to go play Apex Legends, lol, I said Overwatch, not that it really matters.

Here is what I would have said if my life lasted longer than 60 minutes tops:

"I've been outside and around this town for about 3 springs in every direction, and I think your best bet, if you are looking for saplings to make skewers, would be to try checking the larger grassland north. The gates have long since decayed so you can travel freely for now, but if you do happen to see a gate, can't use it, and really want to get outside, I suggest asking some of the older people in town to pass ownership to you. I know these gates are a burden, especially since so much of the game is based on limited supplies of resources, and life is so short, messing with the gates and the fences just wastes so much precious time. I really wish the people who put them up could understand my side of things; that we don't have to kill each other and we don't have to fight for resources. We can still work together, just as we always have, no matter what malicious things Jason encourages us to do with these stupid updates of his. It really shows how disconnected he is from the game and the community when he adds things like this to it, rather things that would make it more positively interesting. Seems like he promised so much, yet we get so little. So we need to learn to make the best of everything we can, and if that means changing our plans sometimes because we can't find something like skewers, for, whatever we need them for (and there is no other way to mark your mothers grave, btw, and I have done that many times, for many great moms) then so be it. There is always something useful that can be done, even if it just means cleaning up after the last generation.

So, what do you need skewers for? Most people use them for arrows so I'm not too keen on pointing you in the right direction, if that is what you are after. I haven't seen many boars around. But if you really want to mark someones grave because they were someone you really bonded with, I'd be glad to change my plans to help you find some."

But instead I just said "Try north"

I'm sorry that wasn't what you wanted to hear at the moment.

But I would appreciate an apology in return as I forgive you for what you said and I am sorry it made you feel like quitting the game.

Just try to stay busy and do what you can with what you have in the range you are willing to travel, or, better yet, find a way out and explore the world. It is so important to see the world around you. Not only does it inform you of what is out there and where it is, but just your very presence initiates so many things. The rabbits begin breeding, the cacti begin to fruit, and heck, even the milkweed begin to flower. The rest of the world welcomes you. But if you really feel confined, and you don't like that feeling, well, there is always a new life. Or, feel free to rebel against that arrangement in whatever way pleases you. Find who is maintaining the fences and kill them if you like, that is, if they won't let you out after you've asked.

What more can I say?

Life is short, real life is short.

Focus on what feels right and don't get too caught up in problems.

Do what you can to make life better, for everyone.

But please, please don't insult people for not holding your hand through shadows.

"Try north"

Now how about that apology?

#27 2019-05-28 10:55:50

sigmen4020

Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

There are indeed.

BarnabyJones wrote:

Here is the biggest one.

BarnabyJones wrote:

and immediately someone tells me to go find some (I can't leave and there are none within the gates) and that I'm a lazy fuck.

Barnaby, I told you to try north. And you remember your response? You do. Don't lie. You began to insult me.

And no one else told you to fuck off, just me, because you insulted me for not telling you exactly where you could find saplings.

We had a small grassland south, that I had fully explored, and a large grassland north, which I had not fully explored. I was working, and I politely responded to you, and in return, you flipped and started insulting me for what? For not telling you exactly where you could find skewers? I was working nonstop that life, as I often am. I stay busy and mind my own business, that's what keeps towns alive; work. You said you were looking for skewers, and I didn't know where to find them, but I knew that, so I wasn't about to stop and have a chat with you about why one thing was not nearby. If I want something, I get it. If I really want it, I might run for 10 years, just to find it, only two run back home for ten years.

I was not an elitist jerk to you until after you began to follow me and insult me.

And there were no gates on the north and south fences, I had long since removed the rope after they had decayed. I turned that rope into more useful things. The gates were not there and they hadn't been for quite some time.

I just want you to know that you were the one that turned that situation sour. I want everyone to know that. But no one killed you, you said you quit and just stopped eating, if I recall. No one killed you, I am fairly certain of that.

And I didn't tell you to go play Apex Legends, lol, I said Overwatch, not that it really matters.

Here is what I would have said if my life lasted longer than 60 minutes tops:

"I've been outside and around this town for about 3 springs in every direction, and I think your best bet, if you are looking for saplings to make skewers, would be to try checking the larger grassland north. The gates have long since decayed so you can travel freely for now, but if you do happen to see a gate, can't use it, and really want to get outside, I suggest asking some of the older people in town to pass ownership to you. I know these gates are a burden, especially since so much of the game is based on limited supplies of resources, and life is so short, messing with the gates and the fences just wastes so much precious time. I really wish the people who put them up could understand my side of things; that we don't have to kill each other and we don't have to fight for resources. We can still work together, just as we always have, no matter what malicious things Jason encourages us to do with these stupid updates of his. It really shows how disconnected he is from the game and the community when he adds things like this to it, rather things that would make it more positively interesting. Seems like he promised so much, yet we get so little. So we need to learn to make the best of everything we can, and if that means changing our plans sometimes because we can't find something like skewers, for, whatever we need them for (and there is no other way to mark your mothers grave, btw, and I have done that many times, for many great moms) then so be it. There is always something useful that can be done, even if it just means cleaning up after the last generation.

So, what do you need skewers for? Most people use them for arrows so I'm not too keen on pointing you in the right direction, if that is what you are after. I haven't seen many boars around. But if you really want to mark someones grave because they were someone you really bonded with, I'd be glad to change my plans to help you find some."

But instead I just said "Try north"

I'm sorry that wasn't what you wanted to hear at the moment.

But I would appreciate an apology in return as I forgive you for what you said and I am sorry it made you feel like quitting the game.

Just try to stay busy and do what you can with what you have in the range you are willing to travel, or, better yet, find a way out and explore the world. It is so important to see the world around you. Not only does it inform you of what is out there and where it is, but just your very presence initiates so many things. The rabbits begin breeding, the cacti begin to fruit, and heck, even the milkweed begin to flower. The rest of the world welcomes you. But if you really feel confined, and you don't like that feeling, well, there is always a new life. Or, feel free to rebel against that arrangement in whatever way pleases you. Find who is maintaining the fences and kill them if you like, that is, if they won't let you out after you've asked.

What more can I say?

Life is short, real life is short.

Focus on what feels right and don't get too caught up in problems.

Do what you can to make life better, for everyone.

But please, please don't insult people for not holding your hand through shadows.

"Try north"

Now how about that apology?

Seems like almost every time someone complains about a persons “unreasonable” behavior in game there is more to the story.

Really makes ya think.

I know how it’s like since I was a victim of it myself just the other day.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#28 2019-05-28 11:05:30

The_Anabaptist

If you are upset enough to think about quitting the game, then venting your frustrations on the forums is not enough.

Until you post a negative review and clearly, but briefly, state the crux of your concern and the 94% positive rating on the home page (and whatever Steam is trending at) as a result trends lower, the developer will probably continue to ignore the issues at hand.

I say that by learning it the hard way.

The_Anabaptist

#29 2019-05-28 16:08:01

BarnabyJones

Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

There are indeed.

BarnabyJones wrote:

Here is the biggest one.

BarnabyJones wrote:

I'm going to stop you right there. I think you hastily said check North and then IMMEDIATELY started calling me lazy and to find some myself and getting everyone riled up (again, despite not being able to get out of town anyway). If all you had said was "Check North" there would have been no reason for me to be upset about anything, I don't get upset over someone telling me to check in a certain direction. It's what you immediately started saying afterwards, and you're conveniently ignoring that you did, and blame me instead.

Morti wrote:

That is not true, there were at least 3 others also joining in. It was the last game I played so I remember clearly.

Morti wrote:

I wish I knew how to record games because you DID NOT RESPOND POLITELY. That's a huge load of bullshit. You immediately attacked me and called me lazy. I didn't know about the gates decaying because when I had checked earlier they were being built. You are trying to make this look like you were so nice to me and just simply told me to check North. Dude, you're delusional. You were immediately rude and then started insulting me, questioning my contributions and other people then joined in.

Morti wrote:

Middle school behavior regardless.

I'm not apologizing as I did not lie about anything, and again, I do not plan on playing this game anymore so why would I apologize to a toxic player that made me feel the most unwelcome out of anyone else in the game and was nasty for absolutely no reason other than I'm new and wasn't elite. I don't remember starving, but it's possible because I was so busy trying to defend myself, I thought I had been killed since I died so abruptly. When I died there were several people saying nasty things to me, all that you started.

Last edited by BarnabyJones (2019-05-28 16:17:25)

#30 2019-05-28 16:14:36

OminousBladeBlank

BarnabyJones wrote:
Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

There are indeed.

BarnabyJones wrote:

Here is the biggest one.

BarnabyJones wrote:

I'm going to stop you right there. I think you hastily said check North and then IMMEDIATELY started calling me lazy and to find some myself and getting everyone riled up (again, despite not being able to get out of town anyway)

Morti wrote:

That is not true, there were at least 3 others also joining in. It was the last game I played so I remember clearly.

Morti wrote:

I wish I knew how to record games because you DID NOT RESPOND POLITELY. That's a huge load of bullshit. You immediately attacked me and called me lazy. I didn't know about the gates decaying because when I had checked earlier they were being built. You are trying to make this look like you were so nice to me and just simply told me to check North. Dude, you're delusional. You were immediately rude and then started insulting me, questioning my contributions and other people then joined in.

Morti wrote:

I'm not apologizing as I did not lie about anything, and again, I do not plan on playing this game anymore so why would I apologize to a toxic player that made me feel the most unwelcome out of anyone else in the game and was nasty for absolutely no reason other than I'm new and wasn't elite. I don't remember starving, but it's possible because I was so busy trying to defend myself, I thought I had been killed since I died so abruptly. When I died there were several people saying nasty things to me, all that you started.

Holy shit if you want to quit, quit. So many ppl spam this site with "THE GAME IS DEAD JASON IS STUPID THE COMMUNITY IS TOXIC" and yet I play, and there are still mad ppl playing, and many of them are quite pleasant. In fact, I have a hard time believeing that the community was toxic to you for no reason -- unless you were just randomly murdered. Unless you do something weird or bad, ppl usually leave you alone.

What is an ominous blade blank?

It's that blade blank next to the file and short staff you see in a naked toddler's basket.

#31 2019-05-28 18:48:06

Léonard

BarnabyJones wrote:

I wish I knew how to record games

That's interesting.

Did you know that by default the game does record demos?

I don't remember how many it keeps around but the folder can easily add up to a couple GBs because the demo files are literally in plain text (uncompressed, nice part of the engine I guess).

I disabled this a while ago myself but if you didn't touch any settings regarding demo recording yourself the demo should still be inside the "recordedGames" folder.
Anyone can play the demo back so if you could compress and upload it everyone could see what happened word for word.

Last edited by Léonard (2019-05-28 18:48:48)

#32 2019-05-28 19:07:17

Dodge

Yeah games are recorded automatically

check the folder called "recordedGames"

Find the recorded game by date and put it in "playbackGame" then lauch game to see the playback.

#33 2019-05-28 19:21:09

Psykout

Thank you Morty for taking the time to make the post you have, full of thought and wisdom, forgiveness but also standing your ground. It's a pleasure to see you are still active in the game and I wish you good health. Life is short and it shouldn't be squandered in conflict, it plagues our real life world too often, and has no place in what we attempt to take pleasure in during our off times.

#34 2019-05-28 22:52:14

testo

BarnabyJones wrote:
Morti wrote:
Dodge wrote:

There are indeed.

BarnabyJones wrote:

Here is the biggest one.

BarnabyJones wrote:

I'm going to stop you right there. I think you hastily said check North and then IMMEDIATELY started calling me lazy and to find some myself and getting everyone riled up (again, despite not being able to get out of town anyway). If all you had said was "Check North" there would have been no reason for me to be upset about anything, I don't get upset over someone telling me to check in a certain direction. It's what you immediately started saying afterwards, and you're conveniently ignoring that you did, and blame me instead.

Morti wrote:

Morti wrote:

Morti wrote:

Dude come on. You just built a big thing out of somebody telling you skewers are north polite or not.

You lost all credibility among decent players. Next time start by telling "Help, im new" or "Can you help me". This is no longer about toxicity, this is about entitlement. You are not entitled to my time to help you, It is that simple. Sorry to break your bubble.

And last, there is no way an elite can raise behind forced anonymity.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#35 2019-05-28 22:54:03

BarnabyJones

Dodge wrote:

Find the recorded game by date and put it in "playbackGame" then lauch game to see the playback.

Ok so I was able to watch it (it was very long as I had 2 previous lives in it) - however, I don't feel comfortable sharing due to the fact that my e-mail and game code is clearly visible at the beginning... is there a way to remove that part?

Essentially, on recap and seeing again, I was minding my own business (farming for stews), missed an opportunity to have ownership of the South gate (I was working and not paying attention). I started asking someone if they had seen skewers because they wanted to plant milkweed and I greenbeans, and that could be done with a hoe (which I didn't know about at the time) or a skewer. They then went off to try to make a hoe but couldn't accomplish this (I didn't know why they were doing this as I thought, again, that I could only use a skewer, remember.. I'm NEW). I then asked for skewers saying "Need skewers, hardcore" -- to which Morti here, who was working on building a road quite quickly exclaimed "go get them" ... and I said "that's helpful" and then he said "North" & "go find some" & "lazy fuck" .. my friend then came up and said they couldn't make a hoe to which I said "here's a hoe" "she's making this road" "and being rude" -- to which Morti then started to flip out, calling me more names with the adjective lazy spread around and then something about my "low low IQ" and that I need to play Overwatch, I literally did not respond other than trying to defend myself about what I had done so far, and then called him an "asshole" after much berating from him and then "fuck this town", cursed Morti for being an asshole, and starved.. Before I did someone told him to kill me. I really don't mind sharing the footage, you'll see I clearly did nothing to warrant the hostile responses I got. I just don't want to share it with my personal e-mail and my game code so clearly visible at the beginning.

Last edited by BarnabyJones (2019-05-28 22:55:57)

#36 2019-05-28 22:58:28

BarnabyJones

testo wrote:

Dude come on. You just built a big thing out of somebody telling you skewers are north polite or not.

You lost all credibility among decent players. Next time start by telling "Help, im new" or "Can you help me". This is no longer about toxicity, this is about entitlement. You are not entitled to my time to help you, It is that simple. Sorry to break your bubble.

I have no idea who you are. But you sound like an elitist by telling someone new that they needed to proclaim they are new to be helped out. I didn't feel entitled to anything. I just wanted to know where some skewers were.. god Damn. People like you are exactly why I will not play this game again, so you can call me entitled or whatever you want, I literally will never speak to you again, and I'm ok with that. I'm simply active in this thread because people think I'm lying, and I will defend my integrity when I know I did not deserve to be treated disrespectfully or called a liar by a bunch of people who have no clue what even happened.

#37 2019-05-28 23:02:17

RodneyC86

BarnabyJones wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Ok so I was able to watch it (it was very long as I had 2 previous lives in it) - however, I don't feel comfortable sharing due to the fact that my e-mail and game code is clearly visible at the beginning... is there a way to remove that part?

Essentially, on recap and seeing again, I was minding my own business (farming for stews), missed an opportunity to have ownership of the South gate (I was working and not paying attention). I started asking someone if they had seen skewers because they wanted to plant milkweed and I greenbeans, and that could be done with a hoe (which I didn't know about at the time) or a skewer. They then went off to try to make a hoe but couldn't accomplish this (I didn't know why they were doing this as I thought, again, that I could only use a skewer, remember.. I'm NEW). I then asked for skewers saying "Need skewers, hardcore" -- to which Morti here, who was working on building a road quite quickly exclaimed "go get them" ... and I said "that's helpful" and then he said "North" & "go find some" & "lazy fuck" .. my friend then came up and said they couldn't make a hoe to which I said "here's a hoe" "she's making this road" "and being rude" -- to which Morti then started to flip out, calling me more names with the adjective lazy spread around and then something about my "low low IQ" and that I need to play Overwatch, I literally did not respond other than trying to defend myself about what I had done so far, and then called him an "asshole" after much berating from him and then "fuck this town", cursed Morti for being an asshole, and starved.. Before I did someone told him to kill me. I really don't mind sharing the footage, you'll see I clearly did nothing to warrant the hostile responses I got. I just don't want to share it with my personal e-mail and my game code so clearly visible at the beginning.

Screen record, playback and start recording after the email part

#38 2019-05-28 23:08:18

testo

BarnabyJones wrote:
testo wrote:

I have no idea who you are. But you sound like an elitist by telling someone new that they needed to proclaim they are new to be helped out. I didn't feel entitled to anything. I just wanted to know where some skewers were.. god Damn. People like you are exactly why I will not play this game again, so you can call me entitled or whatever you want, I literally will never speak to you again, and I'm ok with that. I'm simply active in this thread because people think I'm lying, and I will defend my integrity when I know I did not deserve to be treated disrespectfully or called a liar by a bunch of people who have no clue what even happened.

It is not about being elitist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite By definition an elite has a power or supremacy. By definition every player in this game as the same power.

So no. Drop elitism in your head.

You say you have 30 hours and 2 weeks of play and can´t find a skewer. Please leave this game alone. Thank you.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#39 2019-05-28 23:50:08

BarnabyJones

testo wrote:
BarnabyJones wrote:
testo wrote:

It is not about being elitist. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elite By definition an elite has a power or supremacy. By definition every player in this game as the same power.

So no. Drop elitism in your head.

You say you have 30 hours and 2 weeks of play and can´t find a skewer. Please leave this game alone. Thank you.

Gladly. I was in a gated town without access to the gates btw, at least from what I had scouted earlier. Apparently they were taken down later, but I wasn't keen to it. In fact, one was being build and I accidentally mucked it up, so I put it back together for fear of annoying anyone (how ironic). I know where skewers are and how to get them, but I wasn't able to access outside of my town. Sorry, not sorry. I feel like you're just trolling me so I won't bother with you any more. Again, it's people exactly like you why I won't be playing this game. In fact, this is my last interaction with the community. For those of you who felt some sort of sympathy / empathy, I appreciate it, you are good people, and I hope you continue to enjoy playing this game, because that's what games are for. Enjoyment. When I run into people like Mr. Morti and Mr. testo here, it is no longer enjoyable for me, and that's fine. It's a personal choice. I wish you all well, take care. Remember, we only have one life for real, so don't be an asshole.

Last edited by BarnabyJones (2019-05-28 23:52:49)

#40 2019-05-29 04:52:40

Morti

Yes, I am guilty of calling you a lazy fuck.

I'm sorry for that.

Whether I said it before or after you called me a hoe, (which is a classic insult, very tasteful, contextually) is a little important, but, not really. I am sorry for what I said and I am sorry that I did not do enough that life, prior to this interaction, to make your life one you felt was worth experiencing.

But I would really like for you to find a way to share that video.

I will completely accept anything I am responsible for and I will explain my side of things with each interaction. And it'd just be interesting to watch a life through someone else's experience. I so wish I could do the same, I really do. Maybe there is a way?

I'll check.

Here is what I have in recorded games.

vwOdNnq.png

I don't recall what day it was, or what time, I am on Eastern Daylight Time, so, my dates and times are currently +5 UTC.

Just let me know when it was, I'll find a way to show you that whole life from my perspective. I don't know how, but I will, maybe someone else that does this sort of thing more often can give us some advice.

I know I insulted you for not trying to find the thing yourself. I shouldn't have done that.
I assumed you had a low IQ. I shouldn't have done that, that was stupid of me.
I told you to go play another game if you couldn't handle this one. I didn't mean that. I want to live more lives with you.

Obviously we were both hurt by that exchange. We both responded unkindly to one another. And for whatever fraction of that total unkindness I am personally responsible, I apologize for my lack of self control.

I understand how you feel about the fences. I do not appreciate them either. They are not worth the effort and they are not worth the sacrifices. The game begins with a world that we are free to traverse, resources are shared and people have learned not to be attached to objects. We work with what we have, when we have it, and we make the most of it. If we run low on food, water or iron, then that becomes our focus, or we know that what everyone has done before us, will be lost, and everything else we do that life, will be lost as well. Nothing should impede us from reaching out into the world to get what we need to keep ourselves and the other players alive.

There are important distinction to be made here; firstly, the distinction between players and the rest of the world and secondly distinction between items in use and those waiting to be used.

Here I will tell you a tale of murder done by my hands, which will exemplify the second distinction. A girl was born just before me one life and was given not only all the items from a recent elder death, but who drew the attention of many people who showered her affection. Even the blacksmith took it upon himself to let her know he could and would make anything for her she wanted. She was their focus in that moment, and I, being born seconds later, a girl as well, missed out on a lot of that. I was not jealous though. I was happy for her, but more than that, I was happy for the town; for the people. They had her now, and, they had me and odds were I would not die, as long as I kept to myself and carried on working. I would explore the land, as I have always done, I would take into account all the locations of wild berry bushes and cacti. I would make omelettes from spare plates and keep the soil flowing into the farms. All the easy stuff, but all the stuff that's really important. But on top of that, I would build the roads that make the town a place that people are a little happier to be in.

So after taking in the landscape at a very early age, I found a person who had passed away with a few items of clothing, out in the woods, and I found some snares and began trapping rabbits for the remainder of items I needed, as well as a backpack. Well, on my third or fourth rabbit the girl comes along, says nothing, but takes the snares. I decided not to chase her down and ask for the snares back, instead, I decide that since she is fully clothed, she would save more food and accomplish more in the prairie and wold then return with the rabbits and I could make my clothes and pack from those. So I went back home with the rabbits I had and began to make a bowl of food for the sheep, to get a ball of thread. I did. I made a new hat and a new pair of pants and there was a few extra pieces of fur around, so I figured I'd wait till she got back and in the meantime I'd work on cutting some wood for the fire and roads around the farms. Maybe cut a few extra boards for a new building, we'd see. I scout the paths to the nearest springs and decide which trees I will remove and where I will make paths. Then I make an extra axe and shovel for the job and I set out into the swamp to clear the path. I cut some trees, remove some stumps, cut some more trees and begin to remove stumps, not even 20 trees into the job and now the girl shows up. She says nothing and takes the axe at my feet and runs off with it. I take a deep breath. I'll take this opportunity to go check on the rabbits, she must have brought some back. There are no new rabbits near the furs. I look around the camp, no new rabbits anywhere. Well, she probably made something out in the prairie and left them there. I find the snares not far from where we had met near a few abandoned rabbit holes.

I carry on for a few minutes trapping rabbits in families, hauling baskets of rabbits to the edge of the prairie closest to town but the thread is gone. I make another bowl of lamb food, shear the old sheep, and finish my pack. I pass by the oven and the nursery to see the girl, eating pies, running around the fire, backpack with thread. Two axes near the fire. I take a pie and an axe and I go back to the woods to carry on cutting the path for the flat rock road to the next spring. The girl shows up on a horse and cart, briefly, takes the shovel and rides off. The other shovel probably broke and she needed that one for compost. That's fine, I'll make a new one. Turned out she broke it on the dead bodies around the nursery, rather than move them. The broken tool left near the last body. Someone else is trying to tell her not to bury bodies near the nursery, but she doesn't reply. I tell her it's rude to take things that people are using, but she doesn't reply. She just runs off. I sigh, but I also notice she has had two kids now, a boy and a girl and her mom is clothing them from the remains of the dead men.

What to do?

At that time, in hindsight, I probably should have stopped working  and stood near the fire and fed the kids, but I didn't. Instead I went to work ensuring the farms were still producing food and turned a few logs into boards because I wanted these kids to have a nice looking farm to work on. Cart after cart, I am alternating between bringing in logs and bringing in baskets of soil, and I noticed the horse cart several times as I passed the fence. No one was using it, so I should be. I take the horse out, but with this new speed I figure I'll take in a little more of the land. I see many flat rocks and before heading home, I find a fully clothed body with a back pack. In the pack was a knife, a pie and a few bananas. I put the pack and other items of clothing in the horse cart, I put the knife and pie in my own and bring the clothing and pack to the nursery where new children can benefit from them. On the way home I pass through the desert, get some cactus fruit to mix with the bananas for someones yum bonus and I grab a flat rock to place on the road to the spring. The girl has had a third kid, the other two are working at the smithy and on the farm, I recognize they know what they are doing and so I go back to work gathering flat rocks for the road, with the horse cart. Four more flat rocks on the road, I repeat this several times. The road is halfway done to the new spring. I gather stones for the well after making baskets from wheat and reeds. Still a few stumps on the path of the road, I drop the baskets off at the pen and take the shovel. I dig a few stumps, dig the well, return the shovel to the pen, kill a few sheep, load the baskets with mutton and drop them off at the bakery.

Then I set out for more flat rocks to finish the road. I am part way through taking the flat rocks out of cart to place on the road. Two flat rocks remain in the cart, and the girl, who now has grey hair runs down the road, gets on the horse, and rides it back to town. I just want to finish the road. My goodness, if nothing else she could have at least dumped out the flat rocks, but she didn't even do that. I don't mind using the hand cart if she wants to use the horse but I'd like to put those flat rocks in the road.

I follow her back into town and stand in the middle. I watch as she rides around town, doing nothing with the horse cart. I'm not happy with this person anymore. Somewhere in that moment, watching her ride around the town with those two flat rocks in the horse cart. I decided I'd had enough. She would not respond as I was trying to talk to her, she didn't do anything with the horse cart. She just rode around town, I don't know what she was looking for, if anything, maybe just another shovel to break on some dead bodies around the berry farm? I just don't know. But I kept her in my sight while standing between her and the berry farm, and eventually she came in, parked the horse near a bush and I pulled out the knife and stabbed her.

People thanked me. Someone asked why I did it, and I explained she just kept taking things I was using and I'd had enough. One of the other kids said it was okay and began complaining about her, but it didn't make me feel any better. I don't think I should have stabbed her. After I did, she said "What the fuck?" and then just started asking everyone to curse me before she died. The only people around were her kids and my dying mother. My mother said it was okay. One of her kids was standing next to me with a loaded bow. I don't remember if they cursed me as well. I have to look at the keyboard when I type. I was just trying to explain why I did it and was willing to accept the curses or even death at that point if it meant letting this person know I was unhappy with the way they were treating me in that life.

It was wrong of me to kill them and it was wrong of me to say what I did to you Barnaby.

I'm sorry.

Whenever I feel responsible for someones death I go into clean up mode. It's strange. I focus on the dead. I organize the bodies into a graveyard, and I look at them, and I think about all the lives simultaneously. Here in the town I live, one of the largest pieces of forest for kids to play in, is located near the cemetery. We rode our bikes there a lot, and I spent a lot of time there, day and night, thinking about all those people. About the lives they lived, about their parents and about their children. I went there are night several times, after watching Thriller and Dawn of the Dead and all those types of movies. Back when I used to wonder if there was any truth to the story of ghosts or souls or afterlives. Back when I was twelve and thirteen. My time spent at night in the graveyard made me realize there is no truth to any of that. What there is, is a deeper reflection on our own existence, and deeper respect to gain for the lives of those that came before us. The whole lives, each and every one of them. Every one of those people managed so much of the mundane that we take for granted, sometimes. Sometimes we take it for granted. Sometimes we reflect on our own lives and what we have to do and we can see that in others. We can imagine it, in everyone we've never met.

I don't mind being in graveyards. I don't even mind seeing the dead. But I care for the living. I care for life itself. And I recognize that most people are most alive when death is out of their minds. Removing bodies from living and working areas helps with that.

--

Life has a lot of respect for itself. Sometimes we don't notice it because we're in it, we're fighting with it; fighting with each other. It can seem like that's what life is all about. Unless you look at the vast majority of time life has existed on this planet and realize it wasn't about competition during the vast majority of that time, certainly not direct competition. The resources on this planet were not bound up in other cells or other life forms and they still aren't to this day. Life has just become about consuming other life, far into the latter half of it's existence. That self-consumptive trend peaked with the dinosaurs, but while great fish ruled the oceans and terrifying creatures walked the lands, we, mammals, we hid away and cared more for our families than any other class in the animal kingdom. We give more time to each others and in that time we've developed things like this; language.

We're not in the game right now. If you have time to play the game, you have time to not play it and instead choose to spend that time communicating with others. I like playing this game for a lot of reasons, but I think the most important ones is not so much to deal with communication at all. At least, not external communication. It's that feeling I suspect every parent knows, far better than I ever will. That satisfaction you get seeing a child and knowing in some way, that no matter what, life will carry on.

I know that some people are not in this mindset, or at least don't value it as much as I do. Odds are half of you value it more than I do. But for the last few patches, it would seem that Jason is catering to the other half. The cannibals of life; the cannibals of time. Both sides will always hide in the niches of the other and the organism, the town and the game, as whole will learn to adapt through the experiences of successive generations.

If you understand why the fences and gates are a burden, don't repair them, let the towns choked by them continue to die.

There are no monoliths, no 'nosaj's, in real life and no curses.

If these things can be implemented into a game, than so can others; better things.

Jason is not beholden to history to repeat all the processes of it that lead to the unhappiness people have had to experience due to our mistakes. He does not have to recreate the suffering for the sake of story. Fuck stories. Fuck Tynan Sylvester and fuck Tarn Adams. I love their games but we don't need to recreate suffering to learn from it and get passed it.

This is the mistake of game designers who try to come off as being altruistic. Who think that by making games about people who kill themselves off by blowing up the planet or wiping out humanity, or even just about killing a bad guy, think that they are making the world a better place for everyone who experiences their works, or for humanity as a whole, as the players then go on to ripple that message through the people around them.

We don't have to kill killers to prevent people from killing each other. We don't have public executions anymore and the crime rates are lower than ever, despite the definition of crime being so much broader and crimes getting so much more attention in the media. We are at the stage where we have more things figured out than ever before and we pass on that knowledge via education, which is also better than it's ever been. But we don't have to simulate the struggle to climb this slope. We're already here, and we know it. Even if we are also taught to tolerate violence or even to see killers as heroes. We have to learn to recognize that the people who want us to think like that, are ultimately the ones who are evil. They are the ones profiting from struggle. Where as we all profit from growth; the addition of material into the biomass of the whole planet, by the actions of primary producers who are not fighting each other but developing slowly and steadily to transform water, sunlight and raw minerals, into life.

--

I'm sorry, this is why I don't post on the forums very often. It's hard for me to stop typing once I start, unless I felt I've said everything I feel the need to say about everything, and that's just impossible given the number of billiard balls racked into the break that is every event in history.

I just have to stop typing.

Barnaby, I am sorry.

#41 2019-05-29 05:14:46

RodneyC86

Holy shit Morti that's is the longest apology message I have ever bear witness to.

He is probably gone though. -_-

Board footer